Electrolysis...and the poor start to a boating season.

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Electrolysis...and the poor start to a boating season.

Post by Stripermann2 »

My friend traded his 1980 F30 for a smaller Wellcraft express last fall. (wrong move but another story.. :roll: )

The boat was in great shape when it was hauled for the season while the new owner installed some electronics and cleaned her up well. He since sold it this spring to another...After purchase, the boat was splashed and moved up the creek to another marina.
In the span of 45 days, the struts, rudders and props were destroyed! The boat began taking on water after a short cruise with the owner and made it back to our marina where dock workers made the emergency pull in the sling. Not sure what caused this electrolysis...improper electronics install and possible ground omitting or another boat at the marina with a serious electrical issue or perhaps the marina's dock wiring itself. Just remember, it doesn't take long for this gremlin to rear it's ugly head!

Here we have the starboard strut completely eroded from the hull and it's mount and hanging down along with unsupported shaft.

Here is the port strut, oh wait...there is no more strut!

Here the starboard strut is almost eaten away.

In this pic, this is what is left of the port rudder. Just a nib...the starboard rudder is no longer in existing- completely gone. Notice there is no longer a zinc on the rudder, it use to be there.
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
Rodman
Moderate User

Post by Rodman »

Holly ***, that's been in the water a little while too long.
Trojan
** F25 Hardtop - Express - 1974 - 25 ft
** F26 Hardtop - Express - 1971 - 26 ft
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

Rodman wrote:Holly ***, that's been in the water a little while too long.
The rudders and struts were fine...this happened in just a little over a month's time.
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders

-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
Rodman
Moderate User

Post by Rodman »

Stripermann2 wrote:
Rodman wrote:Holly ***, that's been in the water a little while too long.
The rudders and struts were fine...this happened in just a little over a month's time.

wow thats crazy.
Trojan
** F25 Hardtop - Express - 1974 - 25 ft
** F26 Hardtop - Express - 1971 - 26 ft
rossjo
Ultimate User

Post by rossjo »

Better find the cause before putting it back in.

Beacon has the struts in stock - they're around $500/each.

It seemingly ate the bronze strut and rudder because they were softer than the Nibral prop and stainless shaft - but grounding may have had an effect as well - since the prop shows NO signs of erosion.

Someone needs to check the boat and see what is/isn't grounded, as well as what current is leaking on the boat or at the dock. This could be dangerous (electrocution) if theres a major AC leak at the dock.
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

rossjo wrote:
Someone needs to check the boat and see what is/isn't grounded, as well as what current is leaking on the boat or at the dock. This could be dangerous (electrocution) if theres a major AC leak at the dock.

Yep!
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders

alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

that's one good reason to be at a good and well kept marina. I'd ball up like a baby if I seen that stuff hanging from my boat. :cry:
Carver 3607 ACMY 454's Merc's
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

http://s852.beta.photobucket.com/user/t ... 8/library/
foofer b
Ultimate User

Post by foofer b »

It seemingly ate the bronze strut and rudder because they were softer than the Nibral prop and stainless shaft - but grounding may have had an effect as well - since the prop shows NO signs of erosion.

Look again, the prop is totaled too. It's riddled with holes like worms have eaten o it.
MY CURRENT FLEET
2003 KEY WEST 2020 WA
1978 14' ASHCRAFT SKIFF
foofer b
Ultimate User

Post by foofer b »

They are just lucky it did not sink, or totally destroy the bottom what with those shafts hanging.
MY CURRENT FLEET
2003 KEY WEST 2020 WA
1978 14' ASHCRAFT SKIFF
rossjo
Ultimate User

Post by rossjo »

Right - The nickel in the Nibral prop saved it a bit compared to the bronze strut - and the stainless shaft would be last to go.

Still amazing how much current must have been going through them to go that bad in such a short time.
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

Jamie, Don't drop this we all want to know why this happened.. :shock:
Carver 3607 ACMY 454's Merc's
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

http://s852.beta.photobucket.com/user/t ... 8/library/
k9th
Ultimate User

Post by k9th »

Wow what a mess that is. It would seem that if it happened to this guy it would happen to others in the marina also if it was a marina problem. That is some serious current going through that equipment.

The engineer in me says that the overall current draw should be able to be calculated based on the materials and the rate of deterioration due to electrolysis. That might give someone a clue of where to begin to look.
Tim

"SeaDog"
1979 36' Tri-Cabin
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

alexander38 wrote:Jamie, Don't drop this we all want to know why this happened.. :shock:
I won't. When I find out more, I'll report.

Sad thing is that I heard the new owner has very little money and is looking to get the cash up to repair her.

It can get expensive to be broke...I can sometimes relate! :wink:
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders

bobg

Post by bobg »

I would tend to suspect a grounding problem on the boat itself rather than the marina. But if there is a marina problem it should be detectable. Put a voltmeter from the water to a solid ground on the dock such as the breaker panel.

A common cause of death in marinas is swimmers around boats with grounding problems introducing high voltages into the water from the AC system.
Danny Bailey
Moderate User

Post by Danny Bailey »

I agree. There is a ground corroded off somewhere on that boat that is causing all the return current to travel through water via the underwater hardware. I would not be surprised to find a 12v positive wire attached to the bonding system somewhere.
1980 F-36 with 6BTA 250 Cummins enjoying the Sounds and coastal waters of North Carolina