Differances between F 25 vs F 26 ?

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

All f boats have wood stringers
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
MadBen
Sporadic User

Post by MadBen »

A good many production boats have wood stringers. The F-series is no different. It is still an "all glass boat"
Dog house, your boat has a V-Drive Chrysler 318...am I right?. Your shaft angle is slightly different than the ensuing models of the F-26 or 25. Meaning it is a little flatter and less likely to give you the bow steer all are speaking of. Your prop is not pushing down as much and therefore not pushing the bow down. That said,
bow steer comes from all types of conditions...ie; too much tab, too much throttle in the wrong conditions...and the list goes on. Getting to know how your boat handles in all conditions is what is important. You'll figure it out real quick what to do and not to do.
The Dog House
Active User

Post by The Dog House »

MadBen wrote: Dog house, your boat has a V-Drive Chrysler 318...am I right?
That is correct. My boat has a Chrysler 318 with a Velvet Drive transmission and Paragon V-Drive. The engine was rebuilt a few years ago and has 254 hours on it. When I was looking at the boat before I bought it, the 318 just purred in a very content way. I could tell by the sound that the engine loves to run.

I really like the setup of the drivetrain so far. I just bought the boat a few months ago, so I have a lot to learn. I have 15 years experience driving boats, but only about 5 hours driving a single screw inboard. If I can get through this first season without doing too much damage, I should be fine.

I'm not too worried about the bow steer. My wife and daughter prefer to cruise at slower speeds (~18 kts.), and as long as I keep the trim right I don't expect to have too much trouble. Again, it will be a learning experience.
1993 Sea Ray 200 Overnighter OB with 1993 Mercury 150 hp Outboard
1979 Starcraft 14' Rowboat with 2011 Mercury 9.9 hp Outboard
Former boat: 1971 Trojan F26
MadBen
Sporadic User

Post by MadBen »

Doghouse, That Chrysler 318 was born to run. Very good engine...and I love the way they sound too.
As I have said on this forum before, just figure the direction your boat reverses and keep the wheel turned that same way. Forward and reverse clutch should get you into your slip or a fuel dock...anywhere w/o alot of fanfare. Good Luck!!!
summer storm
Moderate User

Post by summer storm »

The Dog House wrote:
jon_e_quest wrote:Bryan,

First, a few technicalities to correct from those earlier posts.

2. I can't find definitive proof that the early F-26 ('71-'72) was called the Model 260. Considering that other Trojan models introduced prior to 1973 have 'oddball' model designations, I doubt it. Maybe an early F-26 owner can chime in.
The model designation of the 1971 F26 was Model 231.
Dog house is correct it is a 231 and the strut is a 1" X 15 degree drop
Doug

1977 F-32
1982 Chris Craft 280
1992 Boston Whaler 13 Super Sport Limited
1974 F-25 (Sold)
1979 F-26 (sold)