1987 10 meter mid cabin complete restoration.

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

yorklyn
Active User

Re: 1987 10 meter mid cabin complete restoration.

Post by yorklyn »

Thanks! I believe your correct. I think where I went wrong was basing my fuse size according to the blue seas fuse selection chart which protects the wire from a constant amp draw. since the starter has a large amp draw for a very short duration i dont believe the chart is accurate. I essentially want to prevent a fire due to a dead short.
I think I will try putting an amp meter on the wire while cranking the engine over to try to get a better idea of the amp draw (havent been able to find it written anywhere).
I plan on calling blue sea systems as well to get their suggestions.
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
1992 Scout 15.5 Center Console
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Post by mikeandanne »

Todd, that is why I asked about the fuse size before, you can pull 300 amps plus on a cccold start on a big block.....I think originally on the start circuits they are fused on the other side of the start solenoid that does not see the start amps.Glad to see you found it, good you didn't tear it all apart, that is some fancy stuff you have there, far beyond me, I am still trying to figure out how to wire in two 6 volts on the house side......Mike
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

Oh no, I tore through every last wire that was previously in a nice, neat organized wire loom. still need to secure every wire again!

look at the bottom of this page to see how to wire your six volts. its pretty straight forward once you get over the uncomfortable feeling of connecting a positive terminal to a negative one! Lol
http://www.trojanbattery.com/tech-suppo ... formation/
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
gardnersf
Moderate User

Post by gardnersf »

Todd, I have been following your thread for years. You have persevered beyond what many of us would have done. I'm excited for you to see it this close. We have all learned a lot observing your work.
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

Thank You very much!
I'm frustrated right now. I got most of the big stuff done but I have a lot of small stuff that seems never ending! I am 2 months past my optimistic launch date and still not ready. I did get both engines started and ran them each for 15 minutes at 2000 rpm. I had a pinhole leak in one of the elbows on the starboard heat exchanger (which I paid to have cleaned and pressure tested!)
Since my shop was not flooded after receiving over 4 inches of rain last night (thank you Lord!) I was able to remove the heat exchanger and will most likely just fix it myself until I can save the money for a new one.
with the heat exchanger removed once again I took opportunity to align the engine to a closer tolerance than i initially did. much better access without it on.
I just received my new transducer. I went with a airmar B150 chip transducer with a 12 degree tilted element to adjust to the deadrise (13 degrees at the mounting location)
I also just got a set of led spreader lights to mount on the radar arch . will post pics once i get them installed. got them new from a guy on "the hull truth" , two for $58 which included shipping. hooked one up in my garage to a spare battery it it was pretty darn bright!
Between work and kids its getting almost impossible to find time to finish the dam thing up, at this rate it will be ready to go in the same week I have to winterize it! LOL
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
rickalan35
Moderate User

Post by rickalan35 »

There are no doubt many here like me, who wish they could be present to see her splash down.

Predicted targets are rarely met, but eventually occur.

This real time topic has become a fantastic, pictoral text book for everyone's boat restoration.

Sure been fun following along.
Trojan 1994 370 Express, 502 Bluewaters
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

Its kinda like we've all been involved with the project to the extent that we have shared in the discussion.

I would love to be there to see the champagne bottle smacked against the hull.

Perhaps like this :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVL4wKnpx2U

sure hope no one scratches an anchor!

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
RobertV

Post by RobertV »

Todd,
Having done a complete interior gut job myself on our Silverton 34x back in 2007 I have a great appreciation for all of the man hours you've put into this!
As many have said you have done fantastic work on a fine boat that I'm sure will treat you well and you can be very proud of for many years to come.
Wish you were closer as I'd offer to help with the finishing touches.
Looking forward to seeing the video of her first splash.
Cheers Robert
Previous 87 Silverton 34X
Current 86 Ski Nautique
Wishing for Trojan Express w/ diesels
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

Thanks guys! I cant tell you how much everyones support has helped me. My non -boating friends and family think that I've lost my mind putting as much time and money into her as i have. I am a contractor in "real life" and am very familiar bidding various different types of projects with regards to time and material. I am constantly amazed at the amount of time and money it takes to do seemingly simple boating projects correctly!
You guys have all been a huge help in this project and I cant thank you enough! I will be sure to document the launch well (if it ever happens!!LOL)
At some point I'm going to attempt to organize the 94 pages of pictures on photobucket (yes 94!!!!!!) into a helpful format for anyone working on a similar boat.
Here's a link to my main photo album in case anyone needs a good laugh!
http://s247.photobucket.com/user/Yorkly ... 0rot/story
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

Drilled hole to install new Airmar B150 transducer. with the glass I added the hull is about 3/4 inch thick under the aft cabin seats! made a backing plate out of 3/4 fiberglass sheet and got it installed.
Finally got the dash screwed back together. still need to do some touch up on the paint where I taped it off too far.
Got the lowrance Ipod dock installed. used it to fill the hole from the old trim tab switch.
finished the trim ring for the skylite in the head
installed new gaskets and screens in the four port windows. of course in typical "Murphy's Law" fashion i broke the weld on one of the "dogs" that you screw in to secure the window! now I need to tear the port back out and have it welded!

Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

Spent countless hours aligning the engines. that has been the absolute biggest PITA of this entire project! they are dead on now and luckily I get to do it a second time after shes in the water.
Got the last of the wiring secure and covers back on the wire chases. all hoses are on but still need to double clamp a few.
paid a guy to install the carpet for me. interior is just about done other then the doors which can wait for now since they are over $500 for the new ones!
finally got the back deck cleared off, well kinda clear at least!

Called about a slip today! may try to get in by july 4th. Will keep ya posted

Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
rickalan35
Moderate User

Post by rickalan35 »

Like I said recently, hopefully there will be a video and lots of photos of this puppy splashing down and perhaps some kind of online champagne party. "Asked about a slip!" - the end is in sight. I have a friend who restores MG's. His saying is, "Yeah, but my restorations actually get wet."..meaning that he finishes them. I always thought it was a great line even though he uses it in a non-boating sense - because it means he finishes what he starts, unlike a lot of us I suppose. Murphys Law probably hasn't totally surrendered yet, but what's a few more hiccups in the big scheme of things.
Trojan 1994 370 Express, 502 Bluewaters
Nancy
Moderate User

Post by Nancy »

A slip? Really? This is getting very exciting! Everything looks beautiful. Can't wait till you splash!

Nancy
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

I like that quote! may have to borrow it!
Thanks for all the support everyone!
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

Well we had a job scheduled for today but the material that was supposed to be delivered to the shop by 9am didnt show up until 3pm.
took the opportunity to "customize" the wet bar. Buffed the old nasty sink back to an acceptable finish and added a new faucet . when I replaced all the plumbing I ran cold and hot water to the wet bar. I added a gfci outlet in a exterior waterproof box and mounted it inside the storage box. it plugs into a waterproof outlet that was originally for the old ice maker. added a courtesy light that will illuminate the helm step. its wired into the other cockpit lights with quick disconnect terminals so the wet bar can be removed. Reusing the old teak for now due to money and time constraints. I was thinking of trying to give it a more modern look but thats on the back burner for now.

Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea