New Boater Needs help

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

1tm315

New Boater Needs help

Post by 1tm315 »

Hello... My name is Randy, I live in Florida and recently purchased a 1963 Seabreaze. I am new to boating and have never owned one before. I love old cars and have been restoring them for a while. Thinking along the same lines I have endeavored on a restoration project with this boat. I really love the styling and woodwork on these old boats. I tried to start, (the original) motor today and always hearing that you should never run a boat motor without pumping water through it I proceeded to attach a garden hose to the waterpump inlet hose. I let the water run full force through this hose and water was running out the exhaust at a pretty good rate. I then tried to crank the engine. Knowing a good bit about car engines, I knew something was wrong when the engine cranked very very slow with a brand new battery! Figuring I would check the compression in each cylinder, I removed the spark plugs and cranked the motor. As I suspected water blew out of the cylinders! Here's where my ignorance may or may not come in... I knew the water circulated through the water jackets and exhaust manifolds, but is it possible that I pumped too much water into the engine?? Or is it as I suspect and I have a crack or blown head gasket? The previous owner listed the boat as "running" and I did not test it before bringing it home. Can someone give me some information on the mechanics of these old motors? I don't know which engine this is, only that it says 188 HP on the valve cover along with the name fireball.

Please help!
Thanks,
Randy
rossjo
Ultimate User

Its Monday

Post by rossjo »

Its Monday now - and if you haven't torn down the engine and cleaned everything immediately - its too late.
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17
1tm315

Post by 1tm315 »

Thanks! Do you think it is a head gasket or did the water backflow from the exhaust?
rossjo
Ultimate User

exhaust

Post by rossjo »

I would guess exhaust - hard to tell - You might tear it down and pickle everything quickly and save it its fresh water. If its salt, you're probably out of luck ...
1tm315

Post by 1tm315 »

Thanks! It is fresh water... Is there a reason the water has to circulate through these exhaust manifolds?? Why can't you run water through a 3 core radiator with a couple of electric fans to cool the engine?
Or is this so the exhaust manifolds and pipes don't get too hot? It just seems like a strange design
rossjo
Ultimate User

yes

Post by rossjo »

The axhaust must be cooled t... and you really can't air cool a radiator in a boat (this would make a nice furnace for winter cruises though!).

I would tear it down quickly and pickle evrything - but is it even worth saving? Thats up to you and your mechanic.
1tm315

Post by 1tm315 »

Thanks.... I am planning on replacing the engine, however I am not even sure what type of engine it is yet?? I need to find out which replacement engines will bolt to the velvet drive. If any GM engine will work then I am home free. I just haven't been able to find out what kind of engine I have in this thing. I would like to just be able to buy a GM crate motor and assemble all the marine components on the block.
rossjo
Ultimate User

engine type?

Post by rossjo »

Mercury engine? Crusader? Ford? Checy? 4, 6 or 8 cyl?

What colr is it? L-4, L6, V-6 or V-8? Distribtor in front or back?
1tm315

Post by 1tm315 »

It is a V8 it is Red and it says Fireball 188HP on the valve cover. The flywheel is in the front as is the starter, alternator, and waterpump. The distributor is also in the front. I would insert a picture of an engine that looks exactly like the one in my boat with the exception of the distributor and flywheel location, however I cannot figure out how to upload one in this forum. I hope this helps someone identify the engine make for me. I want to find out which other engines will interchange with the bolt on parts so I can buy a crate motor and bolt on all the marine equipment.

Thanks![/img]
rossjo
Ultimate User

Fireball 188

Post by rossjo »

The Fireball 188 is an old (60's) Gray Marine engine, base on a small block GM 327 CI engine ...
# 188hp @ 4000 rpm
# 4" x 3-1/4"
# 327 cid
# 9.5:1 compression ratio

Heres a good discussion board on these engines ...

http://www.oldmarineengine.com/discus/m ... /6448.html

I don't know much abou them personally.
boatman2100

327 AMC

Post by boatman2100 »

I had a pair of these in my 63 34' Sea Voyager. Great running motors. All parts are available. Except for the EXHAUST is VERY difficult to replace. The barr replacements are murder to install. They also can cost up to $700 per engine. The other problem with these engines is that the heads seem to rot out.
The engine is NOT a GM based 327. It is an AMC block designed and casted by AMC. Originally used on the Nash in the mid-fifties. It was also used in many AMC products through the late sixties to early seventies. Do not be fooled my the 327 Cubic inch. They are not interchangable.

If you decide you need and engine specs or stats, I would be happy to copy the engine manuals and send them to you. I am also in Florida.

Just for the record, I removed those motors and installed a pair of 300hp mercruisers. MUCH EASIER to maintain.
Good luck!
rossjo
Ultimate User

AMCs - not Chevys

Post by rossjo »

I did see references to these as being Chevys as well as AMCs - so thank you for the clarification!

Hopefully - our new boater will be able to get them going.
1tm315

Post by 1tm315 »

Thanks for all the responses... I have decided to re-power because this engine seems to be very difficult to obtain parts at a resonable price. I was planning on going with a Chevy 350 but I don't know if my v-drive will mount up to it?? I think because the engine I currently have has the flywheel and starter in the front that I might have to buy a new v-drive also??

Any thoughts on a potential re-power for this boat?

Thanks!
boatman2100

Post by boatman2100 »

The transmission should bolt up file. I am using the originals on my new mercruisers. You will need to purchase an engine with a top mount starter. Inboard (not and I/O) bell housing. If your engine has a borg warner tranny. All will bolt up just perfect. Your current engine most likley is a flywheel forward design and a right handed engine. The newer engines will have the flywheel aft and will be left hand rotation. Much easier for parts and to replace the starter too. Make sure you double check engine and rotation of your propeller and make the proper transmission pump adjustments. Good luck!

1tm315

Post by 1tm315 »

Thanks! You described my engine perfectly... The flywheel and starter are in the front. If I re-power with a chevy 350 I will need to find a bell housing and flywheel to fit the engine and transmission correct? If the engine I have now rotates in the oposite direction as a standard 350, then won't the transmission and shaft turn the propeller in the wrong direction??