Tell Us About Your Favorite Cruising Grounds

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

foofer b
Ultimate User

Tell Us About Your Favorite Cruising Grounds

Post by foofer b »

Tell us about your favorite cruising grounds and why you like it so much. Pictures would be great if you have some.

One of my favorites is Panama City, Florida. It has clean clear gulf water, white sandy beachs, a large uninhabited barrier island for swimming, camping, picnicking and overnight anchoring. All right across from one of the nicest state parks, St. Andrews SP. The fishing is great near and offshore and the diving is fantastic, with tons of reefs, wrecks and man made structures.

MY CURRENT FLEET
2003 KEY WEST 2020 WA
1978 14' ASHCRAFT SKIFF
rossjo
Ultimate User

Post by rossjo »

Foofer - just got back from 5 days in Panama City Beach with my wife, sister her 3 kids and our dog. Stayed at the Sandpiper Beacon ... 6 heated pools, hot tubs, mini golf, go-karts, etc. Every time I'm down on the gulf side I'm ready to move - the water is so pretty! Like the Bamahas.

We cruise our boat a lot up & down the ICW. From St. Augustine to Myrtle Beach. Take the 26 or 18 up to Beaufort,NC some as well. I take the 18 around to boats shows, but seldom have time to "cruise" much on those trips.
Last edited by rossjo on Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

I too, loved PCB as that's where I got my F32. We'd fly down every other month, take her out into the gulf fishing and cruising. Love having dolphins swim along side. Very beautiful beaches.

On the back road by the beach was a little place called the Quarter Deck. We'd go in there, they shuck fresh oysters for us at the bar as we'd drink cold beer for hours...our tab would be something like 20.00...good times. :D

Then I brought the boat north... :(
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
Paul
Active User

Post by Paul »

Hey Foofer,

Cant' compare to the blue water in your photograph but this water is fresh, spring fed and clean. This is Crystal Bay located in Amherstburg Ontario at the mouth of the Detroit River leading into Lake Erie. We spend many weekends here on the hook thru the summers. It's only a 40 minute boat ride for us to get there but once we drop the hook, it feels like we could be 1000 miles away from home. This photo is a typical Saturday morning with the remaining flotillas from the night before.

:)
Paul
"Cruise Control" 1978 F-26HT
"No Control" 2012 9' Grand RIB
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Foofer, have things pretty much settled since the spill, has it left any visible effects or is it still an on-going process of clean up? We're thinking of vacationing in the area next year.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
k9th
Ultimate User

Post by k9th »

Our favorite cruising grounds is the North Channel and Georgian Bay in Ontario. We try to go there every summer since it is so beautiful and pristine.

First two are the Benjamin Islands - great place to drop the hook. That is red quartz rock.

Blueberry Island

Marianne Cove

Two of Little Tub Harbor in Tobermory

Tim

"SeaDog"
1979 36' Tri-Cabin
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

I agree about the Benjamins
Some evenings can be iffy though, we are just north of Byng Inlet anchored for the night, waiting out a passing storm.
Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL
Paul
Active User

Post by Paul »

Georgian Bay is fantastic cruising. When we had a trailer boat, we brought it up to Honey Harbour three years in a row and would spend a week cruising thru the islands from there. I'm hoping to do the North Chanel some day soon with the boat that I have now. :wink:
Paul
foofer b
Ultimate User

Post by foofer b »

Paul, we used to raft up every weekend for six months a yaer in Destin Florida when I was coming up.

Ready/K9th, That is some kinda pretty anchorages.
MY CURRENT FLEET
2003 KEY WEST 2020 WA
1978 14' ASHCRAFT SKIFF
kevinz

Post by kevinz »

Panama citybeach, Destin, and we live in Pensacola. We make the cruise to Destin on a regular basis. Now that the oil spill is history, we will make the cruise to Biloxi, MS. and try some cards. As for Pensacola, Ft. Mcrae is the spot!!. Great anchorage/swimming hole/party spot.
Peter
Moderate User

Post by Peter »

ditto the north channel.The Benjamin Islands are certainly one of many,many,many beautiful,quiet,pristine anchorages up there.The North Channel is consistantly rated amoung the top fresh water cruizing grounds in the world. My avatar is a shot from the my bridge heading up Baie Fine towards " the Pool.
Please insert acceptable political or boating statement here...or not... I really don't give a crap....
MTurvey

Post by MTurvey »

we spend a lot of time North of town (Sitka) in Salisbury Sound. Lots of fishing and cruising around. We spent the last week iced in Kalinin Bay in Salisbury Sound holding for weather. We had to leave in 7-10 foot seas, and I don't plan on going back until Spring! :)

Before the super bad weather - just icy.

Kalinin Bay. All iced in.
Image[/img]
foofer b
Ultimate User

Post by foofer b »

Jeez Louise< ice on the railings!

Not only will I stop whining about it being cold here, I also take back every past weather related whine I ever uttered!
MY CURRENT FLEET
2003 KEY WEST 2020 WA
1978 14' ASHCRAFT SKIFF
rbcool
Active User

Post by rbcool »

foofer..... great looking Guppies there :wink:
The word "Tasty" comes to mind

Ron 8)
When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat.
Ronald Reagan
1987 F36 Tri-Cabin
Twin 270 Crusaders
"Special K"
Upper Bay, Chesapeake Bay

http://www.photobucket.com/albums/ff424/rbcool/
Paul
Active User

Post by Paul »

MTurvey,

Looks like beautiful cruising waters except for the ice. Do you ever damage propellers due to the ice?
Paul