new owner general engine questions.

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

ssntmre66

new owner general engine questions.

Post by ssntmre66 »

Hi all. I just picked up a 76 trojan F26 for a song (100 bucks)... everything seems to be in order but the engine has locked up it is a 318. the code on the plate under the steering wheel says that the engine is a 318 bwh 249185 RH rotation, and the boat number is 261-5026. My question is that I bought a cherry 318 auto engine and was planning on dropping it in. But the RH rotation is telling me that the engine will spin the wrong way for me. can i just switch the propeller to the opposite pitch and be okay? I read something about switching the pump also, is that the raw water pump? Also someone said that the transmission can be reversed to allow me to keep the same prop... Any help would be greatly appreciated because I am a boating newb, but me and my family are really falling in love with this boat and want to get it back on the water.
k9th
Ultimate User

Post by k9th »

First of all, welcome to the forum. I am sure when you get the engine question straightened out, and any others that may pop up,you will enjoy your F26.

There are many on here that have a great knowledge of your boat and several who make their living working on boats and I am sure they will be along soon to answer all of your questions.

Do you have any photos you could post? Did you get a survey done to check all of the other items beside the engine?
Last edited by k9th on Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tim

"SeaDog"
1979 36' Tri-Cabin
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

The transmission cannot be reversed to keep the same prop on a Velvet drive (most likely you have one) You will need to rotate the pump on the front of the transmission to match the direction of the engine and get the right prop . I believe you will have to rotate the raw water pump also . you will need to get a proper rotation starter ,

Make sure of the engine(s) directions be fore changing everything.
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
TurboTim

Post by TurboTim »

Couldnt you just take the cam and dizzy out of the old motor? Whould see that that would be the most straight forward. Maybe I am wrong though.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Dizzy ??
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
ssntmre66

Post by ssntmre66 »

prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

looks good
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
foofer b
Ultimate User

Post by foofer b »

prowlersfish wrote:Dizzy ??

Distributor?
MY CURRENT FLEET
2003 KEY WEST 2020 WA
1978 14' ASHCRAFT SKIFF
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

foofer b wrote:
prowlersfish wrote:Dizzy ??

Distributor?
Could be ????
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

the 318 is the same block and crankshaft as auto engine but many things are done to marinize it, for instance Brass "freeze" and welch plugs. The engine comes with a sticker stating it is an industrial or marine engine not for use on roads. It is configured to run at constant rpms rather than stop and go.

I have my old engines both R and L turning engines, good running internals, R standard turning engine had block cracked by freezing, but still ran as did the L turning engine but good block. Used in fresh water
Last edited by larryeddington on Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
ssntmre66

Post by ssntmre66 »

okay so i hooked up my starter to a 12 volt battery today (just hooked the hot wire to the bolt sticking out of the starter and toughted the ground to the body of the starter) it spun counterclockwise which would spin the engine clockwise when looking at it from the flywheel which i believe is a standard rotation motor correct? plus the firing order of the motor in the boat is identical to the firing order of the car engine according to the intakes. Wouldnt the firing order have to be different on a reverse rotation engine?
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

You are correct standarrd rotation is to the right or clockwwise from the front end and CCW from flywheel. You said the engine was locked up. Apparently not if the starter spun it so it is free, good thing.

In twin screws the props turn over the top towards port and starboard. That way torque is mitigated.

I would bet, but I do not know for sure all single screw applications are normal, RH clockwise rotation looking at the prop from the rear
Last edited by larryeddington on Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Larry Eddington
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
9.5' Dink
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

FYI, beacon marine our sponsors can provide with documentation on your boat with the serial number. Wiring diagrams what it originally sold for, how it was equipped.
Larry Eddington
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
9.5' Dink
mhandley

I'd rethink that auto engine

Post by mhandley »

I'll second the earlier comments on using the auto engine.

You will need at the very least to put marine lifter springs in this motor.

The springs will be tuned (spring rate and spring constant) in marine applications for a constant rpm at whatever the optimal speed - whether its 2800, 2900, 3000, or whatever.

The automotive springs will be good at handling the full range of rpms which automotive engines find.

You may want also to find out if the automotive valve seats can take the steady 3000 rpm type pounding for hours on end.

These are the type items which are optimized for marine and generator use.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Valve seats the same , lifter springs ?? I assume you mean valve springs may or may not be the same But I would not worry about it , the main and most of the time the only difference is marine heads will have Valve rotators on the intake ( not always ) and the exhaust, in automotive world you find them on the exhaust only and some times not at all .

The average boater puts under 100 hours a year on their engines , wearing out valves won't a issue .

99% of valve issues on marine engine I have seen are stuck valves from lack of use or water . The only valve spring issues I have seen is braking spring because the engine ran too cold ( removed thermostat )

Burnt valves ? The only one I remember was a 318 , the hour meter broke at 4000 hours

In other words don't worry about it
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels