The Great Loop

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

S.A.M.
Moderate User

The Great Loop

Post by S.A.M. »

My wife and I are looking into doing this. Anyone else done it?

We're going to sell the 10M midcabin this summer and save for a couple of years and look for the right boat. I will be looking for a pilothouse, no flybridge.

I've been reading a lot and have a more reading to do.
Sherman
'90 10m Midcabin
rossjo
Ultimate User

Post by rossjo »

Know a few people who have. One couple we docked next to a few years back spent 1 year doing it on a Grand Banks 55. They said they had a great time (they were on the last few days, returning to NC) and were sorry it was over.

My wife and I would like to do it someday as well ... Winter in the South and Summer through the Great Lakes.

Check out the America's Great Loop Cruisers' Association ..
http://www.greatloop.org/?gclid=CMj-vcn ... nAodgRztpA

Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

Here is a blog of a louisiana couple that made it. My buddys sister and hubby;

http://conkytonkin.blogspot.com/
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
S.A.M.
Moderate User

Post by S.A.M. »

Started reading blogs of the loopers last year. That what got me hooked.
Sherman
'90 10m Midcabin
k9th
Ultimate User

Post by k9th »

That would be a great goal for a retirement project - when I would actually have the time.

I've thought about it since I'm within 22 months of retirement age and looked into it a little. It was one of the reasons I got the tri-cabin cuz it has plenty of room for an extended trip like that.

Lots of great stories on blogs about people who have done it. Hope you can make it a reality.
Tim

"SeaDog"
1979 36' Tri-Cabin
lawyerdave71
Moderate User

Post by lawyerdave71 »

I have often run into loopers in Door County, Wisconsin and they are usually from the West Coast.

I first learned of loopers when I said to this couple "how in the hell did you get that massive boat here from California?"

The loopers always have interesting stories to tell.

I would like to do it some day.
Captain Dave -

1978 F30 Flybridge Express
trepka2001

Post by trepka2001 »

How did they get that massive boat there from California?
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

wander if a small F25 with the right electronics could pull it off, deff neat!
Torcan
Moderate User

Post by Torcan »

jefflaw35 wrote:wander if a small F25 with the right electronics could pull it off, deff neat!
Any size boat could pull it off, even a canoe. With the right amount of time and money.
1980 Trojan F 25 "MY TYME" (sold)
1986 Thundercraft Magnum 280 "The HAILEY-SAVANNAH"
http://www.cbyc.ca/
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

Torcan wrote:
jefflaw35 wrote:wander if a small F25 with the right electronics could pull it off, deff neat!
even a canoe.
:shock: I was thinking I could mount the stripper pole to the bow and tie a sheet to it. Sail there for free, no gas and no muscles :lol:
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

I'm going to be doing a partial loop... starting from Nashville (Aug) on the Cumberland River down the Tennessee and TomBigbee waterway to Gulf coast (Oct), FL (Nov/Dec) Key West for New Years eve, Exumas Bahamas (Jan/March) and up East coast, Hudson river (Apr/May) into Lake Ontario.
I will be missing out on the Chicago to Tennessee River section which would make it a full loop.
The Admiral and I will be doing a blog and photo journal of our travels.
Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL
kevinz

Post by kevinz »

The right boat and lots of cash. A single diesel trawler is best with shallow draft and low air draft. A couple moored at NAS Pensacola just did it and they loved the trip. He thinks now with the price of fuel it will cost $50,000.00. I went from Grand Haven Michigan to the Gulf Coast in the old boat (1984 25' gas express) in 1989 and had a great time. A lot of the old fuel stops have closed, so gas is scarce.
-1995 350 express
with big blues (454 Crusaders)
-2011 Caroling Skiff J-14 (Tohatsu 30hp four stroke)
-1996 Sea Ray SeaRayder jet (Merc 90hp)
-1990 BeachCat 20. Fiberglass pontoon (2013 Merc 60hp big foot)
jimbo36
Moderate User

Post by jimbo36 »

We have hosted a "Loopers" event in Southern Georgia Bay at our marinas for many years. As part of Parkbridge Marinas Canada and as marina operators before the Parkbridge days. Although I have yet to do the loop myself (waiting for retirement) I have met hundreds of loopers over the years both here in Georgian bay and when managing my previous marina facility in Belleville on the Bay of Quinte. Their stories are endless and unique. It is an incredable way of life that if anyone has the abilitiy to do would definatly top their "bucket list". During our events, over a few days, we entertain loopers and provide education about cruising Georgian Bay and the North Channal. We arrange guest speakers, workshops, and social gaterings that take place at our Marinas and local establishments. Without exclusion, Loopers will tell you the most magnifcent part of the loop is Georgian Bay and the North Channel. A lifetime friend of mine who now lives in Stuart Fla. said it best when he told me the thing his misses most about Canada is cruising Georgian Bay. 8)
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

kevinz wrote:He thinks now with the price of fuel it will cost $50,000.00. A lot of the old fuel stops have closed, so gas is scarce.
That figure must include a lot of other costs..... the fuel prices are not that bad except for the Canadian section :x
Of course if he is running at high speeds... I see so many cruisers running at 30 mph how the hell do they see anything :?:
I agree it is only worth doing on at least a one year plus schedule....

Oil is back down to low $90's and going lower...

I agree that boats with much less than 400 mile range will have problems in a couple of places but remote fuel drops can be arranged.
Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL
k9th
Ultimate User

Post by k9th »

jimbo36 wrote:We have hosted a "Loopers" event in Southern Georgia Bay at our marinas for many years. As part of Parkbridge Marinas Canada and as marina operators before the Parkbridge days. Although I have yet to do the loop myself (waiting for retirement) I have met hundreds of loopers over the years both here in Georgian bay and when managing my previous marina facility in Belleville on the Bay of Quinte. Their stories are endless and unique. It is an incredable way of life that if anyone has the abilitiy to do would definatly top their "bucket list". During our events, over a few days, we entertain loopers and provide education about cruising Georgian Bay and the North Channal. We arrange guest speakers, workshops, and social gaterings that take place at our Marinas and local establishments. Without exclusion, Loopers will tell you the most magnifcent part of the loop is Georgian Bay and the North Channel. A lifetime friend of mine who now lives in Stuart Fla. said it best when he told me the thing his misses most about Canada is cruising Georgian Bay. 8)
I can understand their comments since I have cruised both. The North Channel is without any doubt the most beautiful and pristine place I have ever been. I have been there four times since 1999 and plan to return again next summer. It was a much easier trip when I was in Lake Huron and could be going through the Mississauga Straits in less than five hours after leaving my home port. The trip from the south end of Lake Michigan will be quite a bit longer and more expensive - but well worth it.
Tim

"SeaDog"
1979 36' Tri-Cabin