1991 Trojan 10.8 Meter Express

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

BobCT
Active User

Post by BobCT »

Andy,

Good stuff, keep it coming! I have a mid cabin which does have the wood/fiberglass stringers. I think one simple area of neglect over the years has been the short fiberglass tubes that were installed through the stringer limber holes.

They were obviously caulked at the factory but over the years the caulk has pulled away and left a void. The two right below the intake strainers are the most vulnerable since there's always some rain water in the bilge from the intake and bilge blower vents. That's the low point when the boat is in the water.

I removed mine, cleaned up the area and reinstalled the tubes. I might remove them again in a few weeks when the boat comes out, let it sit all winter and then epoxy underneath in the spring. It's probably overkill but I want the boat to last another 25 years.

The other area of concern has been the joint connections which you mentioned. I didn't know that was gelcoat/fiberglass coating though so maybe this isn't an issue if the area is still waterproof.

There are some 9m boats around still, I've seen them on ebay from time to time. I'm not crazy about I/O's myself but a lot of boat for the money.

Bob
1988 10m mid cabin
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Do you know John Leed ?
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
todd brinkerhoff
Moderate User

Post by todd brinkerhoff »

Hey Andy,

It's great to have info from someone who was there. I am trying to gather as much info on the 10.8 M express, as there is almost no info available. Can you explain some of the changes and engineering differences? Any info you have would be helpful. Thanks, Todd.
1991 Trojan International 10.8 Meter Express hull# 003 - 454 Crusaders
1961 Century Raven 22 - Gray Marine 327

http://s1086.photobucket.com/home/Todd_ ... hoff/index