Trojan book, lots of help is needed

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Boatbuilder

Post by Boatbuilder »

Congratulations with your success in running your boat in Alaska for 22 years!

During the late 80's and early 90's Trojan sold boats through its Dealers outside of North America in Australia, Hong Kong, Japan, Panama, Puerto Rico, France, Italy, Switzerland and Kuwait among other countries.

Charlie
DAVIDLOFLAND
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by DAVIDLOFLAND »

Boatbuilder wrote:Congratulations with your success in running your boat in Alaska for 22 years!

During the late 80's and early 90's Trojan sold boats through its Dealers outside of North America in Australia, Hong Kong, Japan, Panama, Puerto Rico, France, Italy, Switzerland and Kuwait among other countries.

Charlie
Wow. I did not know that. Be interesting to see them abroad.
1977 F-32 INSTANT FUN "Just Add Water"
My Forever boat - O/O 30 years and counting
Yanmar 6BY3-260's
summer storm
Moderate User

Re: Trojan History

Post by summer storm »

Boatbuilder wrote:Doug

I was in senior managment at Trojan from 1980 until 1992 and worked with Ron Pickle and the others on our team. If you are writing a book about the company's history I would be interested in assisting you including providing you with a few names of others who could contribute. Let me know if you would like my help.

A few years ago I contributed information and photos to the author who wrote the history of a boat builder that I was associated with in the 1960's. That book, "Building Kettenburg's" was published jointly by the San Diego Maritme Museum and The Mystic Seaport Maritime Museum.

Charlie
That's great, thanks Charlie. Currently I am still gathering information for the history part of the book and it sounds like you could be a big help :D :D :D The guys over at the power boat guide really stepped up to the plate with specs, model info, and time lines but I hit a dead end with the history part of the company. Ron's family was really up on this book and said that they can provide a lot of information to help out but it never really happened, life gets in the way sometimes.

Thanks again Charlie, I'll be in touch.

And to everyone else, I can really use any factory production photos that are out there, it could be photos of the production floor, the buildings, the workers, offices, and or dealer photos.

By the way, I know that after the saudis bought most of Bertram-Trojan the president of Bertram moved up to CEO of Bertram-Trojan - and they brought in a new President for Bertram, is that correct? and who was the President of Trojan at that time, and did he stay?

thanks
Doug

1977 F-32
1982 Chris Craft 280
1992 Boston Whaler 13 Super Sport Limited
1974 F-25 (Sold)
1979 F-26 (sold)
todd brinkerhoff
Moderate User

Post by todd brinkerhoff »

Boatbuilder wrote:Congratulations with your success in running your boat in Alaska for 22 years!

Charlie
Hey Charlie,

Do you have any recollection of the newly designed Trojan 10.8 Meter Express that was produced in 1990 and 1991? There is not much known about it and I'm looking to see if anyone has any additional knowledge. I can provide what I have to date for the book. I've talked to the owner of the diesel version in Florida also, so I can provide info on both platforms.

Todd
1991 Trojan International 10.8 Meter Express hull# 003 - 454 Crusaders
1961 Century Raven 22 - Gray Marine 327

http://s1086.photobucket.com/home/Todd_ ... hoff/index
Wes
Moderate User

1983 10 meter

Post by Wes »

What a great project. Would you like pictures of the first flybridge/aft cabin 10 meter built? It was built for the 1983 NYC boat show from what I've been told.
summer storm
Moderate User

Re: 1983 10 meter

Post by summer storm »

Wes wrote:What a great project. Would you like pictures of the first flybridge/aft cabin 10 meter built? It was built for the 1983 NYC boat show from what I've been told.
YES !!! I haven't got to the meter boats yet but please send it and I'll put it in. my email is trojanbook@bellsouth.net. Also let me know your info and I'll credit you for photo.

Currently is is all that I have (profile) for the 10m flybridge boats
Doug

1977 F-32
1982 Chris Craft 280
1992 Boston Whaler 13 Super Sport Limited
1974 F-25 (Sold)
1979 F-26 (sold)
Boatbuilder

Re: Trojan History

Post by Boatbuilder »

summer storm wrote:
Boatbuilder wrote:Doug

I was in senior managment at Trojan from 1980 until 1992 and worked with Ron Pickle and the others on our team. If you are writing a book about the company's history I would be interested in assisting you including providing you with a few names of others who could contribute. Let me know if you would like my help.

A few years ago I contributed information and photos to the author who wrote the history of a boat builder that I was associated with in the 1960's. That book, "Building Kettenburg's" was published jointly by the San Diego Maritme Museum and The Mystic Seaport Maritime Museum.

Charlie
That's great, thanks Charlie. Currently I am still gathering information for the history part of the book and it sounds like you could be a big help :D :D :D The guys over at the power boat guide really stepped up to the plate with specs, model info, and time lines but I hit a dead end with the history part of the company. Ron's family was really up on this book and said that they can provide a lot of information to help out but it never really happened, life gets in the way sometimes.

