leaky valve cover

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

jwhalen

leaky valve cover

Post by jwhalen »

I have a 1976 Chrysler 318 reverse rotation rebuilt with only 281 hours. I replaced the valve cover gaskets becuase the boat sat for a while and the others dried out. I can't seem to get the starboard cover to stop leaking in the back. It is only a few drops around the bolt head and maybe a drop or two on the block itself. Should I just expect that or are there any secrets outside of Indian Head.

Thanks as always,

John
John
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Could the cover be warped from overtightening? Happens sometimes.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

old S.B. Chevy's use to do the same thing maybe you could try the same fix we did to them. Take the cover off and turn it upside down and rest the flanges on two 2x4's and tap on the inside edge of the flange to bend it back square. With a mallet not a metal hammer or look for a set of bolt on spreaders that go on the outside they spread the torque out more from the bolts to push on the gasket more.
Carver 3607 ACMY 454's Merc's
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

http://s852.beta.photobucket.com/user/t ... 8/library/
Danny Bailey
Moderate User

Post by Danny Bailey »

Good advice above. You might also want to try the silicone rubber gaskets instead of the cork based ones. They seal a lot better.
1980 F-36 with 6BTA 250 Cummins enjoying the Sounds and coastal waters of North Carolina
jwhalen

Post by jwhalen »

Thanks for the advice. I will give it a shot
John
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

Danny Bailey wrote:Good advice above. You might also want to try the silicone rubber gaskets instead of the cork based ones. They seal a lot better.
Agree 100%.. due to the tilt of boat engines these are a must in my opinion. Unlike cars there tends to be a pool of oil in contact with the aft end of those seals.... of course car drivers in San Francisco may see the same thing :!:
Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL