run it like a trawler ????

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

k9th
Ultimate User

Post by k9th »

Most of the fishing charters at our marina are gas with carbs and troll for hours at just below 2kts for salmon. I do the same with SeaDog and have had no issues with the plugs fouling or the engines loading up. Every now and again I will pop one out of gear and throttle up to about 2,000 for a few seconds and back down and then do the other one too.
Tim

"SeaDog"
1979 36' Tri-Cabin
DOUBLE R
Sporadic User

Post by DOUBLE R »

Max hull speed may not be the most fuel efficient. Many times on semi-displacement hulls max economy can be at or near dead idle. As with air, Water resistance is not a linear progression but rather a geometric function.
MY CURENT FLEET

2003 KEY WEST 2020 WA
1978 ASHCRAFT 14' SKIFF
summer storm
Moderate User

Post by summer storm »

Ever since I read the "How many Hours will you run your boat this year" post I've been running my fuel burn numbers and to be honest I don't like what I see. I think if it stays around 5 per gallon I'm OK but if it goes much higher I'll be in low speed mode for a while. Next step, putting a couple of 165's in the boat!
Doug

1977 F-32
1982 Chris Craft 280
1992 Boston Whaler 13 Super Sport Limited
1974 F-25 (Sold)
1979 F-26 (sold)
kevinz

Post by kevinz »

I have Crusader 454xl's. No fuel injection. On plane at 3200-3400 RPMs, (24MPH) my Garmin fuel flo screen says I'm burning 26 GPH. At 1500 RPM's (8MPH) towing the J-14 Skiff, the Garmin says fuel burn is 6 GPH. I like the slow speed, half the fun is getting there!! IF... the slow speed don't cause me headaches!
-1995 350 express
with big blues (454 Crusaders)
-2011 Caroling Skiff J-14 (Tohatsu 30hp four stroke)
-1996 Sea Ray SeaRayder jet (Merc 90hp)
-1990 BeachCat 20. Fiberglass pontoon (2013 Merc 60hp big foot)
Paul
Active User

Post by Paul »

One thing to keep in mind if you choose to run in the 1000 RPM range with a Velvet Drive that the clutches tend to slip a little at such a low RMP. This will result in reduced clutch plate life expectancy. Shops that service these transmissions see this effect mostly on vessels that use the main engine for trolling.
Paul
"Cruise Control" 1978 F-26HT
"No Control" 2012 9' Grand RIB
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Good point Paul, that's pretty much boarderline rpm while still trying to maximize clutch longevity.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
jimbo36
Moderate User

Post by jimbo36 »

kevinz, so you are saying that a 24 mile trip will cost you an additional 8 gals of fuel running @ 3200-3400 RPM. Is this your sweet spot on plane? by the way your boat looks great on plane on your avatar. :wink:
jimbo36
Moderate User

Post by jimbo36 »

kevinz, so you are saying that a 24 mile trip will cost you an additional 8 gals of fuel running @ 3200-3400 RPM. Is this your sweet spot on plane? by the way your boat looks great on plane on your avatar. :wink:
gruhs

Post by gruhs »

k9th wrote:
captainmaniac wrote:Only if you are running at or below 'hull speed' (= 1.34 x square root(water line length)). That is as fast as you can push through water without the boat trying to climb on top of it (ie plane). Hull speed is the fastest you can go without starting to burn power trying to also lift.

I don't have the number near me, but for the F32 waterline length is about 28' I think. So about 7 knots (around 1500 rpm probably) is going to be the fastest you can go for the least fuel.
Good point and thanks for bringing it up.
Has someone calculated what the hull speed is for the tri-cabin using the
formula? (I don't know what the length at water line is)
1977 Trojan Tri-cabin
"Seaweed"
Home port East Chicago, In.
k9th
Ultimate User

Post by k9th »

gruhs wrote:
k9th wrote:
captainmaniac wrote:Only if you are running at or below 'hull speed' (= 1.34 x square root(water line length)). That is as fast as you can push through water without the boat trying to climb on top of it (ie plane). Hull speed is the fastest you can go without starting to burn power trying to also lift.

I don't have the number near me, but for the F32 waterline length is about 28' I think. So about 7 knots (around 1500 rpm probably) is going to be the fastest you can go for the least fuel.
Good point and thanks for bringing it up.
Has someone calculated what the hull speed is for the tri-cabin using the
formula? (I don't know what the length at water line is)
The formula, according to Wikipedia, allows a range for the first factor which was given here as 1.34. It can range between 1.34 & 1.51. The 1.34 is the conservative value. I estimated the water line length at 32ft based on my trip to the boat last weekend. Doing the math gives a speed range of 7.5 - 8.5 kts using the 1.34 - 1.51 factor. Not sure what RPM that would be. Been wondering also with the bottom exhaust pushing the hull up, how much of a factor that will be. I don't have to go very fast at all till I'm on plane.
Tim

"SeaDog"
1979 36' Tri-Cabin
gruhs

Post by gruhs »

good morning K9th...
That's my favorite speed for easy afternoon for cruising... as I recall that
would be about 15-1600 rpm for me. By the way if we meet up on the lake
somewhere this season, we just finished changing the name of the boat.
The old name wasn't chosen by us, it just came with the boat and now it
carries the name of one of our first boats years ago.
1977 Trojan Tri-cabin
"Seaweed"
k9th
Ultimate User

Post by k9th »

That's about what I thought on the RPM.

Name looks nice Gary, glad you got it changed. See you soon.
Tim

"SeaDog"
1979 36' Tri-Cabin
gettaway
Active User

Post by gettaway »

As most of you know I repowered this past year to GM / Mercruiser inline 6 six cylinder, 165 hp engines. Same ratio transmissions 1.52 to 1, and same 3 blade 16 X 15 bronze props.

I am running at just 9-10 knots and burning 3 gallons an hour. For me the trip is the best part

its working for me and with the price of fuel its even better, I ended up with a neat engine room as well
1984 Silverton 37C
Silver Lining
Scott
gruhs

Post by gruhs »

wow, you could eat dinner in the that engine room. Very, very, nice,, wish mine looked that fresh and clean :-)

Gary
1977 Trojan Tri-cabin
"Seaweed"
k9th
Ultimate User

Post by k9th »

gruhs wrote:wow, you could eat dinner in the that engine room. Very, very, nice,, wish mine looked that fresh and clean :-)

Gary
You going to change the boat name on your signature?
Tim

"SeaDog"
1979 36' Tri-Cabin