f28 prop info

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

diecaptdean

f28 prop info

Post by diecaptdean »

does anyone know the original props that were used on a 1976 trojN F28
?

i have twin chrysler 225hp 318 v 8's with v drives....this boat was, for many years a charter fishing boat..i have been told that it was re propped
for trolling...i believe this as the fastest i hae had the boat running is roughly 18kts..( this was empty, with the wind at my back...on flat water...down hill)....rpm top out at 4300rpm........if i have three people with me, at 3200 rpm, she will run at 12kts......this displeases me as i have been told thatthis boat should top 20kts at cruise speed...
i have had the boat out of the water....my props are 15" with 9deg pitch
the look tiny on the boat....any factual info would be of great help

thanks
dean
Tom Scott

Prop question

Post by Tom Scott »

Dean:

I have a 1976 F30 with the same engines. The owners manual is generic and does not specify what props came new with the boat.
I researched and found from the critics corner that Lakeland Boating Magazine in 1976 had a good article on the F30 and listed all the details from the factory and the critics.
Check it out: Stainless Steel 14 inch dia. 11 pitches and a super cup new from the factory. Your boat is over propped and your working the heck out of your engines. 4000 rpm was rated red line according to the article.
I feel the same way you do. I see similar low speeds as well but the new test boat was clean, dry, and no fly bridge. No water in the potable water tank and very little fuel Im sure.
I am using 13 inch 8 pitch medium cupped bronze props. My engines are not working hard and the boat go's on step very quick. I do lack the speed though and see on a good day 13 - 15 knots.

Good Luck
Tom Scott