10 meter repower

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

chauzer
Moderate User

Post by chauzer »

poor builds have nothing to do with cooling issues. with big horsepower comes big heat. ever see the heat exchangers on a big offshore sportfishing boat? those diesels are stock, putting out 16 to 2400 horse apiece!
life is tough! it's even tougher if your stupid.
~john wayne~
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

Not going to try to talk you out doin your deal, but setting right next to me in my marina is a C.C. Catalina 38 with 502's made up with all the go fast up-grade this and that. It left the pier two times this season and 3 last and was back with in an hr every time with an engine down from heat or gas trouble. And yes been there done that with cars 71 Chevelle with a 383 small block that got hot setting more than 10 mins. Well that's my 2 cents. Have fun doing it and please keep us up to date.
Carver 3607 ACMY 454's Merc's
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

http://s852.beta.photobucket.com/user/t ... 8/library/
Allen Sr
Active User

Post by Allen Sr »

Guess he is going to 'LIVE & LEARN'? :roll: :roll: :roll:
Growing old is inevitable,but growing up is optional
1984 F36 w/350 Crusaders 'Reel Class'
2011 Trojan Rendevous
Solomons Get Together 2011
Ocean City 2012,2013,2015
fastestonehere

Post by fastestonehere »

prowlersfish wrote:A race car that runs the 1/4 mile has nothing to do with a boat engine the runs under high load for hours . Air flow and shroud's have nothing to do with cooling a boat engine . the size of the heat exchanger is the key ( and a water pump to match . yours is made for a stock engine . won't cut it on a built engine.

I seen this time and time again , you'll spend more time fixing it then using it . The people I have seen go this road end up going back to stock or just let it sit . Most the folks have done well doing cars but do not understand boats are a different ball game ..

BTW Those big carburetors are marine right ?

yes marine carbs! i am aware of the custom ground cam on a reverse rotation motor. direct drive gear, rev. dist.gear. bla. bla. bla.. this is the easy stuff. heat exchangers and water pump will be delt with as everything else along with this build.

the reference to my drag car was only for why my user name is what it is.. nothing more.

also The reverse rotation motor will need a custom camshaft
"She's Wide in the rear"
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

If the cam is direct drive ( no chain )( 2 gear ) you don't use a rev. dist.gear.bla. bla. bla :?
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
S.A.M.
Moderate User

Post by S.A.M. »

Hey guys,

I think it's time to agree to disagree and move on.
Sherman
'90 10m Midcabin
Paul
Active User

Post by Paul »

I don't know how the extra power will affect a 10M Trojan but I found it to be both good and bad on my F- Series hull. The additional torque is is great when in rough water or getting a heavy load up on plane. The extra top end however does not agree with the modified V hull and I find that it gets a little squirrelly to handle.
Paul
"Cruise Control" 1978 F-26HT
"No Control" 2012 9' Grand RIB
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

Cars and trucks are not running up a steep hill at 3500 RPM CONSTANTLY.

The rules you are familiar with on the strip and at the track simply do not apply in a marine engine, drive line and propulsion system.

The engine does not push the boat, the propellers do.

In addition to all that, you can ONLY use a marine carburetor and ignition system if you do not want to go BOOM.

Don't you think it would be a good idea to completely research this before you start with the stroke and bore ?

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
chauzer
Moderate User

Post by chauzer »

S.A.M. wrote:Hey guys,

i thought we were taking a page from THT web site where EVERYTHING get beat to death!! :roll:
life is tough! it's even tougher if your stupid.
~john wayne~
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Just try to save someone from a $$$$$$ mistake , I will keep doing so

You don't have to read it . :wink:
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

Any 10M owners know if the hull and stringer structure was designed to handle the 600HP a side he is talking about here? Engine reliability could be one victim of aiming too high, but I would also wonder about fundamental structural integrity. The boat was designed with a specific purpose, speed, and power range in mind.
fastestonehere

Post by fastestonehere »

Paul wrote:I don't know how the extra power will affect a 10M Trojan but I found it to be both good and bad on my F- Series hull. The additional torque is is great when in rough water or getting a heavy load up on plane. The extra top end however does not agree with the modified V hull and I find that it gets a little squirrelly to handle.
Thank you for the help. Guys i am not trying to upset or argue with any body i just thought i would test the waters and see your sides.

the Carb , ignition system incl. dist, alt. starter , and fuel pump dump are all MARINE grade also flame aresters and the check valve in fuel tank pickup.

so it is safe to say no one here would stroke these out and just rebuild them back O.E.

Thanks just looking for some insight. i will keep you posted on the progress if interested.
"She's Wide in the rear"
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

You would probably do far better by going to a pair of 370 - 400 hp lightweight diesels.

If you are genuinely serious about your goals, this is the only realistic method of getting there.

The short lifespan, subsequent problems and termination of production for the 502 is proof positive of the limitations for this basic design.

The 454 Crusader can be reasonably bullet proof however increasing compression in a marine duty application creates stresses that may ultamately result in a cascade of problems.

Take a look at the Yanmar LY series. I looked at them and they would meet the height constraint of my 1983 10 meter express cruiser.

I believe they go from 370 to 440 or so horse. The additional torque will provide increased lift and make that boat run out as it should.

Good luck with your research.

A $25 membership at BoatDiesel.com would enable you to get input on your bore/stroke concept from marine engine professionals with far greater experience than some of us here on this forum.

RWS

RWS
Last edited by RWS on Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Althou I would stay stock beefing it up a little could work out . Just not 500-600 hp , IMO its the wrong boat , It was not made to be a go fast. Its not a Donzi , But it is a great cruising boat
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
S.A.M.
Moderate User

Post by S.A.M. »

prowlersfish wrote:

Just try to save someone from a $$$$$$ mistake , I will keep doing so

You don't have to read it . :wink:

Now that I've been scolded, I'll go to my room. :oops:
Sherman
'90 10m Midcabin