RENAMING A BOAT BAD LUCK? HOW TO REMOVE A PAINTED ON NAME?

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

TrojanInternational91

RENAMING A BOAT BAD LUCK? HOW TO REMOVE A PAINTED ON NAME?

Post by TrojanInternational91 »

Hi all....This is my first post to this website. I am glad to see a forum dedicated to Trojan Boats. Quick history on my boat. I never owned a boat before in my life and 2 years ago I purchased a 1991 Trojan International 10.8 Meter in Rochester, NY. Amazing boat, well maintained very spacious, and perfect for pleasure cruising. Anyways when we purchased the boat it has a name hand painted it looks like, on both side of the boat. Called "White Dove". Personally I cannot stand the name I want to make the boat mine by giving it my own name. Question is, and it may sound stupid, but do you guys feel renaming a boat is really bad luck? I am curious as to your opinions, and also what is the best way to remove something like this. Like I said it is hand painted not a decal so I want to know how to remove it without ruining the gelcoat. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!
Eddie-O

Post by Eddie-O »

I used easy-off oven cleaner with a starbrite pad it worked verry well you must wash down with hose when done so you donte damange gell coat
Eddie-O
P.S. I also renamed my boat (to make it my boat)
chumwithabottleofrum
Sporadic User

Post by chumwithabottleofrum »

Yes it is considered bad luck to rename a boat-but there is a ritual for the boat renaming ceremony that is supposed to help with the bad luck thing. You can do a search of the net and there are a number os sites that will lay out the ritual for you. Good luck with it, and the new boat.
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

I use to think it was bad luck for a name change as well...but I believe that is limited to large commercial ships? Name changes are done all the time.

I have used Easy-Off as well with no scrubbing. But you need to constantly have hose handy and rinse down transom below the name as the paint runs down...just repeat the process over an hour or two, then you can polish afterwards. You may see some ghost lettering sometime thereafter. Good luck,

Jamie
Mac32
Moderate User

Post by Mac32 »

If you are planning on re-naming a boat then you MUST go through and de-name her by asking the gods forgiveness. In reality this was a hoot when I did this with all my dock neighbors around and it turned into quite the celebration. I highly recommend it.

Here is a link to the ceremony I used a few years ago.

http://www.48north.com/mr_offline/denaming.htm

Good luck with the technical side of name removal (mine was safety stripper and polishing compound, then wax, then vinyl graphics) But make sure you have fun and keep Neptune happy. Its good for the soul :D
Safari

Post by Safari »

for removing the old name - use multiple applications of Easy Off oven cleaner (no scrubbing). After each application, hose off with water, wipe down, and then (kind of important), wipe down with a cloth soaked in white vinegar. Repeat until paint is gone - usually 2 or 3 applications. When done, you will probably need to sand with 1000 grit paper and then polish.