Crusader 454 oil/transmission line replacement

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

BobCT
Active User

Crusader 454 oil/transmission line replacement

Post by BobCT »

These are a ticking time bomb and I didn't want to wait until they blew. I replaced the transmission and oil cooler lines going to the "U" cooler and re-used the original fittings.

Got both engines done, a couple of thoughts while it's fresh on my mind.

1) 20' for both engines (trans and oil) is enough. You could get away with a few feet less for the transmission hose but no big deal. Aeroquip FC-332-10 for the oil lines and FC-332-08 for the transmission.

2) The oil lines were very easy and I did those on the boat, removed the fittings first by slicing through to the barb, removing the old hose and pressing on the old fittings. There are two long lines that run up to the oil cooler and one short one near the oil filter.

3) The transmission lines were MUCH harder. I had to bring those home, clamp in a vice and use a heat gun with a lot of force to get them on. No way you could do these on the boat. They get routed inside the fuel line, I made that mistake. On the top transmission fitting, connect the transmission end first before you connect to the oil cooler. Otherwise it'll be oriented the wrong way. I'm talking about the "easy one" on the trans. Once you get in there, there will be no mistaking the two :)

- The transmission lines were also a lot harder to remove/install. The lower connection to the transmission is really hard to get to and my boat has a 13' beam so access to everything else is usually pretty good. The other thing that's a pain are the two hose support clamps. I removed the one that connects to the front engine mount and painfully squeezed the hose/new fitting through the other one which I couldn't remove. The trans lines on the Stb engine were the worst in terms of access. There are two of these.

4) Keep track of where each line connects to on the oil cooler. You could easily mix-up the top/bottom connections. Make sure you support the oil cooler when tightening the fittings. You could easily break the fitting off the cooler, I slightly bent one of mine because I didn't have it tight enough while torquing the fitting.

My hoses were original at 23 years and hard as a rock. The transmission hose had a little more flex and might have lasted a little longer. The oil hose? Who knows? If you really don't want to proactively change them, at least order the hose and keep it on board. The oil lines could be done on the fly but you'll have a big mess and a hot engine to deal with. You'll also need to carry enough oil to replace what leaks.

The transmission lines... I think you're out of luck. I can't imagine trying to change those on the water. As mentioned, you need a vice and heat source in order to get the line over the barbs. In a pinch, you could probably get the hose 1/2 onto the fitting and throw a hose clamp on it.

Bob
1988 10m mid cabin
zedtwentyate
Moderate User

Re: Crusader 454 oil/transmission line replacement

Post by zedtwentyate »

Just bringing this thread back from the dead...

Great and helpful post Bob. I replaced two oil lines on my port motor. What a mess. It wasn’t too tough to do, other than wrench access on the shorter line coming from the bottom of the motor to the U cooler.

I ordered two of the hoses online, but when I do the other motor, I’ll have them made locally to save some cash.
Kegan

1986 Trojan F-27 (SOLD!!!)
1989 Trojan 10 Meter Mid Cabin
BobCT
Active User

Post by BobCT »

Don’t forget, those aeroquip fittings are reusable. I didn’t have to buy any fittings, just hose. Same with the fuel lines.
1988 10m mid cabin
zedtwentyate
Moderate User

Post by zedtwentyate »

@bob I actually had issues with the fittings themselves. They were leaking. Slow oil drip from where they connect to the U cooler. I have ignored it since putting the motors in after my rebuild...enough was enough!
Kegan

1986 Trojan F-27 (SOLD!!!)
1989 Trojan 10 Meter Mid Cabin
BobCT
Active User

Post by BobCT »

Yeah, I’m with you on that. I have a small oil leak on my port engine and I’m not pulling it out to fix it. It’s the rear main cap. Machine shop made the same mistake on both engines, I fixed one and thought the second was just residual oil. Nope, it’s a leak. Fortunately only when it’s running not when sitting so it won’t actually add up to much. But, def falls into the enough is enough category,
1988 10m mid cabin