new owner general engine questions.

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Yes Dizzy is distributor.

Larry, standard engine rotation in a marine application is determined by facing the flywheel. CCW (LH) flywheel rotation is standard engine rotation in a marine application. CW (RH) rotation of the flywheel is the counter rotating marine engine. Having said that, one must be careful when using Chrysler serial numbers (Chris Craft too). The engine rotation standard in those days was a grey area, and not always consistant. It wasn't always so clear whether they were using what we now go by which is; from flywheel end CCW (LH) is standard (same as auto) rotation. There are several ways to tell but to be sure, bump over the engine, follow plug wires, or determine firing order by checking which cylinder is on compression stroke next after number one. Going by what's stamped on intake can be misleading if intake was replaced.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

The stamping on the intake is for normal rotaion engines even when install on a revese rotaion engine when new , I don't rember seeing on stamped other wise , Have you ?
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

here is what I know to be a fact on my boat original engines and serial number tag. Chrysler used L or R in the model number to designation prop rotation. and number like 10 for 1:1 ration 15 for 1:5 ratio etc. That is right out of the Chrysler 318 manual.

There was no stamping on intake only a stamped tag under the coil. The L engine had a sticker arrow on the top of timing case cover inticating CW from the front ergo CCW or L turning from Rear. The other engine had a sticker on the water pump bracket pointing the rotation direction which would be CCW from front and CW or R turning from rear and that was the way they turned.

Regarding intake manifolds both of mine have the word "marine" in the casting on the bottom side. There are two 4 barrel manifolds for the 318 3 degree tilt and 11 degree tilt of the carb bases for different applications. My V drives use the 3 degree manifold.

Whew if you can believe it.
Last edited by larryeddington on Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Paul, I never saw a manifold stamped other than standard firing order but didn't want to say that they didn't exist. I'm simply not sure of that.

Larry, what you're saying is a little confusing to me. As fas as I know, auto engines set the standard years ago as CW (RH) looking at the front of the engine to be the norm. Or in marine terms "standard engine rotation" from flywheel end CCW (LH). Hense opposite rotation used in marine as being the "counter rotater" (LH or CCW looking at balancer (automotive viewpoint)). And I always love throwing this in here to just make things even more interesting; Standard marine engine rotation is CCW or LH, standard prop rotation is CW or RH. Gotta love boats!!
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

Big D,

I hate to admit but you are correct I dumbed up and was tricked by looking at the fan. I just went outside at the farm and checked 2 auto engines and a tractor all turned right or CW from front at the crankshaft. That said I looked at the fans and guess what my ford diesel fan turns to the left as did the chevy trucks I had looked at. The culpret I think is the Serpentine belt. You have to look at the crank shaft.

That said my port V drive engine model # is LM318BVL 10 918 indicating a LH CCW propeller turning engine. (Chrysler in their manual indicates the L as to the prop direction not engine rotation) The engine direction indicating arrow :arrow: on the timing cover points to the right. So it would be RH looking from front of engine. The Starboard engine is a BVR indicating RH properller turn and the turn indicater placed by Chrysler on the raw water pump bracket indicated the turn of the engine from front was Left hand <-. I turned the engine with the starter and confirmed.

I have both new engines on pallet stands out of the boat and if you trace turn through the V drive and to output, the L and R designator are correct for engine tranny packages as to prop rotation, but is opposite the engine rottation at output but correct prop turn for Port or Starboard.

All said my Starboard engine is the non standard engine in this configuration or standard rotation on left and reverse engine on right.

You are correct and I must rest up after all this thought. A good shot of Jack Danials will fix me. :D
Larry
Larry Eddington
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
9.5' Dink
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

I'm not letting you off that easy, you have to pour one for me too!!
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

I will absolutely pour one for you and being as you are notin Texas will be forced to drink it for you. :D if down this way will pour it for you.
Larry Eddington
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
9.5' Dink
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

I can taste it now, thanks Larry.
ssntmre66

Post by ssntmre66 »

okay so i looked at my prop and it seems like if it rotates clockwise the boat will be propelled forewards so that goes with the RH stamping... new 318 is going in this weekend so that sould take care of that.
Now all i gotta do is replace the floor and clean up the inside a little. The back portion of floor is waterlogged and rotten so its going this weekend. I was thinking of marine plywood coated with interco intradeck any suggestions or recommendations or personal expierances would be greatly appreciated...
ssntmre66

Post by ssntmre66 »

So I got the old motor pulled today...Found some stuff out, it definatelly had LOW run time on it, camshaft barely looks broken in. But it got tons of water in it so it will have to be rebilt. So im going ahead with the install of the car engine for now. I am pulling everything off the marine engine intake, carb, dist, oil pan, front accessories, fuel pump and everything else i can think of. I am going to check the exaust risers for leaks nad hopefully this week the motor is going in. Picks to come soon
1995 390 express
Sporadic User

Post by 1995 390 express »

don t know if its to late but i just went through the same issue on my boat with twin gm 454 s and the firing order on intake manifolds mean nothing. they only manufacture 1 intake with the same stamping for left hand rotation. check the distributor itself and compare both engines. plug wires will be be going to different sides of engine if its opposite rotation to accomadate diff firing order.
1995 390 express
Sporadic User

Post by 1995 390 express »

if you put car engine on starboard side you will need to reverse raw water pump. alternator should work but cooling finns will spin backwards and you need to find out if engine water pump will function properly if u are fresh water cooled. i made these exact mistakes and velvet drive transmission would not engage due to pump spinning backwards. i could have reversed pump in tranny but would of ended up with both engines spinning same direction. good luck
ssntmre66

Post by ssntmre66 »

boat is standard rotation for sure now. found out engine has a standard rotation camshaft in it. started replacing aft deck this weekend...