Taking the fly bridge off

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

jordan
Sporadic User

Taking the fly bridge off

Post by jordan »

I will be removing the bridge off my 76 F-32 this spring. Does any one know what type of steering it has? Hydraulic or mechanical? How tough is this project going to be? To save $700.00 bucks I told the transport company I would do this. Hopefully I didn't bite off to much.

Thanks, Jim
SHEGAVEIN (F-32)
Capt. Jim Jordan
rossjo
Ultimate User

1974 F32

Post by rossjo »

My 1974 F32 has chain drive up top to transfer to the forward part of the bridge and then through a vertical rod down to a gear box in the lower helm (right through the saloon, to the starboard of the steps).

Take a peak inside the upper helm and see if you have this chain drive or hydraulic lines ...

The mechanical works fine, now that I rebuilt everything ... and won't fail due to a leak!
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17
jav
Moderate User

Post by jav »

My 1974 F-32 manual states I should have hydraulic but mine is mechanical like Rossjo. Either way, the steering is the easy part when it come to flybridge removal. The bulk of the work is in disconnecting and marking all the wiring at the upper helm, disconnecting the throttle and shift cables- removing all the trim and railings and finally, removing the helm pod and flybridge.
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Flybridge

Post by Stripermann2 »

I have a 1985 F32 with hydraulic steering. Your boat, unless converted, has a mechanical/chain drive. Even if converted at some time in the past, the hardware may still be intact...

I removed my bridge for transport about 5 years ago and it wasn't difficult.

Forward of the bench, you'll see a tunnel, which houses the steering drive assy. After you disconnect all the mechanicals up on the bridge, LABEL all other components and wiring for re-assembly. Just plan on taking your time and you can do it in a full day.
Remove the seats and bases first for more room to work up there. I left a few screws in the bridge and console until the final removal. I taped all wiring, etc as close to flat, to lay on top of the salon roof which was enough clearance for bridges...I did not have to remove the short stantions which the flybridge railing went into. You also can leave the wind screen attached to the bridge and remove together. The ladder has to come off too, try to remove the allen set screws at the base as oppose to getting under the cockpit floor and holding the nuts for the ladder base.

Hope this helps, Jamie
jordan
Sporadic User

Post by jordan »

Thanks everybody, This is making me feel better about doing this. I'm getting excited to go get the boat ready to move. After buying the boat I never was able to run it for more than a few miles before putting it away for the winter. Can't wait for spring, already planning vacation time for boating in the apostle islands and to isle royale.

Thanks, jim
SHEGAVEIN (F-32)
Capt. Jim Jordan
bobber

1974 F30 Searaider

Post by bobber »

Anyone out there ever replace the side and back boards on the fly bridge ? Back and sides are wet and open, how do they come off? New to me.
jordan
Sporadic User

Post by jordan »

Thanks for all the great info.
The steering was chain drive and it was the easy part. The wiring was all color coded so that went very quickly. The bridge was off in 3 hours and tied down on the deck, ready for transport. I brought the upper helm home and redid the dash and console area in mahgony. The transport company did a great job at getting it delivered to Lake Superior, now it is time to put it back together. I have a feeling I won't be able to do that in 3 hours. Can't wait to get it in the water and start enjoying the boat.
Thanks to all, Jim
SHEGAVEIN (F-32)
Capt. Jim Jordan