GM vs Chrysler power-recommendations please help!

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

classicf25

GM vs Chrysler power-recommendations please help!

Post by classicf25 »

We have decided to go with a new remanufactured motor for our F25, not being very mechanically inclined we liked the idea of a warranty as well. We were considering replacing our 318 Chrysler with another one or possibly the Chrysler 360 for a little more performance. The problem is now a good marine mechanic friend of ours say's we should be putting in a GM 350 for ease of parts availability and superior performance. Is that true? We do not know the best option for this old girl and hope some members can steer us in the right direction. We would like a little more horsepower than the 318 but do not want to end up with a motor that has heavy fuel consumption. Is there such a reasonable solution? Also any recommendations on where to buy the motor would help... This is a huge decision that we are very unsure about so thanks to everyone in advance for any input. Since this is our first Trojan and we want to do the right thing this forum seems like the most qualified group of people we could ever ask... Thanks again!
Torcan
Moderate User

Post by Torcan »

Welcome aboard!!
There are a bunch of great guys (and the occasional gal) here, and I am sure one of them will be along to steer you in the right direction.
My guess is Prowlerfish (free plug) :) will have the answers your seeking.
1980 Trojan F 25 "MY TYME" (sold)
1986 Thundercraft Magnum 280 "The HAILEY-SAVANNAH"
http://www.cbyc.ca/
wowzer52
Active User

Post by wowzer52 »

Welcome, I have Fords and like them, BUT, if I were in the same boat as you, :D , and cost is always a factor, I would get GM 350ci, 270 hp, just for the reasons mentioned. A very common motor for a reason and if you want economy and dependability, in my opinion the chrysler 360 is NOT it....my 2 cents. Welcome aboard. There is lots of GOOD info here on this site. Find the search button and use it, you'll be impressed. And if you don't find what you want just ask. I don't want to brag too much cause I don't want the guys here to get stretchmarks on there heads. :D
1975 F-32 "SIMPLY BLESSED"
todd brinkerhoff
Moderate User

Post by todd brinkerhoff »

I like the Crusader Captains Choice 5.0 or 5.7. The 5.0 is 270 and the 5.7 is 330 hp. Latest technology with fuel injection, and Crusader makes a good marine motor. Or you could go through First Mate and get a nice refurbished motor with a 2 year warranty. I would definately stick with a GM based motor for the same reasons noted above.
1991 Trojan International 10.8 Meter Express hull# 003 - 454 Crusaders
1961 Century Raven 22 - Gray Marine 327

http://s1086.photobucket.com/home/Todd_ ... hoff/index
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Good points , But it may boil down to how much money you want to spend . If you chose to repower with the 318 or 360 you can get a remain long block and use your old bolt ons ,IF there OK . ( the 360 will need a new fly wheel and balancer )

If you when with the 350 you can't just buy a reman a stick it in , You will need all the bolt ons . parts like crab , starter manifolds risers ,mounts pumps water and fuel heat exchanger bell housing the list goes on and on .

So the best way to go with the Chevy is a new complete engine $$$$$ , and you have your choice of Merc , marine power , crusader etc .

Or you can try and find a good used engine not always easy as most are replace for a reason , most folks don't replace good engines .

And you thought you were confused before :shock:
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
vabeach1234
Moderate User

Post by vabeach1234 »

I agree with all the above. A GM Motor is the way to go if you plan on someone else servicing the engine. Most marine mechanics nowadays aren't familiar with Chrysler 318/360's and can't find parts. When I replaced my 318 with a reman long block 318 the final price tag was close to what a new GM motor would have cost. I reused my oil pan, distributer, and carb. I had the waterpump, starter and alternator all rebuilt at the time as well. I had a new intake manifold, exhaust manifold and a fresh water coooling put on the motor. The reason I went with a 318 again is because of clearence. I have a v-drive which makes the motor sit a little higher. Most GM motors are taller than the 318, especially the Vortecs and they wouldn't fit. If you have the room, which I think you do because you have a striaght inboard, I would recommend going with a GM motor.

