Ignition upgrade

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

gumper
Sporadic User

Ignition upgrade

Post by gumper »

I have looked at the past posts on this subject but didn't find what I am looking for. The pages at the Pertronix site didn't answer everything either.

My points are worn out I was thinking of going to a pertronix Ignition Conversion . I was looking at there site and there is two choices #1 Flamethrower and #2 FlamethrowerII . Which one would anyone of you recommend?

If I went with the first one part # 1581 they have a matching coil which is either 1.5 ohms or 3 ohms. If I use one of these do I remove the ballast resistor from the circuit? I think I should get the 1.5ohm coil. Am I wrong.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

If the company that makes can't give you answer then I would deal with someone else . Support is everything . or you could just replace the points
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
gumper
Sporadic User

Post by gumper »

To be fair to pertronix. I did not contact them directly. I only read what was on there support pages. I sent them an email today and got back a reply saying they will have an answer within 48 hours.
vabeach1234
Moderate User

Post by vabeach1234 »

I tried two on my 318 and they both wouldn't advance so my max rpm was about 3000. Took it off and ran like it should up to 4000. I personally don't have faith in them for my application and would go with a whole new Mallory Distributer before trying another Pertronix kit.
Ken
1972 Trojan F26 Express
1985 Dell Quay Dory 13
Hampton, VA
http://s853.photobucket.com/user/vabeac ... ojan%20F26
wowzer52
Active User

Post by wowzer52 »

The points system in my boat have been working for 36 years. :D
1975 F-32 "SIMPLY BLESSED"
Paul
Active User

Post by Paul »

I've been running a Seirra Ignitor kit in my Mallory points type distributor for 6 years now with no problems.

see attached http://marineengineparts.com
Paul
"Cruise Control" 1978 F-26HT
"No Control" 2012 9' Grand RIB
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Typically these units require a full 12 volts to operate but you should confirm with the manufacturer. If you use your current coil that requires a ballast resister, you could connect the unit to the supply side of the resistor which will be 12 volts rather than the load side going to the coil. I've been running first generation units on my 440s for about 8 or 9 years now.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
gumper
Sporadic User

Post by gumper »

I know the points have system has lasted for over 41 years on the boat. With the price of fuel and the fact that I need to replace the wiring and coils due to normal maintenance. The difference in cost is very little . I am going to try it and keep the old parts for emergency backup.

I was talking to the support department and they recommend using a 1.5 ohm internal resistor coil and removing the ballast resistor.

I am curious those of you who have installed these units. Did you notice any differences? ie Power or fuel efficiency
g36
Moderate User

Post by g36 »

i installed these this year on both my 318 engines. same distributor either engine pulled the old installed the new. easypeasy. ballast resistor depends on the coil used

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MAA-YLM579AV/
1997 CARVER 405
"the BLACK PEARL"

past fleet
1978 F32 SEDAN CHRYSLER 318's

current fleet
1997 seadoo gts
1997 yamaha wave venture
1985 sunbird 18 ft runabout
1968 coronado sailboat 25 ft
sunfish
14' hobie cat
canoe
8ft portabote
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

There may be a theoretical or slight measurable difference in performance but for all intensive purposes, there is no noticeable difference that I can see, though the manufacturers of these claim otherwise. What I did notice right away was that the engines started up much faster, easier.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
gumper
Sporadic User

Post by gumper »

I went ahead and installed the electronic ignition on both engines this weekend. After talking to someone from Pertronix I installed two new coils as well and removed the ballast resistor from the circuit. My distributors were 42 years old and worn. Prior to the new ignition my timing marks would jump around when checking the timing. The timing marks are rock steady now. I have noticed a large difference in starting the engine and throttle response is much better.

So far I am very happy with the change over. I will be heading out next week for a couple of hundred km trip. It will be interesting to see any other improvements.