Manifolds and risers

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

fourreins
Moderate User

Manifolds and risers

Post by fourreins »

I bought a 10.8 international about three years ago and am just curious what you all would do. The boat has FWC 454 Crusaders. I also know that the boat was always used in Freshwater. The boat runs fine with no overheating issues. I am thinking the Riser and manifolds are original equipment. Also, boat has about 350 original hours. Ihave been told that the manifolds should last the life of the engines with it being FWC??? Not sure what to do about the risers either. DOn't really have any leaking at the gaskets. Should I wait for some issues before I maybe replace the risers? What are your thoughts on the riser and the manifolds? Would I see some signs that it is time to replace?
Danny Bailey
Moderate User

Post by Danny Bailey »

The big factor is whether the manifolds and risers are freshwater or seawater cooled.
1980 F-36 with 6BTA 250 Cummins enjoying the Sounds and coastal waters of North Carolina
randyp
Active User

Post by randyp »

For what this is worth, my F26 has been RWC in fresh water since new in 1977. Same risers, same manifolds, and no problems. Original engine, etc too. Over 1000 hours on the engine, single Chrysler Marine 318.
Randy P
1977 F-26 HT
"Blue Heron"
fourreins
Moderate User

Post by fourreins »

The manifolds are FWC....
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

The manifolds should last a long tine being FWC ( coolant running thru them ) risers last about 5 years in salt your in fresh water so at least twice that . yo could pull and clean the risers and inspect them to be safe.

On the manifolds keep clean coolant in them and keep them painted thats all you can do .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
rossjo
Ultimate User

Post by rossjo »

You can look for old (no longer made) stainless risers and never worry again.
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17
foofer b
Ultimate User

Post by foofer b »

Not to hijack the post, but what if I have RWC engine, but after each use I always flush with fresh water while running it 15 minutes. It was rebuilt with new manifolds and risers in '06. Should I change them out this year?
MY CURRENT FLEET
2003 KEY WEST 2020 WA
1978 14' ASHCRAFT SKIFF
BobCT
Active User

for what it's worth

Post by BobCT »

I have an '88 FWC 454's too (800 hours). I got a great deal on new manifolds so I changed those along with the risers and elbows when I got the boat last year.

I'm pretty sure I threw away four good manifolds :(

They looked like new inside so it was probably a waste. I would keep those and replace the risers and elbows. This is the type of a thing you should do BEFORE you have a problem. Everything is good until the minute it fails :)

If you try and squeeze the last hour out of them the results can be catastrophic.

Bob
1988 10m mid cabin
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

foofer b wrote:Not to hijack the post, but what if I have RWC engine, but after each use I always flush with fresh water while running it 15 minutes. It was rebuilt with new manifolds and risers in '06. Should I change them out this year?
your adding years of life to them , i would inspect them an go from there
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
fourreins
Moderate User

Post by fourreins »

I was reading somearticles on the web and it looks like the freshwater cooled 454 Crusader engine may also include the riser in the closed system??? Anyone know????
foofer b
Ultimate User

Post by foofer b »

Thanks Bob, that is what I would have thought.
Prowler, how do I inspect them?
MY CURRENT FLEET
2003 KEY WEST 2020 WA
1978 14' ASHCRAFT SKIFF
Danny Bailey
Moderate User

Post by Danny Bailey »

I had installed a freshwater flush system on my 440's before I repowered. I knew I would only run them a year or two but it is too easy to install a flusher to not do it
1980 F-36 with 6BTA 250 Cummins enjoying the Sounds and coastal waters of North Carolina
rbcool
Active User

Post by rbcool »

Has anybody tried the Neutra-Salt system??
When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat.
Ronald Reagan
1987 F36 Tri-Cabin
Twin 270 Crusaders
"Special K"
Upper Bay, Chesapeake Bay

http://www.photobucket.com/albums/ff424/rbcool/
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

fourreins wrote:I was reading somearticles on the web and it looks like the freshwater cooled 454 Crusader engine may also include the riser in the closed system??? Anyone know????

Just the manafold not the riser ,
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
kevinz

Post by kevinz »

We have a few customers with the Neutra-Salt system.. Does it work? who knows. I do know the stuff is high dollar per gallon. the solonoids get clogged, and if any part of the system gets a leak, it will corrode anything it touches.