Is it OK to replace one of my Gen.5 454 with a Gen.6 motor?

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Unchained
Sporadic User

Post by Unchained »

I didn't have computer access the last day or so. Bob, in answer to your question, I bought the boat early last year and had no information on the engines hours or past maintenance records. It was purchased from an estate sale a few years back and was only used a handful of times by the person I bought it from. All I know is that the engines were replaced at some point from Gen. 4 to Gen. 5 blocks with the large rectangular port heads, aluminum intake manifolds (Winters #6269318, 1972 Vintage?) and Holley 850CFM double-pumpers. I was aware of the lifter noise in the starboard engine when I purchased it. I changed the oil in the engines when I got the boat and ran Valvoline racing oil along with a zinc additive from Risoline. I only ran the boat three times and not very hard before I decided to take the manifold off and investigate. The lifter on the wiped cam lobe was damaged pretty bad, like someone had smashed it with a hammer. It was about 1/8" shorter than the rest of the lifters. There was also one bent pushrod on a different cylinder. Thanks, Mike
1987 10 Meter Mid-Cabin
Twin Crusader FWC 454's
1995 390 express
Sporadic User

Post by 1995 390 express »

hi unchained i just replaced 2 454 crusaders in 1995 boat with a gen 5 and a gen 6. the reason why is that the gen 6 was a brand new factory long block and just needed a few bolt ons from old engine. i could only get a remanufactured short block gen 5 right hand rotation for the starboard side. i was assured they produce the same H P @320 horse. one is roller rocker and the other is flat tappet. the only differance in the the 2 engines i have found is the bolt pattern on the gen 6 is different on the timing chain cover. also i would reccomend using the stock oil pans if you go with a long block. the pan that came already installed was good quality but had a standard car dip stick tube inlet that just pushed in. lousy set up for a boat. good luck
rossjo
Ultimate User

Post by rossjo »

prowlersfish wrote:I have replace many cam shafts and never had a issue with the lower end ( rods and mains )
Ditto here - on my Corvette. No problem, and you can upgrade components in the process. You'll end up with 2 very nice, reliable engines for far less than the new Gen 6 (and won't have one old Gen5 with an old cam in it).

And yes - Zinc is good for flat tappet iron cams and lifters. I run Mercury 25w40 oil in my 454 boat and Rotella-T 15W40 (high in ZDDP = zinc) in all 4 of my diesels. Modern oils do NOT have ZDDP/zinc as newer engines use rollers - and may be why you toasted a cam.
Last edited by rossjo on Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17
mitch
Sporadic User

Post by mitch »

Well Mike, when do you think, you will have your boat back in the water and running?
Unchained
Sporadic User

Post by Unchained »

Thanks for all of your responses. I knew there would be someone out there who has been through the same thing. I have a little time to decide being in Illinois where the season doesn't start until the end of April but it will be here before you know it. It's 18 degrees right now. Hey Mitch, I tried to contact the guy with the two 454's for sale to find out if they are marine engines and if one is an RH (reverse rotation), but have no response yet. That was a nice find I didn't notice those. Thanks, Mike.
1987 10 Meter Mid-Cabin
Twin Crusader FWC 454's