Who needs raw water strainers?

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Do you need to have raw water strainers on (inboard) engines?

Of course you need them, how else are you going to unclog the cooling system when you suck-up a plastic bag or some weeds, remove the cooling hose and change the impeller?
90%
They are unnecessary. In fact without them, when you run aground and suck up a bunch of silt, the sediment scours the internal passages, improving heat transfer and efficiency.
10%
What are raw water strainers?
No votes

Total votes: 10

P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Who needs raw water strainers?

Post by P-Dogg »

I looked at a boat today that had a raw water strainer on the air-conditioning water intake, but had no strainers on the engine cooling system -- raw water cooled, not freshwater cooled. I thought that was wee bit odd. Am I deluded in thinking they are necessary? What do you think?

Since back when the Mrs. said "buy one", I've looked at just, ummm, just 11 of the 20 or so of the mid-engine centerline queen tricabs currently for sale east of the Mississippi. Even though I am a cash buyer, always bring a deposit check and contract with me, and am as ready as can be to buy a boat, every single boat I've seen has enough wrong with it that it keeps me from making an offer on the spot.

This one today is taking in water at the port underwater exhaust through-hull, but not when it is sitting, because it was just seeping, but it looks like when it is underway it leaks a lot more (same is true for the abandoned transducer that has standing water on the top of it, even though it is above the bilge waterline). Based upon the thickness of the slime growing downhill from the thru-hull, it is not a brand-new leak. It also had WIRE NUTS! on the hot water heater (which didn't appear to be tied down, had no strain relief on the conductor, and had just one layer of insulation between the conductor and the sharp edge of the sheetmetal hole it goes through). The freshwater pump was screwed down so close to the bulkhead that it sure looked like the only way to service the strainer was to unscrew the pump first. But I digress.....

I plan to make my first-ever offer on this boat after I review my notes and look at the modest 44 minute video (OK -- so I'm an anal retentive mechanical engineer) I took and see what I think it needs, then go down the list to the next best until someone accepts my offer. The only problem is, this one is relatively new to the market, and the owner hasn't been through dozens and dozens of tire kickers and years of not selling. My best friend just sold his Bertram for one-third of his original asking price (which was market price, not above it) just to get out from under it 5 years after he put it on the market, so I know it can take a while to sell a boat. Turns out, it can take a while to buy one too. Thanks so much for your help guys -- I'm soon going to have a boat!
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

D) none of the above . ' The straners I asume your talking about are nice but a must have , no . I don't have them on the engines or gen set . I do have them on the A/C . I asume this is the style your talking about ? http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/us ... +Strainers

Now that trojan and most trojans came with a straner so to speak on the thru hull '
Looks like this one http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/us ... e+Strainer
Thats the most comon type you will find .

This is the type I am running ( mine are larger)
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/us ... +Strainers
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

BTW The leak would be my main concern
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Eddie-O

Post by Eddie-O »

I like them because they protect the oil cooler and the heat exchanger from getting cloged up . On my old boat did not have one and over heated because what looked like wood pulp cloged the oil cooler passages and restricted flow to raw water pump( by the way it took me some time to find the problem)
rossjo
Ultimate User

Post by rossjo »

Can't see any reason NOT to have them.

Absolutely essential n engines. Been on several boats offshore that would not have made it home if we did not have strainers.
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

when I pulled engine package from my f28 both oil coolers and hoses from seacock to cooler were full of tiny pieces of woody substance totally clogging. As reassable goes on will put inboard strainers to eliminate the problem in the future. :)
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
DAVIDLOFLAND
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by DAVIDLOFLAND »

Necessity of strainers is somewhat dependent on the water you run in. I do not have strainers on the engine raw water pickups, and I have never had a problem, but I only run in super clear, clean water.

That said, strainers can't hurt, and sometimes I think about installing a couple just for extra insurance.
1977 F-32 INSTANT FUN "Just Add Water"
My Forever boat - O/O 30 years and counting
Yanmar 6BY3-260's