Velvet Drive Question

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

k9th
Ultimate User

Velvet Drive Question

Post by k9th »

I'm assuming these transmissions have some sort of clutch. This weekend while returning to the dock I was in and out of neutral as usual maneuvering to my slip. It appeared that the starboard side was not getting as much "bite" as usual when going into forward. It ran fine at cruise speed and I didn't notice any real difference on the way out the channel while the engine & tranny were still warming up.

What are the symptoms of failure of the clutch and the entire transmission?
Tim

"SeaDog"
1979 36' Tri-Cabin
1995 390 express
Sporadic User

Post by 1995 390 express »

tim-the transmissions are all clutches- no gears like a manuel car. first check your fluid level after you have run them while hot-NOT RUNNING. if it smells or looks burnt id change it- theh check to be sure its going completely into forward and reverse and may be adjust cable. if it cures nothing you may be looking at a rebuild GOOD LUCK
aweimer
Moderate User

Re: Velvet Drive Question

Post by aweimer »

k9th wrote:I'm assuming these transmissions have some sort of clutch. This weekend while returning to the dock I was in and out of neutral as usual maneuvering to my slip. It appeared that the starboard side was not getting as much "bite" as usual when going into forward. It ran fine at cruise speed and I didn't notice any real difference on the way out the channel while the engine & tranny were still warming up.

What are the symptoms of failure of the clutch and the entire transmission?
Fluid is probably the issue. Changed mine this season and it made a HUGE difference at idle speeds.

Just used my oil sucker. Warmed them up, sucked them dry, quickly fired the engines (2-5 sec) which pumped the rest out of the cooler to suck out. Refiled (Type-F Trans Fluid), warmed up, topped it off. Took all of an hour to do both.

I've had her for 4 seasons now, this was the first time changing it since I"ve owned her, based on the manual i've got, should change them every 150 hours.
Aaron
Lake Erie, OH
http://s1099.photobucket.com/albums/g39 ... 20It%20Up/
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

check the idle speed of the engine also .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
k9th
Ultimate User

Post by k9th »

Thanks for the replies, and I am going to check the fluid level next weekend. Both engines were "idling" at about 900 going in and out of gear when I arrived back at the marina.

When I first start both engines, the port side idles about 650 and starboard at about 800 out of gear. When the trannies are cold right after starting the engines and I back out of the slip, both put a noticeable load on the engines - but port side more than starboard. The engines run for about 5-8 minutes while I get everything disconnected before leaving the dock.

I was surprised when returning that I went in and out of gear with no noticeable change in RPM. I just had the carbs rebuilt so I guess I was paying closer attention to the RPMs since this was my first time away from the dock. I usually just bring it back to idle and maneuver to the dock. Our water is still quite cool at about 55-60F maximum in the marina.
Tim

"SeaDog"
1979 36' Tri-Cabin