Potomac Rendezvous at Port Kinsale

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

seen the story over at the other site on your engine jm any more news on it ?, And would like to see a Carver/Trojan 440 at a get together. :wink: :wink:
Carver 3607 ACMY 454's Merc's
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

http://s852.beta.photobucket.com/user/t ... 8/library/
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

jmeirhofer , what engines do you have in your Trojan 440 ? What proplems are you having ?
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
jmeirhofer

Post by jmeirhofer »

Thanks for the inquiry. The motors are Cat 3126TA 420hp. Still have not gotton to the bottom of it but had water/antifreeze intrusion into the #3 cylinder. They think there is a crack in that cylinder but they are not sure. It is however scored too. Also found traces of antifreeze in the oil And traces of oil in the antifreeze. Also oil residue in the antifreeze overflow. No antifreeze in either the tank or the overflow and not much in the motor itself. The guess, at this point that is all it is and will be, is that the turbo or the oil cooler was the cause of the leak and the subsequent overheat likely led to the the block issue. One other issue that is puzzleing, the coolant tank cap when pressure tested failed. However, the day this all came to a head, when I checked the antifreeze level it was good as was the overflow tank. I have never had to put antifreeze in either motor. There was no antifreeze in the bilge and there was not any smoke out of the exhaust. Not sure where all the antifreeze went but it was not in the crank case.

The reason I said that is all it will be is I am not willing to spend several hundred in additional diagnosis money. I know the block is damaged and needs replaced. The head may be as well. I know the heat exchanger is okay as it pressure tested fine. I am getting a reman long block and having the turbo rebuilt. The oil cooler comes with the block. i do not need them to test the head or the oil cooler to figure out if it was the culprit at $85 an hour. At this point I am more comfortable with having everything rebuilt.

The insurance guy is coming mid-week to make a determination if it is covered. I am not holding my breath on that one. The new motor will be here on Friday. With a little luck everything will be assembled and ready by the following weekend. The motor has a one year warranty and I will likely purchase an extended warranty for another year or two.

Going in with the attitude that I know nothing of the history of the starboard motor, I will be taking a pro-active approach on the maintenance and consider that nothing has been done. Over the next couple months I will be removing cleaning and testing all of the components starting with the heat exchanger and oil cooler. I recently had a service done on that motor so I will wait a few hours to do an oil sample. I am also going to flush the anitfreeze on that one since I now have no idea how old it is. Basically everything that is in the service manual short of rebuilding it. I will be following the manual on both motors pretty religously here on out I can assure you.

I do have the basic service manual and am pretty good mechanically. I have seen nothing that I can not service myself (save maybe turbo rebuild or injector rebuild) given the appropriate amount of time. In the end I will know it was done and done correctly. :idea: I had always done all of my own maintenance and repairs on everything from boats to motorcycles and cars. Even worked on a few airplanes back in the day. I had gotten lazy and let other people do it for me the last few years due to committments to other things. I think I need to change that.

Blowing into the teens in boat bucks will have you quickly re-evaluate things that is for sure. Sucks that it happened but stuff breaks. I am just glad I am in a position to afford the cost.

Sorry for the long post but you guys asked. :)
1997 Trojan 440 Express
Wes
Moderate User

Post by Wes »

We were at the rendezvous at each destination and I vote we try for cooler weather. At Lankford Bay it was so hot everyone stayed in their air conditioned boats. The Solomons was a little better but still HOT! Unfortunately it will take us all of next year to pay for this year's trip. Hopefully in 2 years we can do it again and tease all the dock queens.
Wes
Moderate User

Post by Wes »

Excuse me, I mean "dock sitters".
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

Wes, is it was a pleasure to meet you and your wife. I hope your travels were enjoyable!
I look forward to the next accommodating cruise where we'll be able to spend more time sharing stories and catching up!

Maybe 2013... :wink:
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
Wes
Moderate User

Post by Wes »

Jamie,
The pleasure was ours. Next time, due to expenses, we'll probably have to drive down. When we departed Cape May for Manasquan we looked at the Atlantic and I didn't like what I saw. I decided to take the Intracoastal waterway through NJ. I heard on the radio that there were small craft warnings on the ocean. Other than that, just about everything was wonderful except for the oppressive heat. We logged 1052 miles on the trip. No "dock sitter" here. LOL
Be well and keep enjoying thet "Trojan".
Wes
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

Glad to see your home and safe. Michelle and I enjoyed meeting you all and seeing a 1 of 12 Trojan. And you better know it no more round ups in july!
Carver 3607 ACMY 454's Merc's
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

http://s852.beta.photobucket.com/user/t ... 8/library/
Wes
Moderate User

Post by Wes »

Thanks Tony,

I actually didn't want to stay on the boat after we arrived back at our home port. I needed a few days ashore, but I'll be back there on Friday.
willietrojan
Moderate User

Post by willietrojan »

does anyone have any pictures they can post?
WillieTrojan (Owned F32, Willpower in Kinsale, Va)
Spanish Fort, Al

Looking for 33 International
Wes
Moderate User

Post by Wes »

I just sent some to Paul and I'm sure he'll post a few of them.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Willie We where looking for you to show up , have you found a boat yet ? I see what photos I can dig up . I took very few on this trip mostly at the Solomons .

I will see what Wes has when I get them .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D