Important ???? I need to make this phone call....rotation

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

jefflaw35

Important ???? I need to make this phone call....rotation

Post by jefflaw35 »

my engine is deffinatly clockwise rotation. can it be replaced with a rev rotation long block. probly a dumb ??? im thing not .. I dont really have alot of time to study it. and i dont want to keep this nice guy waiting on me
1995 390 express
Sporadic User

Post by 1995 390 express »

hi jeff as far as i learned this year it cant be done due the fact that on a reverse rotation engine the crank spins the opposite way -so anything running off if like your transmission will also spin backwards and not engage.i'm sure you'll get more and better imput shortly goodluck
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

1995 390 express wrote:hi jeff as far as i learned this year it cant be done due the fact that on a reverse rotation engine the crank spins the opposite way -so anything running off if like your transmission will also spin backwards and not engage.i'm sure you'll get more and better imput shortly goodluck
thanks buddy, good enuf for me
Paul
Active User

Post by Paul »

Jeff, a reverse rotation engine is clockwise. This is means if your looking at the back of the engine the flywheel rotates clockwise or RH.
Paul
"Cruise Control" 1978 F-26HT
"No Control" 2012 9' Grand RIB
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

But I can't turn my motor it's locked up bad or I'm not strong enuf to free it
foofer b
Ultimate User

Post by foofer b »

Don you have a prop still attached to your hull? If so, Which way does it look like it should spin( as looking at it from the stern)?
MY CURRENT FLEET
2003 KEY WEST 2020 WA
1978 14' ASHCRAFT SKIFF
rbcool
Active User

Post by rbcool »

foofer b wrote:Don you have a prop still attached to your hull? If so, Which way does it look like it should spin( as looking at it from the stern)?
good 1

Ron 8)
When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat.
Ronald Reagan
1987 F36 Tri-Cabin
Twin 270 Crusaders
"Special K"
Upper Bay, Chesapeake Bay

http://www.photobucket.com/albums/ff424/rbcool/
1995 390 express
Sporadic User

jeff may i suggest if the engine is junk or needs rebuilding then remove anything from the front of the engine like water pump - pulleys - harmonic balancer ect. ps you ll need a puller for that part - then remove timing chain cover and on gm anyways a timing chain will mean standard rotation and reverse rotation has 2 gears one on the crank and 1 on the cam that mesh together with no chain
1995 390 express
Sporadic User

or easy still remove your starter and bench test it see which way it spins and depending on what way it is mounted to the bell housing that means facing the rear of the engine or the front you can tell what way it will spin the fly wheel and the crankshaft or bring it to a starter rebuilder and they can tell you what it is
summer storm
Moderate User

Post by summer storm »

Jeff, can you post a pic of your prop on the shaft.
Doug

1977 F-32
1982 Chris Craft 280
1992 Boston Whaler 13 Super Sport Limited
1974 F-25 (Sold)
1979 F-26 (sold)
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

yes im going to post a couple pics in about an hour, sorry guys im so confused now that i may have to get someone to come over and look. numbers on motor are unreadable, and i just dont understand somethings yall say.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Engine rotation can be very confusing for sure .

Are you looking at a long block or a complete used engine ?
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

its used, but its basically a long block, maybe with a few parts thrown in for 200$ plus shipping it. i dont mind rebuilding it. even if i can rebuild mine and have 2 long blocks. hell for 400$ its a good idea. but its a rh rev. if i didnt have so many ideas trown at me at once and it was warm out, this conversation would be over already LOL. Im really trying to learn the talk, but i feel to stupid to ask if someone says " when your looking at the motor from the stern" well hell, does that mean standing off and behind my boat looking forward, or on the boat, back turned to the helm and looking down? feel like an idiot. to my understanding the aft, stern and transom is all the same area to me, all i know is motor in the boat is locked, pulled out maybei can free it up. this guys needs to dump this motor and if i can use it well then its good for both of us. i just feel stupid cuase i havent learnd the talk yet, owning a 19 foot ski boat for 5 years is easy. baby grab that towel off the back. no my mt dew is up front LOL
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

As long as the new motor comes with a starter you can use it even if its the opposite rotation . you will need to the opposite rotation prop . And you will need to rotate the trans pump 180 deg . ( asuming you have a BW velvet drive )
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

yea see thats what ive been resurching. i dont want to change alot that i can just rebuild. i may as well drop a chevy 350 in there. i want this to be a trojan. even tho i was thinking i didnt want teak wood, we have changed our minds. we want to keep a real good boat a real good boat. but the black hull is gonna happen no matter what LOL