Nav Light Question

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

k9th
Ultimate User

Nav Light Question

Post by k9th »

I am considering changing my navigation lights to LEDs instead of the standard incandescent bulbs and was wondering if any of you have done that? My reasons for considering the change is lower power consumption, longer life, cooler operating temperatures, and brighter light.

Are there any pros, cons, concerns, things to consider, hazards, etc. that I should take into account?
Tim

"SeaDog"
1979 36' Tri-Cabin
MTP
Moderate User

Post by MTP »

You should be able to get a direct replacement lamp for that existing fixture. Links have been posted on this site often
TIKI III
1985 F32
270 Crusaders
Wet and happy
http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak ... 9727_n.jpg
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

check here 1st please, Worst marine sells a reto kit.
Carver 3607 ACMY 454's Merc's
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

http://s852.beta.photobucket.com/user/t ... 8/library/
g36
Moderate User

Post by g36 »

i changed mine last year to leds. since my f32 uses 2 bulbs to light an all around white lite that adds up in amps. i looked at swapping to lower amp draw bulb but i found the leds, well a better choice. the bulbs i changed use a fraction of the power now.buy the correct base for the fixture and its that easy. heres where i purchased some leds before.
i believe this is the base i had in mine and what i used
BA9s Bulbs with High Power LEDs

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/ ... 2F1157.htm
1997 CARVER 405
"the BLACK PEARL"

past fleet
1978 F32 SEDAN CHRYSLER 318's

current fleet
1997 seadoo gts
1997 yamaha wave venture
1985 sunbird 18 ft runabout
1968 coronado sailboat 25 ft
sunfish
14' hobie cat
canoe
8ft portabote
rossjo
Ultimate User

Post by rossjo »

I changed my Red/Greens to LED and put them on the forward sides of the bridge. They're stainless units, so they'll never corrode like the original Trojan units. Looks MUCH better - and they always work!

I am finishing up my radar arch, and will move the "annoying F32/F36 while nav light thats right in front of your face when driving at night" to the top of the radar arch, where its glare won't blind me. LED of course.
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17
dollarbill

Steaming / Anchor light removal....

Post by dollarbill »

Anybody had any success getting rid of that huge contraption of a steaming/anchor light? Seems like there would be an easy replacement of the lights available out there....

btw.. I have replaced all of my nav lights with LED's... you can just change the bulbs out without changing existing hardware... they have side firing and forward throwing bulbs wrapped all in one.... pretty bright too.... replace with same color red/red green/green white/white... don't order all white.. bulbs are too bright and will not show true color. It states this on the web site but you could overlook it.
Obaby

LED !!

Post by Obaby »

Yeah, I replaced mine with LED's last month.. AMAZON sold them...
Note: Get the 2-mile version.. Huge difference...
The price was great, I even bought my EPIRB on Amazon.. Who knew, I thought it was for books !

Beats West Marine prices !
Trojan 11 Meter International (87)
New Twin MP 502's 8.2
Westerbeke 5KW
Oceanside Harbor San Diego
JuiceClark
Moderate User

Post by JuiceClark »

I put these expensive ones a few years ago. They're really nice. The stainless hasn't shown any signs of being cheap metal.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Stainless-Steel-Dec ... 563c2dba7a

Y'all know I don't pay full retail for anything...but just can't remember where I got a deal on them. It was too long ago.