Here are a few places that sell motors so you can see what kind of prices are out there.
http://www.michiganmotorz.com/
http://www.ebasicpower.com/engines/crusader/
Ken
1972 Trojan F26 Express
1985 Dell Quay Dory 13
Hampton, VA
http://s853.photobucket.com/user/vabeac ... ojan%20F26
jav
Moderate User

Post by jav »

Agree with most answers but will add that you should really think about 2 things-

1)How you plan to use the boat. Are you going to keep it long or short term? Are you using it 5 months a year or all year? Mostly a dock/anchoring platform or lots of cruising on plane? Mostly short or long stints- annual hours of run time? Frequent normal use or log periods of sitting?

2)Budget in light of above and desire for higher power. While I agree that a GM derived marine engine is a much better choice today than a Chrysler marine product, the up front costs of the changeover need to be considered. In addition to all the ancilliary components, you need to consider IF the boats infrastructure will support the new engine. Is the exhaust and water intake sufficient for the new engine? How about air intakes and floor heights?

In general- I believe more power is better in almost all cases... even fuel economy. The amount of fuel burned is less a function of total "available" horsepower, than it is of prop needed horsepower. In other words- if it takes 200 HP to push your boat along at 20 knots- your fuel consumption should be very similar regardless of if your taking that 200 HP out of a 225hp eninge or a 300 hp engine. This of course presumes both engines are of the same technology ie (gas, carburetor, elec ignition to the same or fuel inj, versus fuel inj, or turbo charged mechanical diesel versus turbo charged mechanical diesel).
jimbo36
Moderate User

Post by jimbo36 »

Todd, I think you may have the h.p. wrong on the Crusarers. I believe the 5.7 (350 cid) is 270 h.p. with 330 h.p. being the 7.4. (454 cid) I agree with the GM 350 upgrade. More expensve for the reasons mentioned but best in the long run. IMHO jimbo36.
todd brinkerhoff
Moderate User

Jimbo 36,

I am wrong, however, on the low side. The Crusader's Captain's Choice 5.0 is 275 HP, not 270. The Crusader Captains Choice 5.7 is 330 hp. Numbers are listed on the below website.

http://www.ebasicpower.com/engines/crusader/[url] Crusader does not carry a 7.4, or for ... ated fuel.[/url]

MattSC
Moderate User

Post by MattSC »

Todd is correct regarding the Captains Choice engines from Crusader. I have the 5.7 which is rated at 330hp at 5,000 rpm. Even though it has more power than the 318 it replaced, it is much more efficient. It does fit under the deck of my F-26, however I had to remove the black "Captains choice" plate which covers the flame arrestor. I would definitely take measurments to make sure. The dimmensions of the engines are on Crusaders website.

Do take into consideration how long you plan to keep your boat as it is a pretty expensive option, but it did make a huge difference from me and would do it again in a heartbeat. If clearance is an issue their 6.0 liter engine is not as tall as the 5.7
todd brinkerhoff
Moderate User

6.0L = 370 horsepower. You might feel a bit of difference on that one.

classicf25

How does this sound?

Post by classicf25 »

The cost of a complete brand new 350 motor is out of the question but it sure would be nice. However the stars are starting to align for our motor! Our marine mechanic has offered up any parts we want off a recent re power! He has 2 x 350 gm motors that came out of a chris craft. I am sure we can scavenge most of what we will need between the 2 motors. They looked good and complete with manifolds, risers, etc. He offered us one of the motors as well. Apparently one of the motors is good but we are still thinking about the reman option with warranty. Is it worth gambling on the used motor? Remember we are not overly mechanically inclined. Piece of mind may be worth the expense to us. We are a family of 5 with young children and we will be using the boat for island hopping and playing around in the gulf of mexico here in Florida. Any input is appreciated but we are probably going to start looking for a reman and get this project going asap... Thanks, everyone has been very helpful and I have a feeling I am going to be asking something else real soon. :lol:
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I would trust a good running take out more then a reman block ( a lot of remans are Junk IMO ) . Also rember Most engine issues are the bolt ons and not the base engine , so if you get a reman block you still have the used bolt ons so the chance of a break down is the same .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
jav
Moderate User

Post by jav »

So true on the remans. This season alone I know of 2 friends that each installed new marine reman engines and BOTH failed within hours of the first use. One of them is still running on the second reman, the other had the second reman fail again.

Good running take-outs (proven) can be a real bargain.
wowzer52
Active User

Post by wowzer52 »

Ditto on the take-outs being proven.
1975 F-32 "SIMPLY BLESSED"