TV setup - couple of ideas if you're looking

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

BobCT
Active User

TV setup - couple of ideas if you're looking

Post by BobCT »

I installed a TV and antenna on my radar arch this past week. If you're looking for a "free" setup you might be impressed with the number of over the air channels you receive. I get about 20 high def and one analog. The nice thing about the high def is it's all or none, meaning it's crystal clear or you don't get anything.

I installed a 14" Shakespeare Seawatch dome. For the TV, I looked for one that had approx 12-13v output from the transformer. I found a 17" Coby LED unit that fit the bill. I cut off the plug from the transformer, fused the + side and hardwired into the 12v system along with the amplifed part of the antenna. Doing it this way, I elminated the need for an inverter and it'll run off the 12v side whether I'm on shore power or not.

I don't know if this will work everywhere but one of the channels I pick up is the same NOAA weather broadcast on the VHF but now I have the visual on the map.

I also ran an extra cable to the stern so I can hook up to cable on shore if I wind up in a slip somewhere and they have it available. I need to find a weather proof jack to finish up this part.

Antenna was around $150 and the TV was under $200 + the TV and antenna mounts.

Bob
1988 10m mid cabin
summer storm
Moderate User

Post by summer storm »

Nice setup. I always thought you could hardwire a TV to the DC system but didn't know if it would work. Any idea what the amp draw is?
Doug

1977 F-32
1982 Chris Craft 280
1992 Boston Whaler 13 Super Sport Limited
1974 F-25 (Sold)
1979 F-26 (sold)
kevinz

Post by kevinz »

I did the same thing. But I also installed a T.V. in the FWD stateroom. And yes the pictures are just like if not better than cable in the house. I like the NOAA weather with live radar. I have installed a few XM weather radars for customers. they pay a lot and get the same I get for free. We also get a weather station from Mobile, AL. that has 24/7 weather with the girls trying to act.
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Bob, sounds like you're all set. I have one comment/concern. By eliminating the 110 volt transformer which supplies a constant regulated output and hooking up directly to the boat's DC system, you will be supplying the unit with a higher voltage than it may be able to handle over time. When your charger is running, it can put out over 14 volts, same with the alternator when under way. Some smart chargers will put out even higher voltages during one of the cycles. You may want to check the maximum input voltage allowed by the TV to ensure longevity. Just thought I'd put it out there.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
Audrey II
Sporadic User

Post by Audrey II »

In my area I get very poor reception with my UFO off air antenna. I'm installing an Intellian I2 satellite dome in the spring I already have DTV boxes on board I was using a dish mounted at my dock but I had no service away from my slip. I have two TVs at the moment and plain to add a third in the cockpit this season. I really don't watch much TV on board but it nice to have at night to keep in touch with the world.
1996 Trojan 440
g36
Moderate User

Post by g36 »

as stated your dc voltage will rise above 12v and the input desired for the tv. you could opt for installing a dc to dc convertor regulator which will smooth out any of the voltage fluctuations thus protecting the tvs. if not just see how long the tvs last and next time you will know if it was needed.
i have been using off air digital for a while and also an in motion sat dish. we enjoy being anchored and watching football etc. but this isnt everybodys idea of boating but it works for us.
1997 CARVER 405
"the BLACK PEARL"

past fleet
1978 F32 SEDAN CHRYSLER 318's

current fleet
1997 seadoo gts
1997 yamaha wave venture
1985 sunbird 18 ft runabout
1968 coronado sailboat 25 ft
sunfish
14' hobie cat
canoe
8ft portabote
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

Got to ask what sat set up do have g36
Carver 3607 ACMY 454's Merc's
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

http://s852.beta.photobucket.com/user/t ... 8/library/
BobCT
Active User

specs

Post by BobCT »

Good points on the voltage, I thought it was actually closer to 13v but it is in fact 12v. It will probably be ok but something to think about. I'm going to throw a meter on that circuit and see how much higher than 12v it actually runs.

As far as amperage, the specs on the transformer (not used now) are 1 amp input, 110v, 4amp output at 12 volts.

Bob
1988 10m mid cabin
Captain Blast Off
Sporadic User

Post by Captain Blast Off »

I bought a 12 volt LCD high def flat screen; plugs in to a 12 volt outlet in the salon. Hooked it up with a $14 digital antenna that sits flat on the shelf right behind the tv and you can't even see it.

The tv runs on ac/dc and was only $180.00 even has HDMI and all the good stuff and yes it wall mounts if you want to.

This works well for me I don't have a generator and am setting up using 12 volt power as the main source. Planning on installing two six volt deep cycles for house power (I have that set up in the 5th wheel and it works great).
1963 31' Sea Breeze; Twin Interceptors
2000 21' Lightning; Marine Power 454 jet drive

http://s1177.photobucket.com/home/sdelfino5225/index
foofer b
Ultimate User

Post by foofer b »

Try this for free entertainment. Anchor close to your local neighborhood boat ramp and get up early Saturday morning, take your coffe to the back deck and watch the show!!
MY CURRENT FLEET
2003 KEY WEST 2020 WA
1978 14' ASHCRAFT SKIFF
risctaker
Sporadic User

Post by risctaker »

Watch the goings on at the local boat ramp?? Nope - way to violent for the family!! Need to stick to PG-rated stuff.
1970 36' Trojan Tri-Cabin Enc. Pilot House
aka "Basket Case"
383 Chryslers 280 HP V-Drives
Lincoln Harbor Yacht club
Weehawken, NJ
"If you continue on the course you are on, you run the risk of winding up where you are heading"
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

Foofer your so right, :lol: :lol: those THT guy's are a riot.
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

Peter
Moderate User

Post by Peter »

uhm...ahh...do I need all that high tech stuff you'se guys are talking about to watch my DVD's of the 1972 Tennesse State Mixed Midget Jello Wrestling Championships?.... I understand it was a particularly entertaining match.... 8)
Please insert acceptable political or boating statement here...or not... I really don't give a crap....
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

Lord here we go with that sick stuff again :arrow:
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

g36
Moderate User

Post by g36 »