F36 tricab - where do you take yours?

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

F36 tricab - where do you take yours?

Post by P-Dogg »

I'm in danger of buying a tricabin. One thing I want to know from current owners is, what kind of seas do you take your boat out in? Do you go off-shore? Can I use this boat for casual tuna fishing 25 miles off-shore once in a while, or will I be limited to protected bays and rivers? I'm not talking "Deadliest Catch" kind of seas, but if the forecast is for 4 to 6 foot waves, do you drink your beers at the dock?

If you reply, you may feel honored if you wish, as this is my FIRST PUBLIC POST! Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this fabulous forum. I am about one-third through reading all of the posts, and I am scheduled to see the Tricab of Aaron from Baltimore Saturday after lunch.

Yes Aaron -- after talking to you yesterday and reading many of your posts, you should write that book ( or at least the chapter), so more folks can benefit from your experience and knowledge.
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

In my opinion and I'll speak for most...inshore and lakes would be the most for the boat. It's not an offshore vessel. It's a pleasure vessel...4-6 foot seas can be rough for many boats. A Tri Cabin was not built for this. Enjoy the vessel if you get one. But in calmer waters.
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
k9th
Ultimate User

Post by k9th »

Welcome to the forum P-Dogg.

I have to disagree with Jamie about the way the Tri-cabin handles rough water. I have had mine in 4-6 regularly and 6-8 many times and have had no problems. From what I have read here about the way the 32 and the 36 flybridge models handle following seas, my tri-cabin doesn't have that problem and handles them well. My wife even has no problems with the way she handles rough water - and you know the old saying - "if the admiral ain't happy ain't nobody happy".

I do agree it is a pleasure craft and not the best choice for offshore fishing - especially with the very limited area for fishing if you get one of the later models without the cockpit area in the back. If you want a great boat with lots of room and a comfortable ride - the tri-cabin is a great choice.

To answer your question - I do all of my boating on the Great Lakes and am docked at Michigan City, IN on Lake Michigan. We have traveled Lake Michigan and Lake Huron extensively and often go into Ontario to Georgian Bay and the North Channel for some of the most pristine boating in the world.

Aaron is your guy and I am glad you are going to look his over. I love mine and have never regretted the decision to get her - she fits my boating style perfectly.
Tim

"SeaDog"
1979 36' Tri-Cabin
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Its not a off shore boat for sure , and not well set up for tuna fishing for sure . Was not designed as fishing friendly , although RBCool fishes his all the time.

4-6 foots seas are nothing 4 foot waves will beet the hell out of you. the F36 handles about average in following seas not bad not great . having run both the tri and the convertable , they both are the same in following seas , ( same bottom shape ) . I boat on the cheasapeke bay and going out on the bay in 4-6 footers on the bay is nuts .

Would I take my boat off shore ? sure But I pick my days

Btw there is a lot more to waves and seas then there hight

And welcome to the forum .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

2 things I forgot The tri cabin is a great boat , and Aaron knows the tri cabins well
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
rbcool
Active User

Post by rbcool »

Welcome to the forum!!!!
As a mere lad in '66 I lived in a house right on 80 in Monrovia.
I do fish almost every weekend with my Tri, and have caught alot of 40+ inch Rockfish on her. Unfortunately where I fish on the Chesapeke, the best fishing seems for me to be in 4-6 footers in Nov. and Dec. (see pics)
It is not something I recommend with this boat but she does handle remakably well if you keep her into the waves and wind. I also would never do it unless I have my best friend and fishing mate with me because I have to be at the wheel 100% of the time in those conditions.
Would I take her 25 m offshore and fish??? Not ever unless the coast gaurd was following me :wink: You might think about a boat like Pauls 36 if you only want to go tuna fishing.
But I wouldn't hesitate cruising her up or down the coast a few miles offshore.
As a few people have stated, she is an AWESOME all-around boat and extremly comfortable. I was shocked when I pulled her out to put a new transducer in that her bottom was 1" thick.
Another thing to consider is you'll have to keep her at OC or similar if you plan to fish in the ocean, since the fuel bill to get there would be rediculous from most places on the bay. Just a thought :wink:
Good luck with your decision and I vote for the Tri if you want something more family friendly with tons of space for guests.

Ron 8)
When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat.
Ronald Reagan
1987 F36 Tri-Cabin
Twin 270 Crusaders
"Special K"
Upper Bay, Chesapeake Bay

http://www.photobucket.com/albums/ff424/rbcool/
foofer b
Ultimate User

Post by foofer b »

Prowlerfish is right. PICK YOUR DAYS! I take my F26 out 12-15 miles regularly, but only when the weather is right. Like the 36' , my F26 isd not an offshore boat, but will handle 4-6' seas. It is not fun though, and can be dangerous.
MY CURRENT FLEET
2003 KEY WEST 2020 WA
1978 14' ASHCRAFT SKIFF
wowzer52
Active User

Post by wowzer52 »

Welcome to the forum P-Dogg. I could be wrong but I believe the F-32's don't handle following seas well because of the wide beam and SHORT length. But where else can you get this much room in a 32ft boat. After drilling a hole in the hull to install a transducer, like rbcool, I was surprised to see the thickness of the hull. It measured 1.5" thick, so I saved the piece to show others. It gives me much confidence when I'm in rough water.
1975 F-32 "SIMPLY BLESSED"
foofer b
Ultimate User

Post by foofer b »

That's so funny. I saved my piece of transom coring when I installed a fishfinder last year. It was 3/4 inch thick solid glass.
MY CURRENT FLEET
2003 KEY WEST 2020 WA
1978 14' ASHCRAFT SKIFF
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Where do you take yours?

Post by P-Dogg »

Thanks guys. My main use would be on the Chesapeake bay, based on the northern end not far from were Sir Aaron of Baltimore keeps his tricab. The usual boating day would be gunkholing with the wife and kids, probably involving dropping a line to fish, but not for anything like stripers.

I like the tricab because of it's interior layout. A floating camper and weekend condo is what the wife is looking for - and it was her idea to buy a boat! A fishing machine is not what I'm after, but I would sure try to do some if I had a boat. I've thought about doing the not-so-great loop around Delaware (Baltimore, c&d canal, Delaware river, Cape May, Norfolk, and thence up the bay). If I found myself there, I would go off-shore aways, but any offshore runs would be infrequent and, as advised, on days that are carefully picked. I've been 50 miles off the North Carolina coast in seas that were dead calm -- not even swells. Quite frankly, it was a little bit creepy. A canoe would have been fine (if it wasn't for the sharks!) so I know it can be done.

Thanks to everyone who takes the time to provide thoughtful responses to posts. This forum is a wealth of useful information for prospective and current owners.
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!