Replacing AC/heat system

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Mike Kulp
Moderate User

Post by Mike Kulp »

It is a Mermaid M16CHP-T, I also upgraded the controls to the FX-1 which is a flush mount programmable thermostat that has a humidifier setting. Ordered it from Wholesale Marine $1580.00, $225.00 for upgrade on controls and free shipping. I will let you know how it fits next weekend maybe.
Mike 1986 10 Meter mid cabin
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

Thanks Mike. Good luck with the install!
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
1992 Scout 15.5 Center Console
Mike Kulp
Moderate User

Post by Mike Kulp »

I did not get the A/C unit yet but I installed all new hoses today. This is were the unit goes.
jhalb
Moderate User

Post by jhalb »

RWS wrote:By the way, in the 10 Meter express cruiser, all the hardware, blower motor, compressor, plumbing, condenser, evaporator and all hoses and all tubes, hoses and valves are located in the engine room and have access from same.

It's all on the back side of that bulkhead, easy access and this keeps everything very, very quiet.

The air filter is accessible from the cabin and all the ducts are actually built into both sides of the ceiling in a moulded in headliner.

Nice arrangement!

RWS
Filter? How do you access it?
John
"PELICAN"
1983 10 Meter Express
Mike Kulp
Moderate User

Post by Mike Kulp »

There is a panel that gets installed and in that panel is the air intake with a foam filter that can be accessed by removing the louvers, it is kind of a poor set up. Once I mount the new A/C unit I may redesign the filter set up.
BobCT
Active User

Post by BobCT »

Mike, why do you have a second AC pump near the intake seacock? Mine only has one...

I installed the same unit last year (12k which is the same size). You'll find that the intake on the Mermaid isn't going to match the factory grill which I never liked anyway just on looks.

I found a place online and had a teak grill make for about $120. It's really nice and was made to my exact size. They put a number on the back so I'm sure they can make them again. I need to enlarge the opening a little and might do that today. On the controls, I had to remount the regular controller into the panel just above the intake. Using the factory location, the AC kept cutting off because the vent is right above. I think the FX has a remote sensor which eliminates that. If not, you'll need it. That's how the Luneair was setup.

BTW, I didn't replace the raw water hose (5/8") but see that you are. How much is needed to go from the strainer--->pump---->A/C?

Bob
1988 10m mid cabin
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Mike looks like it'll be a nice install. For what it's worth and just an FYI here, with respect to the pump with the red plastic base (plastic right?); I have replaced many of those bases due to failure. The older ones were metal but plastic seems to be the norm now. When I go to install one now, I use the base to mark holes etc onto a piece of 3/4 inch starboard, through bolt the base to the unit, and toss the red base away.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
Mike Kulp
Moderate User

Post by Mike Kulp »

Thanks for the tip Big D, Bob the second pump with the red base that Big D mentioned is for a second 5000 btu A/C only unit I mounted under the step. I did this when my wife was having heat flashes real bad a couple of years ago. If I run both units wide open I can lower the temperature into the mid 40 degrees on a 95 degree day. I know that is a little overkill but the wife said she will not go boating unless she can stay cool. It also works great when you pull into a marina in the middle of summer I can cool the boat in about 10 minutes.
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

WOW! Your an awesome husband!! I just tell my wife to take a short walk off the swim platform! I still have no idea why I haven't won the "Husband of the Year" award yet?
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
1992 Scout 15.5 Center Console
jhalb
Moderate User

Post by jhalb »

Mike Kulp wrote:There is a panel that gets installed and in that panel is the air intake with a foam filter that can be accessed by removing the louvers, it is kind of a poor set up. Once I mount the new A/C unit I may redesign the filter set up.
Found it and it looked like it's been years sence it's been cheaned. Thanks for the heads up.
John
"PELICAN"
1983 10 Meter Express
Mike Kulp
Moderate User

Post by Mike Kulp »

Okay everybody I finally have the A/C system installed and have some pictures. First is a few to show the difference between the new and old units they are close to the same dimensions but everything is a little different as far as intake and exhaust.

Pictures of unit in its new home.

The control box on this unit is external and I mounted it in the only place it fit.

The new duct's before and after.

Everything installed.

New controls that did not fit original hole.

The job is finished now but it did take a lot of time, I had to relocate wires, hoses, controls, just about everything in that compartment was relocated. The air intake I did not relocate yet that will be a winter project as of right now it pulls some air out of the cabinet it is in which is not ideal but the wife told me to clean up the boat and quit taking things apart till next winter. I will up date on the cooling ability when it gets hot, all in all I am happy with the install.

This was in the shop when I was taking pictures.

If you like looking at pictures of old cars, street rods check I my company website.
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

looks really good! they deff found a way to make your system smaller, old one looks huge compared to the new.... I love that snap-on tool! I eliminated half of my tool box for sure with it, batteries arnt worth 2 craps tho!! :cry:
Allen Sr
Active User

Post by Allen Sr »

Nice job Mike! 8) Was Kathy waxing the outside while you took care of her 'comfort zone'? When do you go in the water? There's a tri cabin waiting on you! :lol:
Growing old is inevitable,but growing up is optional
1984 F36 w/350 Crusaders 'Reel Class'
2011 Trojan Rendevous
Solomons Get Together 2011
Ocean City 2012,2013,2015
Mike Kulp
Moderate User

Post by Mike Kulp »

Hey Jeff That Snap On screw gun is my go to tool, I just love the thing. I always have to track it down because all my Tech's like it to, I also have the 3/8" gun that takes the same battery its okay but I do not know if I will replace it if it breaks. Allen I am in the water already went in friday the 13 and Cathy was running her orbital buffer, she puts the wax on and I take it off with the big buffer, there has been a few guy's that have snaped a picture of her with the buffer to show there wife's.
Allen Sr
Active User

Post by Allen Sr »

Mike Kulp wrote:Hey Jeff That Snap On screw gun is my go to tool, I just love the thing. I always have to track it down because all my Tech's like it to, I also have the 3/8" gun that takes the same battery its okay but I do not know if I will replace it if it breaks. Allen I am in the water already went in friday the 13 and Cathy was running her orbital buffer, she puts the wax on and I take it off with the big buffer, there has been a few guy's that have snaped a picture of her with the buffer to show there wife's.
UH-OH!!!!!!!!! :roll: Sounds like you might have some PO'd wives headed your way!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Thats ok my wife and daughter did my hull this year! :wink:
Growing old is inevitable,but growing up is optional
1984 F36 w/350 Crusaders 'Reel Class'
2011 Trojan Rendevous
Solomons Get Together 2011
Ocean City 2012,2013,2015