1968 26 ft sea breeze prop/v-drive question

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Consultant

1968 26 ft sea breeze prop/v-drive question

Post by Consultant »

I have a 26 ft "68" Sea Breeze powered by a chrysler marine 318 with a walther V-drive. My question is that at 2200-2400 rpm I get up to about 9-10 knots and then seem to "bog" down. I am unable to get the RPM over 2500 The engine runs well, and is well tuned,I have been advised that it may be 1) Prop size or 2) the gear ratio in my v-drive, which I belive is orginal it has a ratio of 1-1 transmission to v- drive any thoughts?

E-mail me
or reply here
Thanks
Cwiley
thewileys1@prodigy.net
Last edited by Consultant on Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NYRaider

Post by NYRaider »

318's are prone to carbon blocks in the intake manifolds which will affect the air fuel mix. When the engine is warm, check the temp around the carb. on the intake manifold..the temp should be the same...if not, you have a blockage. Also check the weights on the distributors....these should be free....clean them and check the return springs.
Consultant

Post by Consultant »

Hmmmm curious, I just had a problem with my wet exhaust, SB side over heating, I pulled my exhaust elbows, had them hot tanked and cleaned, adjusted the hose angle and it seemed to solve that problem, but now this has me wondering,

another question I am pulling my transmisssion to change the gaskets as my transmission leak has increased from a occasional drip to a dribble and I worry about oily bilge water here in Puget sound Its been a tight Transmission w/o problems, should I be "worried" about anything else?
cw
NYRaider

Post by NYRaider »

I can't tell you about that.

I was a MOPAR mechanic, and the heads on 318's were made for 340's and 383's...and don't exactly line up causing large carbon blocks through the intake manifold right under the Carb. I have seen these blocks close off the entire port. The only way to clear this problem, is to remove the intake manifold and drill them out, clearing the port.
If your experiencing hesitation...I would look carefully at the weights & springs in the distributor and maybe even the cam.