killing impellers

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

savanahrae

killing impellers

Post by savanahrae »

I have a Kohler 5E gen set in my Trojan 10 Meter. I have replaced the impeller in the raw water pump twice in the last month and don't know why they are failing. I have attached a picture to show what it looks like when it stops working. When i first replace the impeller it works fine then after several hours it stops pumping water and when I remove the cover plate there is a vane bent in the opposite direction of the others. It always seems to be in the same spot in the pump that the vane is bent backward. I have an idea what is causing it to always flap in the wrong direction at the same point but welcome feedback.

Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

Can't tell from the pic but Kohler had issues with the housing on some of their models. Is yours plastic? A new housing or pump assembly is bronze I think...
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

Housing wore out ? Replaced one on port merc 454 did the same thing.
Carver 3607 ACMY 454's Merc's
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

http://s852.beta.photobucket.com/user/t ... 8/library/
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

That still should pump OK ,not sucking jelly fish into the pick up are you ? Happen to me several times in the last week , also had to replace intake hoses that were sucking air
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
k9th
Ultimate User

Post by k9th »

I don't believe that I have ever seen an impeller pump housing with an offset like that. The ones I am familiar with are circular with the impeller shaft centered in the housing. I certainly haven't seen them all but am wondering what purpose that would serve except wearing the impeller out quickly.

I work as Chief Engineer of a pump company and while we don't currently make impeller pumps, our competitors do and we have their entire product offering in our engineering lab for evaluation and none of them have an offset housing.
Tim

"SeaDog"
1979 36' Tri-Cabin
wowzer52
Active User

Post by wowzer52 »

That's strange, all the raw water pumps I've seen are like the one pictured.
1975 F-32 "SIMPLY BLESSED"
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

When the blades pass the offset, they straighten out, increasing the volume between the blades. The process of increasing the volume between two blades creates a vacuum/suction.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
wowzer52
Active User

Post by wowzer52 »

Here is mine.
1975 F-32 "SIMPLY BLESSED"
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

As far as I know, all soft impellor pumps work on the same principal of bending the blades then opening them up to create negative pressure.
g36
Moderate User

Post by g36 »

might look into trying a globe impeller. supposed to actually run dry for 15 minutes without damage

http://www.globecomposite.com/pages/products_impeller
Last edited by g36 on Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1997 CARVER 405
"the BLACK PEARL"

past fleet
1978 F32 SEDAN CHRYSLER 318's

current fleet
1997 seadoo gts
1997 yamaha wave venture
1985 sunbird 18 ft runabout
1968 coronado sailboat 25 ft
sunfish
14' hobie cat
canoe
8ft portabote
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

If the pump body is plastic and above the water line, I suspect running dry for even 5 minutes will generate enough heat to ruin the body anyway. The trick is not to let them run dry. On a typical Merc Bravo application, the pump is below the water line and in a failure (and normal wear) scores the stainless steel plate even though it's submerged in water.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

k9th wrote:I don't believe that I have ever seen an impeller pump housing with an offset like that. The ones I am familiar with are circular with the impeller shaft centered in the housing. I certainly haven't seen them all but am wondering what purpose that would serve except wearing the impeller out quickly.

I work as Chief Engineer of a pump company and while we don't currently make impeller pumps, our competitors do and we have their entire product offering in our engineering lab for evaluation and none of them have an offset housing.
On a impler type pump ,If the housing is circular and the saft is centered then it wont pump very well if at all , there needs to be a offset or partly non-circular shape . some pumps have a insert ( cam)to cause a flat spot in the housing make it not completely circular
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Danny Bailey
Moderate User

Post by Danny Bailey »

There is nothing in your picture that would keep the pump from working. Most engines roll backward a little when they stop and this will cause what you see in the picture but it is not a problem. Look somewhere else to find why your pump stops pumping.
1980 F-36 with 6BTA 250 Cummins enjoying the Sounds and coastal waters of North Carolina
savanahrae

killing impellers

Post by savanahrae »

Thanks for all the replies. My initial thought was in line with those who suggest a worn out housing. I think the space just past the offset (cam) is worn and when the bent vane is supposed to flex and cause a suction it is losing the vacuum and thereby not drawing water into the pump body. But i am going to check hoses and thru hull before spending the money on a new pump.