New Boater Needs help

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Paul
Active User

rotation

Post by Paul »

You can run a Chev 350 with a right hand rotation as opposed to the standard left hand rotation. My F-26 has a single right hand Chev that was originaly a left hand rotation engine. This involves removing the timing chain & sprockets and replacing them with a mating crank & cam gear set. The cam shaft must also be replaced with a cam shaft for a right hand rotating engine. The cam shaft, distriburor & oil pump will rorate in the original direction however the firing order will have to change.

Hope this helps
Paul
Cruise Control
boatman2100

Post by boatman2100 »

Thats where it gets a bit interesting & confusing. I can remember pulling my hair out on a twin engine installation. ... So here goes, your old engine rotates to the right. Indicated by the flywheel end (looking at the front of the engine as it is running). But, the engine is installed flywheel forward (or backwards to todays standards). So, the rear of the old engine (transmission end) is actually turning to the left. The new engine will be a left handed engine with the flywheel aft. Make sure you check the front pump on the transmission to reflect the rotation of the new motor from the flywheel side (looking at the flywheel as the engine would be running). If I am correct, you should have a borg warner 1:1 tranny. I think you will find that you will need to turn the pump to reflect the engine rotation. The flywheel from the new 350 will work perfect. No need to change out with your old one. It would not fit anyhow. The only thing that you will have to do is change out the prop. Then go have fun.

By the way, where are you in Florida? I am on the East Coast. It would be great to get some sort of get together next year of old Trojan owners here in Florida.
1tm315

Post by 1tm315 »

Thanks for all the info from all of you... I am in Jacksonville so if any of you who are in Florida is interested in cruising the intercoastal let me know. I plan on getting this thing in the water before it gets too cold, however if it takes me longer I guess I'll just have to suck it up. One way or another I plan on getting this sucker in the water.
rossjo
Ultimate User

In CHS

Post by rossjo »

I'm in Charleston, SC - 250 miles up the ICW (3 day trip inside, 2 days outside).

If you're up this way - we'll cruise.
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17
JuiceClark
Moderate User

I have an engine for sale

Post by JuiceClark »

Sorry 'bout the engine. But I have a 0 - hour 454 sitting extra from a repower. I bought one engine from a hurricane boat with only 100 hours. Then, I found a deal on two rebuilt 454 that were back-ups for a racing boat...never mounted.

I'll sell it to you for $2500. I only paid $6k for both...was a bargain. I have about 40 hours on the other one now and it's great.

Tony
Fort Myers, FL