aluminum radar arch

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

1995 390 express
Sporadic User

aluminum radar arch

Post by 1995 390 express »

hello all - i know there is probably not many out there with the style of my arch but i was wondering if any one has ever modified one to be able to fold down for transport. it is bolted down with 4 bolts on each side and slides in at an angle into the side windows. i am looking into cutting it a foot or two up and rigging it with some type of hinges and locking pins.n it is a solid aluminum arch and only weighs 180#'s or so. i would like to bring the boat home for the winters for storage and work and it is actually about $100.00 less trucking it both ways than storing at the marina. thank you all for any input or ideas :?:
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

don't know about radar arch folding, but I have seen an arch on a factory ski boat that pulls the skier and folds down for transport. I noticed there is a chance someone could get their finger in it and would certainly injure one. Something to think about.
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Have done this before. Took a template of the base/footprint (mark the template for adding bolts top and bottom), and took it to a stainless steel fabricating shop. Told them what I wanted including the hinge, what side the hinge was to be on; in my case it was to fold back to aft, your may differ (this was not for my boat), and the type of latching mechanism, and a hole on one side (strb) for electrical. They made it all up in polished stainless. Looked and worked great.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

I agree and have done many fabs for weird things. you could even make this electronic. seems nothing is cheap but.. If a transom door is possible and showing no signs of foul play after 5-6 years then im sure you can pull this off, if at least for transport reasons.
1995 390 express
Sporadic User

Post by 1995 390 express »

just wanted to say thanks for the advice. ill look into it further.
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

hope it works out for you :D