Thanks again Charlie, I'll be in touch.

And to everyone else, I can really use any factory production photos that are out there, it could be photos of the production floor, the buildings, the workers, offices, and or dealer photos.

By the way, I know that after the saudis bought most of Bertram-Trojan the president of Bertram moved up to CEO of Bertram-Trojan - and they brought in a new President for Bertram, is that correct? and who was the President of Trojan at that time, and did he stay?

thanks
Doug

Investcorp, an Arabian investment bank, purchased Bertram-Trojan, Inc. sometime in 1984. Bob Smith, who was CFO of the Whittaker Marine Group, temporarily held the position of President of Trojan Yacht after Don Seith departed the company. After the sale to Investcorp Bob was subsequetly promoted to President of Bertram-Trojan Inc. Chuck Younger was then hired as President of Trojan and held the the position until January 1986. I was asked to manage the company and remained as President of Trojan until 1992 when the assets of the company were acquired by Irwin Jacobs of Genmar for Carver Boat Company. About a year after Investcoprp purchased BTI Pat Cunningham, who was then President of Bertram Yacht, left Bertram to start another company for Genmar.

Charlie
Boatbuilder

Post by Boatbuilder »

todd brinkerhoff wrote:

Charlie
Hey Charlie,

Do you have any recollection of the newly designed Trojan 10.8 Meter Express that was produced in 1990 and 1991? There is not much known about it and I'm looking to see if anyone has any additional knowledge. I can provide what I have to date for the book. I've talked to the owner of the diesel version in Florida also, so I can provide info on both platforms.

Todd
Todd

The 10.8 Meter Express was designed by Fulvio De Simoni, a highly regarded Italian Naval Architect who has designed all of the Pershing Yachts over the years. Lee Dana, who was VP of Engineering for Bertram Yacht at the time, designed the deep V hull for the 10.8 Meter. The 10.8 Meter was then developed by the Trojan Engineering and Product Development Team. This was the only exisiting Trojan model that Carver put into production (with extensive changes) after they acquired the assets of the company.

Charlie

Charlie
LLCD

Post by LLCD »

It is really cool to see here in the forum one of the guys who managed the company during the time my boat was built. :D

I wasn't even born then, but I truly appreciate the work that you guys put into the products.

I do wish the trojan brand had never gone away...

I am really looking forward to this book. I want to know what really happen to the Trojan Brand.
LEO. C
1986 F27 EXPRESS
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

Boatbuilder wrote:Lee Dana, who was VP of Engineering for Bertram Yacht at the time, designed the deep V hull for the 10.8 Meter. The 10.8 Meter was then developed by the Trojan Engineering and Product Development Team. This was the only exisiting Trojan model that Carver put into production (with extensive changes) after they acquired the assets of the company.

Charlie

Charlie
I thought that Harry Schoell's Delta Conic hull was used on all of the International series boats? Actually doing a quick google search, I see other claims that David Napier designed the 10.8... so who was it?
Boatbuilder

Post by Boatbuilder »

Harry Schoell was not at all involved in the design of the 10.8 Meter Express, which was the last of the International Series developed at Trojan Yachts in Lancaster, PA.

David Napier, who reported to Lee Dana at Bertram, did not design the 10.8 Meter hull or any other Trojan hull. The 10.8 Meter hull was designed exclusively by Lee Dana who was Bertram's VP of Engineering.

Charlie
todd brinkerhoff
Moderate User

Post by todd brinkerhoff »

Boatbuilder wrote:Harry Schoell was not at all involved in the design of the 10.8 Meter Express, which was the last of the International Series developed at Trojan Yachts in Lancaster, PA.

David Napier, who reported to Lee Dana at Bertram, did not design the 10.8 Meter hull or any other Trojan hull. The 10.8 Meter hull was designed exclusively by Lee Dana who was Bertram's VP of Engineering.

Charlie
The Dave Napier reference came from me after talking to John Leed. So now I have more questions than answers on the 10.8 Express. I didn't want to hijack this post with the 10.8, but I have a bunch of questions now on the new International, including reason for the change, any manufacturing differences, the future if things didn't go south, why a hull change, especially a deep v, what did Carver change, etc.

Charlie, would you mind if I pm'd you my phone number, or could I call you. Obviously I'm fascinated with this rare vessel, and would love to see a nice write up on it in this endeavor.

Thanks,
Todd
1991 Trojan International 10.8 Meter Express hull# 003 - 454 Crusaders
1961 Century Raven 22 - Gray Marine 327

http://s1086.photobucket.com/home/Todd_ ... hoff/index
Boatbuilder

Post by Boatbuilder »

Send my your telephone number and I will call you.