Touch up Paint?

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Larrys78
Sporadic User

Touch up Paint?

Post by Larrys78 »

I have a few chips and on spot on my transom I would like to touch up does anyone know a paint and or color that will match the F-32 it's seems to be a hard color to get anything to match.
1978 F-32 Knotty Playsure twin 350xl 270 Crusaders
EDMONDS WA
Teach a boy to fish and he will go hungry supporting his boat
http://s1123.photobucket.com/albums/l550/Larrys78/
larrys@wsconline.net
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Larry if its painted then its not the same as new when it was gel-coat. You should be able to get a paint chart to try and match it
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
kevinz

Post by kevinz »

Hey, talking about paint, is Crusader blue available in a brush form? I have Crusader blue spray paint, but I need a brush paint to touch up a few spots on the motors.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Take the cap (if the cap matches the color ) and match it up at a parts store like pep boys . ( wont be engine paint but thats fine)
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
farfrompuken

Post by farfrompuken »

I used Pettit Easypoxy 50% off white and 50% satin white to repaint my catwalks and it almost an exact match for the fadded original gelcoat. In my cockpit I repainted with 70%/30% of the same colores and matches real well because sun didn't fade gelcoat as much
'72 F-31 Express Flybridge JUST US TWO
Twin 270 Crusaders
16' Glassmaster Center Console
hangout:ZACKS BAY Long Island ,New York
http://s390.photobucket.com/albums/oo350/farfrompuken/
George and Joanne Holzmacher
jimbo36
Moderate User

Post by jimbo36 »

O.K, I'm going to throw this out, .. but don't laugh, or tell anybody. :wink: I have restored many boats, matched gelcoat for minor repairs out the ying yang. I had a couple of repairs on my F36 and went through the process (and expense) of trying to formulate the right mixture to acheive the color match, unsuccessfully. One day I was in home Depot in the paint section. I spotted a can of Krylon Fusion spray paint "for plastic" I knew the color was near perfect because I stared at it for hours trying to match it. Thought, what the hell, let's try it. I wiped down the area I had painted with acetone, sanded with 320, and sprayed it with the Krylon. Perfect match :) and very shiny :P . I buffed out the area and, I have to say, it was the best job I have ever achieved on a spot repair. 8) That was 2 years ago and it looks like part of the original boat. Promise you won't tell? :lol: Jimbo36
ramblin

Post by ramblin »

Kevinz - regarding the crusader blue touchup, if you have the spay just spray a bit into the cap to get a puddle and then you can use a touchup brush.
Larrys78
Sporadic User

Post by Larrys78 »

I like the spray can idea might try it
1978 F-32 Knotty Playsure twin 350xl 270 Crusaders
EDMONDS WA
Teach a boy to fish and he will go hungry supporting his boat
http://s1123.photobucket.com/albums/l550/Larrys78/
larrys@wsconline.net
randyp
Active User

Post by randyp »

Jimbo, sweet idea! I have been thinking about repainting or touching up the cabin sides (oh, for about 11 years now). I like your approach, because it sounds easy (and easy is the operative word for us old retired farts). Thanks!
Randy P
1977 F-26 HT
"Blue Heron"
shawzy44

Post by shawzy44 »

Last year I used Bavarian Cream (from Benjamin Moore Paint) to paint the old teak veneer at the aft of my F-28, it worked really well and matched the fiberglass color nicely.

Kevin
Kevin

1979 F-28 "Rumset" w/ twin Chrysler 318's
2005 Mercury Marine 310 Sport w/ 15hp
Centre Point Landing, Bobcaygeon, Ontario