Source for fuel tanks

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Nancy
Moderate User

Source for fuel tanks

Post by Nancy »

We've got a 1978 F-32, and are chasing an engine problem that's looking more and more like a fuel problem. We may end up replacing the original 60-gal. tanks under the cockpit sole. (We also have the 50-gal. saddle tanks outboard of the engines, but we don't use them and wouldn't tackle those at this time.)

Is there a source for the same cylindrical tanks? (Ha! We should be so lucky.) If not, what's the community wisdom on replacement units?

I searched the forum for this info, but came up empty.

Thanks--
k9th
Ultimate User

Post by k9th »

I bought new tanks last year and posted the names of several manufacturers a while back.

Here is the thread.

http://www.trojanboats.net/wforum/viewt ... fuel+tanks
Tim

"SeaDog"
1979 36' Tri-Cabin
Nancy
Moderate User

Post by Nancy »

Tim, thanks for the link to the thread. Not sure how I missed that. :-/

I'd be interested to hear what fabricators other people have used and whether you've replicated the shape of the originals or done something different.
g36
Moderate User

Post by g36 »

i replaced mine this year with tanks from sptanks in new jersey. had them made exactly like my originals on my 78 f32. shipped to me and went in perfectly. very nice people.
give trojan a thumbs up on having the huge cockpit floor that lifted out to make this job a piece of cake. (at least for a f32)

http://www.sptanks.com/
1997 CARVER 405
"the BLACK PEARL"

past fleet
1978 F32 SEDAN CHRYSLER 318's

current fleet
1997 seadoo gts
1997 yamaha wave venture
1985 sunbird 18 ft runabout
1968 coronado sailboat 25 ft
sunfish
14' hobie cat
canoe
8ft portabote
BobCT
Active User

Post by BobCT »

god, I dread this day if/when it happens on my mid cabin. Both engines need to be removed and the cockpit floor needs to be cut out. And, one of Todd's old post said that some stringer work too in order to slide the tank out.

Galvanized aluminum is supposed to be good for a LONG time. The tank replacement posts seem to be mid to late 70's for the most part which is about 10 years older than my boat.

Bob
1988 10m mid cabin
TADTOOMUCH
Moderate User

New Tanks

Post by TADTOOMUCH »

G36

I have been looking for someone to make new tanks for my 78 F32. SP looks like they might be my answer. Can you tell me how much they were per tank?

I have been debating the issue for some time and I am not real keen on keeping 33 year old galvanized tanks much longer. I did inspect mine and they look ok inside but the uptake tube on one looks to be causing some issues and the fitting at the top is not allowing me to remove it without breaking something off.
Boat Name: A TAD TOO MUCH
Model: 1978 F-32 Sedan Cruiser
Engines: Twin Chry 360's 666 hrs original engines

2013 Mercury 300 Ocean Runner 9.9hp Merc 4 stroke
g36
Moderate User

Post by g36 »

i will give the info i used for mine. i only have the 2, 62 gallon cylinder tanks under the cockpit floor. 48 long 20 wide.( new actually is 65 gallons) i replaced with the same size tank so i did not have to do anything to the supports. i replaced my fuel fill and deck fills also. i had and extra fitting added in the port tank also and fitting on stbd tank for gen. i had upsized the aluminum for the tank after speaking with them to help the tank supports to properly support the tank when full. with some additions i added and misc stuff like their suggested bunk material . it may not be the same price for you. if you will call diane at sp or fill out their online form for a quote they will be happy to quote it for you. she is very helpful it took them apx 8 business days from my order to them emailing saying they are ready to ship

i was having issues with the crap i my tanks and also a fitting that had cracked on the fuel pickup.
when i did this. the inside had lots of rusted areas and when i took the tanks home after removing as much gas as i could i stood them up and it looked like someone had took a pail of sand and dumped it in each tank it was really amazing what came out. it makes me wonder how the filters werent sucking this up before i got stranded 2 times.

youll find it very easy to remove the tanks with the big hatch lifted off. and i even got the wife to paint the bilge while they were out. well i guess i did help with the painting too!
1997 CARVER 405
"the BLACK PEARL"

past fleet
1978 F32 SEDAN CHRYSLER 318's

current fleet
1997 seadoo gts
1997 yamaha wave venture
1985 sunbird 18 ft runabout
1968 coronado sailboat 25 ft
sunfish
14' hobie cat
canoe
8ft portabote
Nancy
Moderate User

Post by Nancy »

G36,

Good to hear about your experience. The reason we're not too afraid of this project is that we lifted the aft hatch last year to do some stringer repair. We did it after the boat had been shrink-wrapped for the winter (including a big zipper door). It wasn't difficult at all - we tied it off in front of the sliding glass door and still had limited access to the cabin.

LOL on the painting! My husband made noises about me doing it and then somehow he did it. My big contribution was the trip to the paint store. We were just admiring it yesterday! Sure looks good down there.
k9th
Ultimate User

Post by k9th »

SP was the place that made mine. They were exactly to my dimensional specs and very high quality. They fit like a glove in the boat & great peace of mind knowing they are there.
Tim

"SeaDog"
1979 36' Tri-Cabin
wowzer52
Active User

Post by wowzer52 »

Nobody has said how much. Is it one of those "if you have to ask, you can't afford it"?
1975 F-32 "SIMPLY BLESSED"
k9th
Ultimate User

Post by k9th »

Mine cost $800 each plus shipping.
Tim

"SeaDog"
1979 36' Tri-Cabin
Rich Schwochow

Fuel Tanks

Post by Rich Schwochow »

I have an F-32 /78 also. The original galvanized tanks will usually outlast
the life of the boat. The only thing to worry about is rust, inside or out. If you can inspect them on the inside with a light source and a mirror and they are O.K. Thankfully these tanks are uneffected by phase seperation, and the "Tree Huggers" version of planet saving Corn Gas. Remember that water is the only enemy. Also if your lines are all copper, as are mine there won't be any problem there either.
k9th
Ultimate User

Post by k9th »

Both of my galvanized tanks were in good shape but the filler neck had cracked, been repaired, and cracked again. I decided a second repair was not wise so replaced them.
Tim

"SeaDog"
1979 36' Tri-Cabin
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

30 yo galvanized tanks are on borrowed time IMO . There is a reason there not used any more . And they can not be used with Diesel fuel
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

prowlersfish wrote:30 yo galvanized tanks are on borrowed time IMO . There is a reason there not used any more . And they can not be used with Diesel fuel
No offense intended, but a lot of the times the reason things are made differently today is because it's cheaper, not better.