Does your neighbor have a tricab to sell?

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Does your neighbor have a tricab to sell?

Post by P-Dogg »

I had another near-miss on a tricab purchase today. Just like the last one, the owner claims to have not been told by the broker that I was coming, so naturally when I interrupted their cruise (they were not at the dock, even though I called the broker on Friday and said that I was coming Saturday, then called again Saturday morning before I started my 2.5 hr drive to the boat) so the broker could show the boat, they were a bit miffed.

That bad start, likely, and the fact that the boat was just listed, resulted in my offer being declined even though it was within 19% of asking price, and not subject to additional nickel and diming -- structural issues only, no griping about loose stanchions and other minutia. It is not like the boat is in perfect condition (moist stringers under the engine beds, moist decks in places, moist superstructure under the windows -- all of them, leaking water heater, leaking port vee strut (AGAIN!, for those of you following the saga), patched canvas, engine oil leaks and oily bilge water, leaking hull to deck joint in the anchor locker, etc. And an 18" crack in the dash leading from the starboard side of the horizontal companionway hatch cut-out foward and outboard toward the windshield -- not a mere stress crack, but a genuine, all grown up crack.

The owner was also taken aback that I would actually want to INSPECT a boat that I was considering purchasing. I took my shoes off when I entered, and asked the owner if I may lift the hatches and check in the bilge, and whether there was any place he didn't want me to look (I realize people keep personal stuff on a boat and may not want a stranger going through their stuff). Their reply was "This isn't a survey, is it?" No, it wasn't. It was an effort to determine whether the boat was worth surveying. Attention sellers: It cost money for prospective buyers to have boats surveyed. If your boat is for sale, it is reasonable on their first visit to see the boat, for buyers to want to determine if they want to spend the money getting a survey.

But I digress. What I am in search of is a 1981 to 1985 Trojan Tricab. I believe those are the years that had the centerline double bed and the galley aft. I am not looking at boats. I'm not shopping for boats. I am going to buy a boat. I am a cash buyer who will respect you or your neighbor's property and your personal space as I eye your beauty. A perfect boat is not a must, but I do not want spongy decks (seen 'em), structural issues (seen 'em), or a boat that leaks so bad it smells like a mushroom farm (smelled 'em). I am willing to negotiate most other shortcomings. I prefer Crusader engines with closed cooling and strainers. A non-smoking boat is a must. Anything east of the Mississippi is a candidate. Closer to the Chesapeake is a plus. Something in the Great Lakes would be a plus too, because my family was psyched to cruise the Erie canal back to the Chesapeake on the last boat I nearly bought, until I hauled the boat for a survey and found hull cracks in unusual places. Being a mechanical engineer, nicely-done wiring and properly supported hoses with chaffing protection where they pass through bulkheads turns me on more than new carpeting.

If you are thinking about selling your tricab, or you know someone who might be, please let me know. I promise to be a good steward of your vessel, care for it lovingly, and not spare the maintenance dollars on its upkeep. I think that Trojans are among the best looking designs ever, and I especially like the layout of the tricabs. I just wish I owned one......

Thanks, Perry
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
summer storm
Moderate User

Post by summer storm »

Brokers, I was looking at this f-26 on the west coast of Florida that has been for sale for so long that if you typed in trojan 26 its photo came up on google. Anyway I hired a surveyor to take some photos to kind of get a idea if it was worth the trip. The boat looked great in the photos and the surveyor told me the boat was in great shape and the owner was really nice. The report, well worth the ride. So next I call the broker and ask when was a good time to see the boat and his reply was don't waste his time unless I agree to the full price. I said "well I would like to see the boat before I talk about price" and his reply again was fine, but the price was not moving and that's that. Trying to keep calm I informed him that he has it listed for F-32 money but if it is really in the fantastic shape that he says it is in I might be close (with in 10 to 15 %). His reply-"whatever, I am not lowering the price so don't bother coming to look at it" I hung up on him. Now here is the kicker, I told the surveyor all of this and he told me that the owner just wants the boat gone and is looking for offers, and he can't understand why no one even comes to look at the boat.

