Lower Helm wall rott.

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

jefflaw35

Lower Helm wall rott.

Post by jefflaw35 »

Im assuming its called a helm wall. Any way the stair case entrance is rotted over 2 inches down. replace entire wall or resupport? its a good size job to replace it looks. but the rest of it is strong.
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

Hmmmm What would I do, Seen a bulkhead job like that on a Navy M.S.O. we did a replacement. Anyone else.
Carver 3607 ACMY 454's Merc's
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

http://s852.beta.photobucket.com/user/t ... 8/library/
1995 390 express
Sporadic User

Post by 1995 390 express »

not even close to an expert on that jeff but my thoughts are you've gone that far and have it exposed so you might as well fix her rite while your in there.
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

Jeff if it rotted all the way port and starboard, you don't have much choice. If is only in the middle I would put in a new piece in cneter and laminate with another on both sides.

On another issue I see a house type electrical box which by itself may be fine, what kind of wires go in an out of it. If solid you should change and you may have already noticed it, just an observation. :)
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

yea Larry that box makes me laugh, Its just the last of the wiring that hasnt been gutted yet. It wont be going back in trust me. On the wall, I took a penny nail and tapped every 2 inches every where. Its just this area in the middle thats rotted, but i still feel uncomfortable patching it. IMO it needs to be replaced. But in hope of others I was also hoping someone has found a short cut here, but short cuts are dangerous on a boat so i guess I answered my own question :roll:
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

1995 390 express wrote:not even close to an expert on that jeff but my thoughts are you've gone that far and have it exposed so you might as well fix her rite while your in there.
Im agreeing you guys, just a bummer. no $ really. just looks scary at first glance :shock:
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

the bulkhead needs some work , for sure
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

prowlersfish wrote:the bulkhead needs some work , for sure
thanks paul and tony, Bulkhead!
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Jeff, if you're talking about replacing the bulkhead, IMO, cut out the bad section until you are into solid wood. You must check it down low to the hull too. Now do your fiberglassing thing, and here I would use the epoxy. You can sister it/put a backer on the engine compartment side etc, and it will be just as strong, in fact with epoxy, that section will be stronger than new. The best thing to do with plywood is to make rabbit joints using the existing layers of the plywood. If you do an 8:1 taper or rabbit, that sh$t will never come apart.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

Big D wrote:Jeff, if you're talking about replacing the bulkhead, IMO, cut out the bad section until you are into solid wood. You must check it down low to the hull too. Now do your fiberglassing thing, and here I would use the epoxy. You can sister it/put a backer on the engine compartment side etc, and it will be just as strong, in fact with epoxy, that section will be stronger than new. The best thing to do with plywood is to make rabbit joints using the existing layers of the plywood. If you do an 8:1 taper or rabbit, that sh$t will never come apart.
A heathly solution like Larry said. I like both Ideas, replacement I just dont see. It only this middle section. I have checked every where!!! :evil: its a hard desion to me. I do beleave It can be repaired but I also think the structure should be replaced as a whole. I dont mind the work, like I said its a cheap project. I would like to pass this boat on to my daughters who are becomeing fishing fanatics fast, but you never know where she may end up 20 years from now. im ok with reapairs that are stronger than OEM but is it a good idea to short cut???
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

I don't see it as a shortcut. I see it as a practical repair that will be stronger than before, and what's wrong with that? Glass her in, down to the hull if asthetics is a concern, and then paint her grey. She'll look and work like brand new. It's your set of drums though!
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Less chance of deforming the hull doing it Big Ds way Too . If its just the top part of the bulkhead it may be the best way to go.
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

D im agreeing with you so much you have no idea! :lol: replacing that wall looks horriblely hard. and I think that glass is stronger than the original wall...
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

thanks guys, all of you! I think this problem is solved! I will show you how it turns out and we can restart from there.
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Now, let's talk about laying glass :lol: Sorry, couldn't resist :wink: