standard and reverse rotation

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

antlr-king
Sporadic User

standard and reverse rotation

Post by antlr-king »

real quick. i think i know the answer but
in my f-30 the standard rotation engine is on the port side
the reverse rotation engine on the starboard side
the engines have arrived and im ready to start tearing them down.
1979 30' trojan express
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

correct i just reseived a starboard side motor reverse rotation
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Thats the norm , as long as your not running a 2 to 1 gear the changes shaft rotation
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
antlr-king
Sporadic User

Post by antlr-king »

and how whould i know what gears im running? im learning as i go.
1979 30' trojan express
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Look at the tag on it . But I bet its a 1 to 1 (that you can tell by a photo )
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I just looked at the photos of your old transmissions ,they are 1 to 1 for sure . so no worries . you double check the rotation by looking at the props too .[/list]
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
antlr-king
Sporadic User

Post by antlr-king »

hey right on. thanks. thats what i thought. will post engine work process in the next few weeks.
1979 30' trojan express
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

cant wait to see the pics!!!
antlr-king
Sporadic User

started stripping portside engine today

Post by antlr-king »

wow this is alot of work. had to go pick up the portside engine this morning at the marina. then took it home and got started removing all the parts. 6 hours later all i had left to take off is the harmonic balancer. is the big nut on the front of it reverse threads? i could not get it loose. and what is the best way to clean all the grease/oil and old paint off of everything? the new engine looks awesome.
1979 30' trojan express
1995 390 express
Sporadic User

Post by 1995 390 express »

goodmorning - your harmonic balancer bolt should be regular thread and they are a bitch at times. best bet is a compresor and air tools. a 1/2 inch impact gun should spin her rite out. if you do have air i would suggest a 3m product called ROLOC -its is an abrasive scotch brite pad that click onto fitting they also sell to fit drills ect. i am doing 2 engines as we speak and its the best option i have found to work. also out standing for cleaning gasket surfaces at the same time. it blasts paint rust and gaskets off relatively easy. if you don t have a compresor a drill will work but the air pressure works 30 times better. they sell it at most auto parts stores/ sears ect. if you go with this system don t cheat yourself get plenty of the pads. also be sure to wear saftey glasses and be in a well ventilated area or outside. they also sell the air tool at the same places GOODLUCK
1995 390 express
Sporadic User

:lol:
Mike Kulp
Moderate User

Post by Mike Kulp »

If you use roloc disc be very carefull and clean everything off with cleaner and soap and water, the abraisive meduim is sand and if it gets inside your engine it will ruin it. Some manufactures have warnings not to use such products when installing there engines. At the shop we use a roloc disc that is made out of plastic, they work well but are 4 times the money.
Mike 1986 10 Meter mid cabin
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Mike Kulp wrote:If you use roloc disc be very carefull and clean everything off with cleaner and soap and water, the abraisive meduim is sand and if it gets inside your engine it will ruin it. Some manufactures have warnings not to use such products when installing there engines. At the shop we use a roloc disc that is made out of plastic, they work well but are 4 times the money.

X2 Many OEM say not to use it when doing engine repair
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
antlr-king
Sporadic User

Post by antlr-king »

i used one of those plastic discs today. it work pretty good. the little plastic peices fly everywhere though. when it got wore down to a nub i used a wire wheel and wore it down to nub as well. paint remover took most of it off after i used engine degreaser. should hav all parts finished cleaned tommorow. and i still have that pesky harmonic balancer to deal with.
1979 30' trojan express
1995 390 express
Sporadic User

sorry for not giving more info on the roloc use. i was not implying using it on or near your new engine block or internal moving parts. i was refering to clean up of most of your bolt ons that should be degreased cleaned and painted anyway. the flying debris was my reason for doing it outside if it was possible. i was not even doing mine in the same garage as the engines. hope it all worked out for you and good luck.