F36 Electrical question

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Amazing how much power we use these days. I remember the first house my mother bought in early 70's. It was a huge century home with only 60 amp service which was the norm back then, and didn't pose a problem. Mind you, it was gas stove etc. Now we're requiring that much on a boat. Boy have things changed!
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
mitch
Sporadic User

Post by mitch »

Big D wrote:Amazing how much power we use these days. I remember the first house my mother bought in early 70's. It was a huge century home with only 60 amp service which was the norm back then, and didn't pose a problem. Mind you, it was gas stove etc. Now we're requiring that much on a boat. Boy have things changed!
YES !

1. 43 inch Samsung HDTV
2. 32 inch Samsung HDTV
3. 18 inch Samsung HDTV
4. Dishwasher
5. 20 feet rope light
6. Ice maker
7. 200 Watt stereo
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

You forgot the extra beer fridge!!

I don't recall the numbers but I read once about the amount of power we use even when everything is shut off. Think of all the items that are on stanby; TVs etc so they fire up right away, and all those items plugged in that use transformers plugged into the wall, timers, digital displays, memory, always using power. I was surprised at the numbers.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
mitch
Sporadic User

Post by mitch »

Big D wrote:You forgot the extra beer fridge!!

I don't recall the numbers but I read once about the amount of power we use even when everything is shut off. Think of all the items that are on stanby; TVs etc so they fire up right away, and all those items plugged in that use transformers plugged into the wall, timers, digital displays, memory, always using power. I was surprised at the numbers.

"You forgot the extra beer fridge!!"

Stopped drinking at age 55, stopped Skoal at age 60, Boating never !!
Vitaliy
Moderate User

Post by Vitaliy »

lol no i didn't forget a beer fridge i actually have a special fridge on the back right underneath the aft entrance (under the stairs) that first just right and holds my beer, but yes i do agree that 30 amps isn't enough at all.

46 inch hdtv in saloon
32 inch hdtv in stateroom
microwave
stove
ac/heating
xbox
wii
ps3
laptop
2 fridges
rope lights around the stern

and probably forgetting something else lol.... so im seriously going to rewire it so that the actual outlets run off the STBD side and the rest of the built in amenities run of the PORT
mitch
Sporadic User

Post by mitch »

Yes, need more power, only seen one dock shore power with 2 (50 amp) service.
Vitaliy
Moderate User

Post by Vitaliy »

well getting twin 50's isn't a problem as there are several pedestals near me that aren't used however still doesn't change the fact that the boat can only take twin 30's and i personally think having twin 50's on a 36 is a tad to much
reelfishin
Moderate User

Post by reelfishin »

First think I would do is go to Harbor Frieght and buy thier amproble. They have one for around 10 dollars(when on sale) It is a digital one and works pretty darn good. I use it and I like it. That way you can amp each circuit and see what is going on. You can also amp each appliance and get a actually amp usage. That way you can balance the panel or circuits.
Fishing Chesapeake Bay and Off Shore Virginia.
1988 11 meter Trojan International 450 HP 671TI Detroit Diesels
Vitaliy
Moderate User

Post by Vitaliy »

hmm great idea imana look into that

and i finally got a chance to take a few pics of the panel

any ideas?

reelfishin
Moderate User

Post by reelfishin »

By reading the label I see that you have two 30 amp circuits. If that is true then I think all you have to do is balance the load on the panel that your generator feeds. That is where the Amp probe comes in to play or you can read the watts etc on the appliance and calculate it. I think you might find that someone has tied two circuits under one breaker. Not a good idea. Amp the circuit that is tripping and make sure that you do not have a weak breaker or bad breaker. I have seen breakers trip at a lower rate than they say they are rated for.
Now one should not load a breaker up to it's maximum. I think you will find that you should load it about 80 percent. A 15 amp breaker should be loaded to 12 amps or lower.
One other thing to remember too is a motor will draw up to 800 percent of its rated amps for a split second. That split second is enough to trip a breaker if it is not rated to handle it. Most breakers will handle it.
That is why with a motor you always install a slow blow fuse instead of a instantaneous fuse when a fuse is required. Pumps etc are not normally put on Ground Fault circuit breaker because it will trip them when it starts.
Airconditioning units too. etc.
Fishing Chesapeake Bay and Off Shore Virginia.
1988 11 meter Trojan International 450 HP 671TI Detroit Diesels