I've often wondered........

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

k9th
Ultimate User

I've often wondered........

Post by k9th »

I'm not one who has a lot of knowledge to share on the forum since I am usually on the receiving end. Perhaps I am not the right one to be doing this, but I have often wondered what all of you here on the forum do for a living, how old you are, and how long you have been boating?

I have personally met three people from the forum and enjoy being in contact with them when I get the opportunity. It would be nice to know a little more about all of you. I am not trying to pry into your personal life or be offensive in any way, just curious.

I am 64 next month, am a mechanical engineer, and have been boating for about 13 years.
Tim

"SeaDog"
1979 36' Tri-Cabin
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

ill be 36 this june. Mainly paint and collision autos. but i will paint anything that sits around long enough. I do alot of custom bikes and have done 7 full classic car restorations but prefer not to. Started boating about 4-5 years ago
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I am old as ... been boating for 40+ years worked the auto move field for about that long . Have worked in the marine field for a lot of those years ( part time 40 hours or less a week :shock: )
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
trojanmanXS
Moderate User

Post by trojanmanXS »

well 44yrs old here been boating since 10 and have made a living the past 20yrs in the flooring installation business. yeah when woman need the best lay in town they call me :P , install carpet.vinyl,ceramic,hardwood,laminate only thing I dont do is sanding hardwood theres just to many damn chemicals for me to inhale. so in short its blue collar work but am able to take sunny days off when needed.
knees are shot backs shot and my wife still loves me
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

prowlersfish wrote:I am old as ... been boating for 40+ years worked the auto move field for about that long . Have worked in the marine field for a lot of those years ( part time 40 hours or less a week :shock: )
that puts him between 53-56 lol :P
Allen Sr
Active User

Post by Allen Sr »

I've been boating since I was 8yrs old. First boat was a homemade 15' rowboat, and graduated from there. Lived on the water until I went in the service. Drive truck for a living and that will come to an end..........not soon enough! Older than some.......younger than others........... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Growing old is inevitable,but growing up is optional
1984 F36 w/350 Crusaders 'Reel Class'
2011 Trojan Rendevous
Solomons Get Together 2011
Ocean City 2012,2013,2015
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

I am just 65 years old this month, loved boats since my USCG days. Finally could afford it.

Background; Dallas Police Sgt 32 years, HVAC business 7 years, Locksmith 2 or 3 years, Financial Services selling institutional money managment 10 years, licenses 66, 7 and 24 part owner in a FINR broker dealer. BS and MS degrees etc.

I have squeezed a lot into life, should have been some kind of engineer as maechanical things come natural to me and is where my passion lies. :D
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

I'm 51.
Tore apart go karts, mini bikes and the family cars at a young age. Been working on cars most of my life.

Own and run an automobile repair shop in Rockville, MD.
My uncle turned me onto boating and fishing at a young age. Been hooked ever since. :)
Last edited by Stripermann2 on Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
rmatt

Post by rmatt »

Hi, I'm 67. Retired from a construction equipment dealer in the service dept. Been boating since 1964. All fresh water ski boats until 1980. First larger boat 1965 Trojan 31 ft. Now a 1978 F32. Hope I don't get banned just bought a Hatteras 36c.
Bob
gettaway
Active User

Post by gettaway »

Hi my name is Scott

48 years old here, been boating since a kid, grew up on the Mississipi River and the Lakes of Oklahoma (yep there's a few) and Minnesota.

My brother & I bought a 16" alumicraft and a 9.9 honda and spent many weekend on the islands on the mighty miss.

Bought several smaller boats and then a 34' CHB trawler when I was in my thirties, and recently bought LARK, a 1977 F-32.

I owned a sales design and fabrication business for 10-12 years and sold and built industrial processing equipment, mostly stainless steel chemical and food bulk handling equipment. California had successfully run most of the processors out of the state so it was time for a change, now I work for an Electrical Utility Contractor, we essentially install Transmission, distribution, substations and undeground electrical utilities and my role is in government air quality compliance for our fleet division, we run approximately 6500 pieces of equipment nationwide.
1984 Silverton 37C
Silver Lining
Scott
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

Post by aaronbocknek »

tim, what a great idea.... i might be spilling more than you want, but.....

i'm 51 and my partner phil and i have been together for almost 16 years. (not sure if that's good or bad, but it works. for now.)
i did a tour with the israeli airforce as a paratrooper, between high school and college (and yes, i can fire an uzzi if i have to.)
i'm a graduate of james madison university in harrisonburg, va, with a bachelor of science degree in speech communication, public relations and marketing.
i've loved any and every thing mechanical, and enjoy building and repairing things.
i'm a 26 year flight attendant, but not with the same carrier. (i am considered a deregulation refugee having worked for NEW YORK AIR, CONTINENTAL, EASTERN and WORLD AIRWAYS. i've recently been 'promoted' to the rank of in fight director (purser), with US AIRWAYS where i've been since 1989. <express and mainline jet>(love the 2.50/hr raise :shock: )
i grew up with boating in the washington, dc area, and am quite familiar with the trojan brand. mom and dad had a factory fresh 1972 trojan tri cabin until 2008.
i moved into boating myself in the fall of 2008 with a 1976 f-32.
in the fall of 2010, i found and bought, what i hope, is my 'forever' boat, a 1982 trojan tri cabin.

aaron in baltimore.
phil first mate
maccabee the boston terrier, second mate.
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
vabeach1234
Moderate User

Post by vabeach1234 »

37 years old and bought my first boat, a 18' center console 12 years ago. Have had my 26 Trojan since 2004. Am a structural engineer. Wife says I have a 2 boat limit, otherwise I'd probably have more than two. She did surprise me and tell me I can buy another but must sell one of the ones that I already own with in 3 months. I don't think she realizes how hard it is to sell a boat nowadays.
Ken
1972 Trojan F26 Express
1985 Dell Quay Dory 13
Hampton, VA
http://s853.photobucket.com/user/vabeac ... ojan%20F26
koviak
Moderate User

Post by koviak »

I have been boating since I started walking. Grew up with dad and the good old Owens boats, his brother worked at the factory in Baltimore. I always bought project boats and restored them only to sell and start again. I always got bored when the major work was done. My wife suggested I buy a boat needing less work so I bought a 10 meter Trojan. Still find myself replacing and updating items and getting yelled at for it. I am a electrician by trade but now work at a service company doing electrical,gas,plumbimg and steam install and repairs (certified in all) on equipment. Also in the process of rebuilding a 1983 Monte Carlo that my son purchased (like I need more work). All this in my 50 yrs. in Maryland and yes my knees are also shot !
Dennis
1989 10 Meter Mid-Cabin
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I forgot . I have met at least 11 of you here and some of their families and keep in touch with most of them
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

Post by aaronbocknek »

prowlersfish wrote:I forgot . I have met at least 11 of you here and some of their families and keep in touch with most of them
:D :D
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com