Surveyor recommendation needed in northern Ohio

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Surveyor recommendation needed in northern Ohio

Post by P-Dogg »

Can anyone recommend a surveyor that works on Lake Erie halfway between Toledo and Cleveland? I need to survey a 36 foot twin gas vessel. Someone who can do both hull and engines would be ideal. Otherwise, someone who specializes in hull only or engines only would work too. Boroscoping capabilities are a plus. Thanks, Perry
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I do not know my self but perhaps this would help you find one you could trust

http://www.boatus.com/insurance/survey.asp
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Briand

Post by Briand »

Greg Group is a very well known surveyor in this area, you are probably looking in the Port Clinton area. Greg surveyed my boat ten years ago, I was very happy. You can google "Greg Group" for contact information. Good luck, you will be pleased with his work.
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

Or look up options here http://www.marinesurvey.org/
mitch
Sporadic User

Post by mitch »

Last weekend, watched a travel lift raise a 40 footer, out of the water for a 5 minute look at bottom, no wonder some surveys are expensive.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Travel lift fee is not included in the survery
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
mitch
Sporadic User

Post by mitch »

Maybe back east, here in Missouri it is, about 500 bucks
Crazy Yankee

Post by Crazy Yankee »

Our 10m was in Monroe MI, which is just outside of Toledo, OH. We used - http://www.mormanmarinesurveyors.com

They were a pleasure to deal with, although I never met them in person. I remember a very nice lady that answers the phones for them was very helpful.
1985 Trojan International 10 Meter Express

Crazy Yankee Sportfishing
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

I know you gotta have em but IMO they are useless as a realestate apprasier and home enspector.

A necessary insurance evil that you cannot depend on for your own decision making. :twisted:
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

larryeddington wrote:I know you gotta have em but IMO they are useless as a realestate apprasier and home enspector.
A necessary insurance evil that you cannot depend on for your own decision making. :twisted:
Maybe for your little boat purchase... but I would never consider spending $100,000+ on a boat without one.
Of course like "everyone" in life there are good and bad and everything in between......
The secret is to find the good one's... appraiser/inspector/surveyor/mechanic /advisor the good ones are worth knowing about.
Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

as I said a necessary evil, but you need to add your own common sense, there's is supposed to be an expert opinion. Check legal definition (expert witness) you only have to know more than than the average person.

At the end of the day it is only an opinion and IMO mine is better if I get to examine it hands on. I would put my mechanical eye up against any of them.

No more comment from me, jump on if you wish. I have no more comment on this subject other than they are necessary for insurance but for individual purchase of my "small boat" I would use my own good judgement rather be upset with me than something I paid my hard earned money for.

Also not many Trojans in the $100K price range.
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

I think what we have to remember is that not all purchasers come to the table with the same knowledge of the boat they’re buying. Heck the numbers are rising for those that don’t even know what port or starboard is! How can they possibly know what to look for in determining if a vessel is sound, or what it may take to correct the deficiencies that are certain to exist? Personally, I’m confident I know enough not to have to hire one, but not everybody could say that sensibly. They may be new to boating, and know nothing about it. It would be like my pretending I’d know what to look for if I were in the market for to purchase an airplane; it would simply be too foreign to me to make an educated purchase. Though I know boats, would I hire one? I probably would. Never mind insurance, it is a necessary evil as stated, I continue to maintain that a survey is a good document to have as a third party pointing out deficiencies that can serve as a bargaining tool in negotiating a fair/better price, and to protect your safety. One has to however go into it expecting that the surveyor will not find it all, and that inevitably you will find a few things they missed as you familiarize yourself with your new purchase. If you expect him to find it all in the few hours it takes him to do his thing without removing panels, headliners, cabinetry, floors, etc., you will be disappointed. They can’t possibly find every deficiency. Thankfully, with respect to the Trojan line, we here can certainly point out deficiencies that we have come across on our own vessels that may help others in knowing what to look for.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year