bilgecoat in engineroom

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

1995 390 express
Sporadic User

bilgecoat in engineroom

Post by 1995 390 express »

any pointers or tricks would be appreciated-engine room has been scrubbed by hand to remove most of the oily debris and grease.between yesterday and today i have powerwashed it with degreaser 7 times. i'm letting her dry now for a couple days and was wondering if it needs a light sanding and what is best for applicating brush/roller ect. any advice will help. thanks much.
antlr-king
Sporadic User

Post by antlr-king »

i did the same thing. it took 2 weeks to clean all the oil sludge from the bilge. degreaser and soap. i didnt sand afterwards. i whiped down with acetone. then 2 coats white bilgecoat. i think it turned out pretty good.
i went from this.....to this.......
1979 30' trojan express
1995 390 express
Sporadic User

looks awesome - i hope mine comes out that good. did you just use regular brushes ? im in the midst of a lot of work. hope to have it done by weekend. will post pics then . can t wait to get engines out of garage. thanks.
1995 390 express
Sporadic User

also about how much did you use for the 2 coats. i'm about double that size and only have a gallon
antlr-king
Sporadic User

Post by antlr-king »

i used mostly a small foam roller. it gets into corners and cracks nicely. just smoosh it in there. at the end of the day i just throw it away. i went through 6 of them. 2 gallons of bilgecoat. but i did engine comp, the stern area, and the hole bilge to the bow. mine was completely oil saturated i had to just to make it smell better. lol. the 2 old engines i had leak so much oil it was unreal. good luck with yours. i still have small spots of oil trying to seep out of its pours. hopfully that will quit one day.
1979 30' trojan express
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

wow looks great, I cant wait to see those results!!!
1995 390 express
Sporadic User

thanks again-i used a pressure washer with muliple degreasers and after floating around with many gallons i would wetvac it all out including the broken down sludge lol. it worked great but me backs alittle sore from climbing in an out of shrinkwrap door and crawling around down there but well worth it. i know what you mean about the boat odors. it should be alot better good luck
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

I did it the same way with pressure wash, have not painted it yet, but have to PW again as got soda everywhere from bottom soda blasting, bottom holes let it in. I also used a wet vac first time and worked well.

BTW I bought 3 gals for my f28, gonna airless spray it 2 coats so wanted plenty.

But as many things still on the list of todo.
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

larry I have a airless system. just use a short hose and you wont waste much. you can brush in your left over paint. airless systems waste ALOT but they fill!! alot of paint comes out fast!!! then you are left with about a half gallon in the system that didnt get picked up out of the drum. you get a nicer more film job though. gravity feed is horrible when you dont want to waste. I will spary mine with siphon. I will get my $ worth of sprayed paint.
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

Mine is a wagner and too big to get into the boat. If I need more for second coat will get some more. It will allow me to get into places I cannot quite get into with roller or brush.

I have used airless on many occassions and yes they do use more paint but they also put more paint where it needs to be and up into cracks and grooves. It is the best way I can imagine to apply. I have a gallon of reducer as well. One can save the paint in the hose by carefully pumping it through until you hit reducer.

In any case it is going to have two good coats.
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
bkwesq
Sporadic User

Post by bkwesq »

I did the same - cleaned for days best I could- check my blog for photos
1976 Trojan F 25
http://my1976trojan.wordpress.com
Knot Guilty
1995 390 express
Sporadic User

looks great B K did you also go with 2 coats
lawyerdave71
Moderate User

Post by lawyerdave71 »

antlr-king,

I am so jealous. . . . .

Your F-30 bilge makes mine look like crap and here I was thinking of just doing the underside of the hatches!!!!!
Captain Dave -

1978 F30 Flybridge Express
DAVIDLOFLAND
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by DAVIDLOFLAND »

This is epoxy, shot with a pressure pot. Industrial paint suppliers sell a liquid product that softens the old substrate, and acts like liquid sandpaper. Great adhesion made fairly easy.

1977 F-32 INSTANT FUN "Just Add Water"
My Forever boat - O/O 30 years and counting
Yanmar 6BY3-260's
1995 390 express
Sporadic User

another great looking job - clean is great and i hope they all stay clean for a long time thanks