shaft alignment question

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

BobCT
Active User

shaft alignment question

Post by BobCT »

I'm pretty sure I'm going in this coming weekend and one thing has been bugging me.

When I hauled the boat, the port side shaft was almost touching the bottom/right corner of the shaft log. It wasn't actually touching, no evidence that it was and no vibration or noise last year. The cutlass bearings are both tight with no play.

Over the winter, I replaced the stuffing box and hose on each side. With the coupler disconnected, I can get the shaft centered by loosening the clamps on the stuffing box hose and shifting it to the left about about a 1/4". The end of the hose doesn't sit exactly flush with face of the shaft log on one side now (on the inside) by the 1/4" or so.

I called Buck Algonquin and they said this was a good idea and would save time in "wearing" in the new stuffing box. That part is good and once it goes in I can do my final alignment.

The downside is now there's a slight gap on one side of the cutlass bearing because I've shifted the shaft over. At some point, I assume it'll wear into the other side and eventually cause a vibration. It really wants to be more to the right because I'm sure it's been that way for years.

My question is, how long would that take?

I know I can get the engine aligned doing it this way but probably need to replace the cutlass bearing so it's more in-line. Again, no play now but a slight gap that wasn't there before. I could probably put it back the way it was but I just don't like the idea of the shaft being so close to the log, not much margin for error if it shifted out of alignment.

Do you guys think I can get a season out of the cutlass bearing and deal with it next year? I just don't know how fast they wear. I'm trying to make this decision now while I can still see under the boat.

thanks,
Bob
Jerry
Moderate User

Post by Jerry »

From what I have experienced in the past, I would say that what you see while the boat is on the hard is not necessarily what you are going to see when the boat is in the water and the hull has relaxed.
Even when you support a boat correctly directly under the bulkheads you will have hull flex. Unless you know what it looked like before you pulled the boat out I would wait and recheck it after the boat has been put back in and has settled.
You may end up having to realign your strut. How big is the gap? Cutlass bearings are tough and can take quite a bit of abuse.
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

I agree with Jerry. Final alignment should always be done after the vessel has been splashed but do what you need to do on land first to get you in the ball park. I like to let them settle in the water for at least 24 hours. If the shaft is not aligned in the bearing, longevity will depend on use and how you run your vessel.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
BobCT
Active User

final alignment

Post by BobCT »

yes, I'm planning on doing a final alignment once she's in. I'm trying to decide "where" the shaft should be for my rough alignment while I can still see the shaft log on the hard.

I'm thinking I might leave it centered and wear into its new position on the bearing. At least I don't have to worry about it being so close to the shaft log doing it this way.

With some luck, I can make it through the season and then replace the cutlass bearing in the fall.

Bob