Tricabin Cockpit U-Shaped Seating Reno

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

rickalan35
Moderate User

Tricabin Cockpit U-Shaped Seating Reno

Post by rickalan35 »

I wanted a U-Shaped seating area in the cockpit.

Here's how I built mine and hopefully it will provide an alternative idea for those wishing to do something similar.

First, I built two rectangular seat bases out of 2"X2"'s and mahogany plywood.

One rectangular base was for the starboard side. The other base was for the port side and as such, was blended into to existing "factory" rear seat base.

The I built seat bottoms out of three quarter inch plywood and took them to an automobile upholsterer and asked him to build four inch cushions onto these plywood seat bottoms.

The seat backs are of plywood and the foam is shaped in a slight wedge.

Thanks, Rick

P.S. I just realized that I don't have to post these photos individually because once you click on any of the photos you are taken to the actual album in Photobucket where you can view all eleven photos of the cockpit.

ImageImageImage[/URL[URL=http://s869.photobucket.com/albums/ab25 ... C02201.jpg]Image

Trojan 1994 370 Express, 502 Bluewaters
k9th
Ultimate User

Post by k9th »

Good looking job on the seats and a great idea.
Tim

"SeaDog"
1979 36' Tri-Cabin
aweimer
Moderate User

Post by aweimer »

I'm glad i went back through old posts to see this. WOW very nice. I think i'm going to do the same, great idea!!
Aaron
Lake Erie, OH
http://s1099.photobucket.com/albums/g39 ... 20It%20Up/
Longshanks

Re: Tricabin Cockpit U-Shaped Seating Reno

Post by Longshanks »

Looks awesome.... I noticed you are very close to me, my 76 F36 Tri-cabin is on the big rideau as well. I bought over a year ago and right now im replacing back wall on the berth due to rot.
... Perry, Ottawa
Perry
1976 F36
Ottawa
Barrie
Moderate User

Post by Barrie »

That's super great, looks like it was factory.

I'm just going the pontoon boat lazy option and screwing down a set... :roll:
Barrie
Aylmer Ontario, Canada
36' Tri-Fly "The Obvious"
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

Barrie, after the hatch replacement you did with hydraulic assist, I don't think you need to make any excuses for your boat!
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
Barrie
Moderate User

Post by Barrie »

WayWeGo wrote:Barrie, after the hatch replacement you did with hydraulic assist, I don't think you need to make any excuses for your boat!
LOL thanks!
I'm putting the damn thing in the water this year, there will be no short cuts but maybe a few premade parts to save time :lol:

Still a great job on this bench, it looks like it just grew there, the white cushions are perfect for it
Barrie
Aylmer Ontario, Canada
36' Tri-Fly "The Obvious"
Bob Giaier
Sporadic User

Post by Bob Giaier »

Thank you for reposting this. It looks beautiful. I have been using a few crapy deck chairs for years and have been putting up with passenger complaints about the terrible support of my back rest cushions on the rear seats.

This will help me resolve the back cushions. I hope my wife doesn't see your pics, otherwise I've got more work to do than back seat cushions.

Seriously, great job
rickalan35
Moderate User

Post by rickalan35 »

Thanks, Bob. That's a nice compliment. I wasn't the one who reposted this so don't quite know how it popped back up.

I sold the tricabin two years ago to the first person who came to look at her, so that was a nice compliment too. At the time I was in that curious position of owning the old boat after already having paid for the new one :)

But for sixteen years, that tricabin gave us many great memories and handled herself well in all kinds of conditions and locales.

I bought yet another Trojan so feel like I'm still part of the club. Good luck with any cockpit seating modifications you decide to go forward with and feel fee to contact me if you think I might have a photo or advice that might prove helpful. Take care - Rick
Trojan 1994 370 Express, 502 Bluewaters