454/8.1L production blocks no longer available...what now?

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

todd brinkerhoff
Moderate User

454/8.1L production blocks no longer available...what now?

Post by todd brinkerhoff »

So Crusader is no longer offering a big block marine engine. GM no longer produces a big block engine, which was replaced by a 6.2L, which does not have the low end torque of the big blocks. So for those guys that have the BB gassers, and want to refit or replace a current engine, what do you do now? Is diesel the only option? And if you can't afford the HUGE costs associated with a Diesel refit, what do you do?

I think all these BB gassers are going to need to be replaced sooner than later with the new federal mandates on E15 fuel. Eventually it will be mandated on the water, and these older engines will not handle it. So what do you do?

Do you think there will be a viable gas BB replacement for the 32 to 40 something foot Trojans? Or will this be the true end to the Trojan gassers?
1991 Trojan International 10.8 Meter Express hull# 003 - 454 Crusaders
1961 Century Raven 22 - Gray Marine 327

http://s1086.photobucket.com/home/Todd_ ... hoff/index
risctaker
Sporadic User

Post by risctaker »

My initial thinking is that, unless someone's block is totally trashed, it can be rebuilt almost endlessly with new internals. It would be highly unlikely that the block itself would become bad. I can think of spun bearings, heads, gaskets, piston rings, cooling components, etc, which will always be available on the aftermarket. Just keep that block healthy and it will outlive the owner.
1970 36' Trojan Tri-Cabin Enc. Pilot House
aka "Basket Case"
383 Chryslers 280 HP V-Drives
Lincoln Harbor Yacht club
Weehawken, NJ
"If you continue on the course you are on, you run the risk of winding up where you are heading"
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Small blocks can do the work BUT and this is the but the install has to be done right and most times it is not . Most of the time when refitted to small blocks they do not get the gearing right so they can't run a prop of the correct size for the boat .you replace a BB with a 2 to 1 gear with a high out put SB you need to go to a 2.57 or so gear .

Same goes for diesels you would not gear a 2800rpm Cummins the same as a 3800 rpm Yanmar

E 10 will effect the fuel system not the engine life it self . The feds have oked the use of E15 But has not mandated it Big difference
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

GM stopped 8.1L production but is replacing them with the 8.2L. So Merc, Crusader, I magine any other builders that use GM blocks for gassers (Volvo too) will pick up the 8.2 line.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

The small block has been push to 7.0 , close to big block CID could we see this in the marine field some day ?
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

Sorry for my stupidity, but Crusader still advertises an 8.1 and an 8.1HO on their web site... are you saying they no longer offer it but just haven't updated the site yet? I thought a few manufacturers had switched to Vortec based engine platforms over the past 2-3 years - are none of those an option?
jddens
Moderate User

Post by jddens »

Rebuilding is always a possibility...there and numerous "big block" blocks out there and cranks, heads, pistons, rods....etc......you will always be able to rebuild..................my 350's make 330 hp, about the same as the big blocks however torque for a bigger boat is a different matter.................John
1972 Trojan Sea Raider F30 - FI 350's "Time Warp"
1998 Kawasaki ZXi 1100
1972 Chevy Fleetside Shortbed hotrod.......450hp
10.5 Newport Inflatable w/15hp Rude
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

captainmaniac wrote:Sorry for my stupidity, but Crusader still advertises an 8.1 and an 8.1HO on their web site... are you saying they no longer offer it but just haven't updated the site yet? I thought a few manufacturers had switched to Vortec based engine platforms over the past 2-3 years - are none of those an option?

I believe they may have bought up a large supply of the blocks so the can offer the choice for some time to come.
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
todd brinkerhoff
Moderate User

Post by todd brinkerhoff »

This is of course second or third hand info, but a couple of people have tried to purchase the 8.1l and the suppliers are saying they are not available. If this is true, I do not know why Crusader would still advertise it. Someone said that they spoke to a Crusader rep, and they have no plans to have another big block motor and are concentrating on the small blocks currently offered.

I know there will always be the option to rebuild what you already have, but what if you were looking to refit your big Trojan with a more fuel efficient, fuel injected, and more powerful engine pair with the Crusader 8.1Ls, because you could not swing for a set of diesels. This was always a good option for the guy looking to boost torque and performance with less fuel usage in lieu of the expense of a diesel refit. They couldn't match the diesel's performance, but you would have to run through a lot of gas to make up the difference.

I know Merc was advertising the new 8.2s, but as I said, someone reported that Crusader was not planning on going with any big blocks and were sticking with the small block as their flagship setup. I have Crusader now, so I was hoping for an easy swap out in lieu of switching manufactures.

The marine engine industry eventually follows the automotive industry, and I think the Big block gassers are a thing of the past in the automotive industry. Fuel efficiency is the flavor, and there is a big push toward using smaller motors to push more HP and torque. A good example of this is the new Ford EcoBoost. You're looking at a 3.5 Liter V6 with a pair of turbos producing the same torque over a longer range than the 6.2Ls offered in their 1 tons. Its better on fuel and has the same towing capacity as their largest gasser. This is the future. But, what does it mean for the marine industry?

Do you see the Duramax (GM based) Diesel coming over to the marine side?
1991 Trojan International 10.8 Meter Express hull# 003 - 454 Crusaders
1961 Century Raven 22 - Gray Marine 327

http://s1086.photobucket.com/home/Todd_ ... hoff/index
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

"Do you see the Duramax (GM based) Diesel coming over to the marine side?"

Yes its here Gale Banks is the first one to do it.

http://www.banksmarine.com/
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

In spite of what Crusader may say now, market share and market conditions/demand is what will drive the final outcome ongoing if they want to stay competative/in business. Big block gassers on the way out? I don't see it happening IMO.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
Allen Sr
Active User

Post by Allen Sr »

prowlersfish wrote:"Do you see the Duramax (GM based) Diesel coming over to the marine side?"

Yes its here Gale Banks is the first one to do it.

http://www.banksmarine.com/
I went to the website not much info there. I wonder what a refit with those baby's would co$t? :roll: :shock:
Growing old is inevitable,but growing up is optional
1984 F36 w/350 Crusaders 'Reel Class'
2011 Trojan Rendevous
Solomons Get Together 2011
Ocean City 2012,2013,2015
gettaway
Active User

Post by gettaway »

duramax:

isnt that a isuzu?
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

gettaway wrote:duramax:

isnt that a isuzu?

Joint venture
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
1995 390 express
Sporadic User

Post by 1995 390 express »

hi as far as i know there are plenty of 454 and 502 gm engines available in left hand rotation. they have brand new crate motors as well as remanufactured long blocks and for right hand rotation there is just remanufactured long blocks. most of the remans require a block exchange or core charge and they vary in price. i found a place with in reasonable distance and saved shipping and core charge and sales tax. i got a brand new 454 320 hp with oil pan valve covers harmonic balancer and timing chain cover all installed with roller rockers gen 6 for 4800.00 and a reman. right hand rotation long block gen 5 for 3250.00 . when i was there last they were waiting on a shipment of 502's - don t know if you already solved your problem -if not i hope this helps good luck