that was 8 months ago and it is still for sale.
Doug

1977 F-32
1982 Chris Craft 280
1992 Boston Whaler 13 Super Sport Limited
1974 F-25 (Sold)
1979 F-26 (sold)
TJWells

tricab trojan

Post by TJWells »

charlestown marina in maryland has a tricab that from what I know is owned by the marina and for sale. its out on blocks right now. good time to check it out and they understand surveys very well.
1980 Trojan f30 twin 318's.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
todd brinkerhoff
Moderate User

Post by todd brinkerhoff »

When I bought my 10.8 3 years ago, the deal was through a broker. What the broker didn't know is that I was friends with the seller's son-in-law and already knew what the seller was trying to get. The seller had the boat on the market for 3 years, and just wanted the boat gone, but when you talked to the broker, he told me the seller was unwilling to budge on the inflated asking price, which was $10,000 more than the seller was looking to get.

I too went to do a pre-survey inspection of the boat, and paid a surveyor $75.00 to tell me whether is was worth the cost of a full survey. The broker flipped out, and told us we were not allowed to turn anything on, or look through the engine compartement, or even see if the stupid thing started until we agreed on a price.

These guys can be unbelievable. I called my buddy and told him to pass along to his father-in-law that I really liked the boat and would be willing to meet his minimum price after a successful survey, but I couldn't deal with this broker. I was called by the broker the next day, and he completely changed his tune, and was actaully pleasant.

Needless to say, brokers do not always represent their clients well. Good luck.
1991 Trojan International 10.8 Meter Express hull# 003 - 454 Crusaders
1961 Century Raven 22 - Gray Marine 327

http://s1086.photobucket.com/home/Todd_ ... hoff/index
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

I made an offer on this boat. We are within $3k, the only problem is, it is slightly out of my price range. Because I wanted this sale to go through, my first bid was for all of the allowance money my Mrs. gave me to go boat shopping, hoping that it was close enough. It wasn't. It is clean and well looked after, and more importantly, close to home. I'd like to work something out with this one, but the last thing I want to do is overpay when the market is, ummm depressed. Boat buying is always a balancing act of price vs. value. I'll keep you posted.

I saw the Somer's point boat ad. I have to ask, why would anyone bother to place an ad even for a little while, with no pictures? I will certainly go check it out if my current deal doesn't work out.

Thanks guys, eventually I will have my less expensive hobby....
P-Dogg
Active User

Post by P-Dogg »

I accepted the owner's counter. Had the survey today. Things went much smoother than the first time I saw the boat. The owner reports that his wife was having was having a hard time letting go of the boat. It had only been on the market for a week when I first saw it. I learned today that she cried when I showed up (NO JOKES -- YOU PEOPLE DO NOT KNOW ME THAT WELL!) Mr. Owner was having a hard time coming to grips with the sudden prospect that he might have to part with his boat too. He thought that it might not even sell this season, then here comes this serious buyer right away.

Well, this time we hit it off, not the least of which was due to his knowing that I was coming today. I think the owner is a downright nice guy, and I know he will miss his boat. It is obvious that he took care of it. Being present at the survey, he also learned some things about his boat today that he didn't know before ( not all of which were, ummmm, positive). I hope we can work through the descrepancies and move this deal along. It will not be his second happiest day, as I can tell he really cares about his boat. More to follow after I see the survey.....
rooferdave
Moderate User

Post by rooferdave »

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicle ... Z387776575

if its not too late this looks pretty cool
1976 Trojan 360 Flybridge needin a whole lotta luvin!
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

Dave,
That boat is at my (other) marina.... Moose Deer Point marina.
Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL
rooferdave
Moderate User

Post by rooferdave »

is it as nice as it looks?
1976 Trojan 360 Flybridge needin a whole lotta luvin!
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

Yes... pictures are recent and accurate as it says.
Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL