replacing fiberglass fresh water tank

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

CaptMike

replacing fiberglass fresh water tank

Post by CaptMike »

Hey there all,

I have a 1991 10.8 meter express with a huge fiberglass tank in the middle of the hull in the cabin. There is a leak somewhere in the fresh water system that fills the bilge where the shower pump is and the fittings for water pump etc. I know it is the fresh water system as I died the fresh water and the bilge filled with dyed water. Now, I ruled out the shower, head, faucets, sink etc as everything around there is dry. I shop vac the bilge dry and don't see any drips coming from the fittings that are obvious... In fact, it seems that there is a leak origination from under the tank. There seems to be layers of fiberglass where the tank rests and water is penetrating a layer and then filling the access hatch... All dyed green though when i tested so I am confident there isn't a serious thru hull leak or something of that nature...

Anybody have this problem... I ready to cut out the tank myself and replace it with a plastic tank as I think I have ruled out all other possibilities of leaks with the dye and that fact that other fittings and appliances etc are dry that I can see.
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Wow, cutting it out seems kind of extreme. Fibreglass is very repairable. can a large access hole be cut in the top in hopes of finding the problem and fixing it from the inside?
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

have you tried to see if the leak changes when the fresh water system is pressureized vs. not?

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
CaptMike

Post by CaptMike »

when the water pump is on the tank seems to drain faster... The pressure switch on the water pump is broken too... Also, the forward bilge fills first then moves to the mid bilge because they are connected though a drain hole in the bulkhead. I can't find any links in the tank fittings or any leaks from the shower, kitchen faucets or head sink lines... All of those areas are dry.
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

CaptMike wrote:when the water pump is on the tank seems to drain faster.
That one thing alone would move my attention away from the tank. I would suggest you have a downstream fitting or cracked hose downstream of the pump. In my opinion a leak from the fibreglass tank is very unlikely.
Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL
CaptMike

Post by CaptMike »

I would tend to agree with you, but I just can't find the darn leak. All of the access panels I pop open are dry... Not sure how I can get to the leak if there is one I can't see. I suppose I will keep looking.
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

Not familiar with your boat but it sounds like you have hidden runs of the pipe.... luckily I can see all mine on the F32 though some spots require me to crawl in some small spaces and look behind wall structures.
How cost effective ($$ and mental stress) would it be to run new hose for those points you can't get to and then splice it in to replace suspect lengths?
Michael
Done Dreamin'
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

CaptMike wrote:when the water pump is on the tank seems to drain faster... The pressure switch on the water pump is broken too... Also, the forward bilge fills first then moves to the mid bilge because they are connected though a drain hole in the bulkhead. I can't find any links in the tank fittings or any leaks from the shower, kitchen faucets or head sink lines... All of those areas are dry.
You could temporarily block those bulkhead holes one at a time working away from the pump and use the dye test to try and see what area it is coming from.
To confirm the tank is not a culprit why not take the inlet line to the pump and feed it dye from a bucket? Doing that and the above should help locate the area of failure.
Michael
Done Dreamin'
vabeach1234
Moderate User

Post by vabeach1234 »

My F26 water tank in the V-Berth floor leaked from the top everytime I filled it or was in rough seas. After removing the wood top and seeing how the whole system worked (which I didn't like) I decided to just put in a Plastimo flexiable water tank (bag) in the original water tank/tub, plumb it and put the water tank cap/top back on. I lost some capacity but it hasn't leaked since and it was a pretty simple fix. The plastimo tanks aren't cheap but again it was pretty simple.

http://www.plastimousa.com/Water%20Tanks.pdf
Ken
1972 Trojan F26 Express
1985 Dell Quay Dory 13
Hampton, VA
http://s853.photobucket.com/user/vabeac ... ojan%20F26
vabeach1234
Moderate User

Post by vabeach1234 »

Ken
1972 Trojan F26 Express
1985 Dell Quay Dory 13
Hampton, VA
http://s853.photobucket.com/user/vabeac ... ojan%20F26
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

ready123 wrote:
CaptMike wrote:when the water pump is on the tank seems to drain faster... The pressure switch on the water pump is broken too... Also, the forward bilge fills first then moves to the mid bilge because they are connected though a drain hole in the bulkhead. I can't find any links in the tank fittings or any leaks from the shower, kitchen faucets or head sink lines... All of those areas are dry.
You could temporarily block those bulkhead holes one at a time working away from the pump and use the dye test to try and see what area it is coming from.
To confirm the tank is not a culprit why not take the inlet line to the pump and feed it dye from a bucket? Doing that and the above should help locate the area of failure.
Mike is right.

Drain the tank first, then disconnect the line that goes to the supply pump and pu tit in a bucket with some - yellow? O.K., bad idea, BLUE? dye

leave the pump on pressurized (after you fix the sensor) and look for blue.

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
CaptMike

Water leak figured out, but have shaft packing leak too

Post by CaptMike »

Fixed the fresh water leaks... Thanks for the help.

In my quest for leaks and weeps, I have found that both shaft packing areas are leaking... One has a good steady drip going that was contributing to the problem. Nothing in danger of sinking unless I had now power to the bilge pumps for a couple of weeks, but it needs to be taken care of.

Can anybody tell me if my 1991 10.8 with 454 crusader, v drives, are supposed to be "dripless". Can't tell. Also, have some leaks/wheeps around rudder housing, stern zinc bolts, still on the hunt for more. I feel like the o rings may be bad on the shafts... Can't tell.