Let's Talk Batteries....and Hook Ups

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Let's Talk Batteries....and Hook Ups

Post by prowlersfish »

Guys you do know this a 4 year old thread and the OP no longer owns the boat ?

Diverdave . you may get better answers that pertain to your question if you start a new thread . Also more boat info would help what model and what engines and with or with out a genset .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

Perry do you know that this is a 4 year old thread :mrgreen:
Is that a problem? I swear I answered this question before..... At least it wasn't this same thread! My aged eyes and my small phone screen don't mix, and today, I picked up something that is not going to stay in Vegas, if you know what I mean....An autographed Clarence "Kelley" Johnson photo of him leaning on a U-2 that I got at Pawnstars (had to check that spelling twice).

By the way, the place has all the ambiance of a...pawnshop. End of thread creep.
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Perry , off topic . Did you have Chryslers before ? and now Chevy ? or am I getting old ?
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

prowlersfish wrote:Guys you do know this a 4 year old thread and the OP no longer owns the boat ?

Diverdave . you may get better answers that pertain to your question if you start a new thread . Also more boat info would help what model and what engines and with or with out a genset .
============================================================================

He actually completed the sale?

This was one UNIQUE project.

I would have loved to see what he would have done with the cabin & cockpit!

Is the new owner on this Forum?

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

http://www.solar-electric.com/deep-cycl ... 0Batteries

See the section on "deep cycle as starting batteries"
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

P-Dogg wrote:http://www.solar-electric.com/deep-cycl ... 0Batteries

See the section on "deep cycle as starting batteries"
I agree with most of what they say in the article, however they miss the mark by stating the following;

"...With modern engines with fuel injection and electronic ignition, it generally takes much less battery power to crank and start them, so raw cranking amps is less important than it used to be."

While it's true it generally takes less power to start the modern engine, in no way is raw cranking amps less important than it used to be. In fact, it's more important than ever! Computer run EFI systems do not like voltage drops while cranking. The lower the "raw cranking amps" the higher the risk of computer glitches. For this reason, Mercury for example has increased their minimum battery spec requirement to 800 CCA/1000 MCA from what used to be a lower requirement for big block and the upper end or small block engines. I'm sure other OEMs have as well. I will not install anything less than the above spec in any gasser now, EFI or not.

I also wouldn't agree with the opening statement in the "Marine..." paragraph above it. I think; "Marine batteries are usually a "hybrid", and fall between the starting and deep-cycle batteries," is too general a statement. It makes it sound like it's difficult to find a true deep cycle Marine battery. I disagree. Having said that, if you're paying $75 for a deep cycle battery, ya, it's unlikely to be a true deep cycle, you get what you pay for.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Oh Oh, the more I read, the more issues I have with some of the comments; "....Either buy them when you need them, or keep them on a continual trickle charge...." Totally disagree with the continual trickle charge suggestion.
P-Dogg
Active User

Post by P-Dogg »

http://www.trojanbattery.com/Tech-Suppo ... ction.aspx
Can I use my deep-cycle battery as a starting battery?
deep-cycle batteries can be used for engine starting but starting batteries should not be used for deep-cycle applications. A deep-cycle battery may have less cranking amps per pound than a starting battery, but in most cases a deep-cycle battery is still more than adequate for the purpose of starting an engine.
P-Dogg
Active User

Post by P-Dogg »

http://www.eastpenn-deka.com/assets/base/0149.pdf

Which Should I Choose?† (continued)
For light to moderate-duty low amp draw service, choose the
dual purpose battery, specially designed to handle both starting
and cycling.
For heavy-duty cycling, choose the deep cycle battery.
This will give you enough cranking amperage to start your
engine, and the most reserve power to keep your trolling motor
and accessories running longer. Use the following convenient
chart to help you select a battery type appropriate for your
specific situation.
P-Dogg
Active User

Post by P-Dogg »

http://bluewatermarinesvc.com/html/marine_battery.html

Can I use a deep cycle battery for a starting battery? Yes... that is if the battery meets the CCA(cold cranking amps) for your application. A deep cycle battery will not normally provide as many starts as a starting battery does though.
P-Dogg
Active User

Post by P-Dogg »

http://m.optimabatteries.com/faq/deep-cycle.html

What’s the difference between an OPTIMA® deep cycle and starter battery?

An OPTIMA deep cycle battery uses a different chemical for the active paste material on the plates, and a slightly stronger acid. This chemistry change allows for a much longer life in cycling applications with only a slight reduction in starting power.

Just sayin'.....
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I have found what BigD says to be very true on the new high tech engines , even slight low voltage ranking can cause some crazy issues .There has been a lot written on issues with newer outboards too on batteries . While cranking batteries make poor house batteries if cycled down a lot . I also have found over the years deep cycle really don't cut the mustard as well as cranking batteries when used for that purpose . Sure they work on our old boats ,I just like the right battery for the right job . With that said my cranking batteries are the house batteries . But my house loads are very low and batteries very large a few lights and anchor light is the only one that stays on . Plus I use the genset most the time . Now if I had high demands on the house battery it would be different . I would have a dedicated house battery and it would be deep cycle .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

P-Dogg wrote:http://bluewatermarinesvc.com/html/marine_battery.html

Can I use a deep cycle battery for a starting battery? Yes... that is if the battery meets the CCA(cold cranking amps) for your application. A deep cycle battery will not normally provide as many starts as a starting battery does though.
And a cranking battery will not give you as many deep cycles . Cranking batteries don't like to be deep cycled . And deep cycle batteries don't like high loads .

From your link
""Battery options? The best option in a boat is having a dual battery installation with a battery switch or isolator. This way a starting battery can be used for the engine and a deep cycle can be used for accessories. If there is not room for a dual battery installation the use of a high CCA battery with a large reserve capacity can be used. This can be a deep cycle or starting battery.""

That's what I am saying basically about the best option or you can compromise . Some times we have to compromise .

Most cruising sailboats have a large house bank and a dedicated engine cranking battery as do most trawlers .they don't like to compromise .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

P-Dogg wrote:http://m.optimabatteries.com/faq/deep-cycle.html

What’s the difference between an OPTIMA® deep cycle and starter battery?

An OPTIMA deep cycle battery uses a different chemical for the active paste material on the plates, and a slightly stronger acid. This chemistry change allows for a much longer life in cycling applications with only a slight reduction in starting power.

Just sayin'.....
PD, nowhere did I say I disagree with a deep cycle battery`s ability to start an engine. I don't dispute that deep cycle batteries can be used under certain circumstances as start batteries and still somewhat maintain their expected life span. What I do dispute are some of the points stated in the article as I mentioned above. The article is about batteries and their design characteristics which is great, I just disagree with some operational statements based on my Real World experience. Again, let me clearly say that under certain circumstances, deep cycle batteries are fine for starting an engine but one needs to consider everything and not just blindly install a deep cycle as a start battery. For example, and I believe the article mentions (and I agree) that when you do this, you must increase capacity. This is true, and for this reason I would not use anything less than a good true deep cycle 31 group battery for house loads if it`s meant to start a gasser also. As for `Dual Purpose` batteries, don`t even get me started on that :shock:
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Big D wrote:. As for `Dual Purpose` batteries, don`t even get me started on that :shock:
Marketing 101 :wink:
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels