considering an F-32

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

TBone
Sporadic User

considering an F-32

Post by TBone »

Guys-

New to the forum, its awesome.

I am considering the purchase of an F-32. the one I am looking at is a 1977, second owner, re-powered in the late 80s, has about 800hrs on motors. (318 Chryslers)

the guy that owns it cant maintain it any more due to heath reasons, and he is willing to almost give it to me.

the engines run, I didnt start the generator. Its still shrink wrapped and has been for the last 4 years. Its in serious need of some cleaning and updating.

I am thinking of purchasing her, then spending some money on the motors and gen set to get them up to full operating condition. Then launch it next season. then tackle all of the other work while she is in the water.

I will be digging and asking lots of questions here.

Tom
rossjo
Ultimate User

Post by rossjo »

Good luck - lots of info to search on here - and ask any question you like.

Where are you ...and the boat? What boat(s) do you have now?
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17
TBone
Sporadic User

Post by TBone »

I currently have a Carver Montego 27. Its not a bad boat at all, my wife and I want something a little bigger.

Previous to the Carver, I had a Pursuit 2150 Express, and Cruisers Rouge 2120 ( big block)

I just south of Boston Ma. and the F-32 is local.

I have my Carver listed local, but I am in no hurry to sell. If I decied to go through with the F-32 I will have her transported to the house and work on it while still enjoying the Carver, until that sells.

Tom
TBone
Sporadic User

Post by TBone »

WEll, its offical, I am an F-32 owner. I was looking at a number of them in the last few weeks. I was seroiusly interested in 3 particular ones. 2 of them were just under the 15K price point, the other was well under that.

Out of the 3 I looked at, the cheapest is the one I chose. It was oddly enough, in the overall best condition.

I will be posting pics soon, it will be leaving the yacht club I purchased it at, and it will be transported back to my house where I will be working on it.
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

Post by aaronbocknek »

MAZEL TOV TBONE!!!!! we cannot wait to see pics of your new baby. tell us the back ground story on why the least expensive (never say cheapest :D )
was in the best over all condition. again, congrats and welcome to some of the best boating folks out there.

tri cabin aaron, baltimore, md
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
k9th
Ultimate User

Post by k9th »

Congrats TBone and welcome to the forum. Please post pics as soon as you can.
Tim

"SeaDog"
1979 36' Tri-Cabin
TBone
Sporadic User

Post by TBone »

All 3 boats were suffering from soft spots on the flybridge. All three were powered by the 318s. I went with the least expensive for a few reasons. All 3 boats needed work, some glass work( i am more than able to do). The least expensive needed the least amount of cabin work, and it was the only one that had been repowered. Granted it was repowered on the mid to lat 80s, repowered none the less.

Also the fore deck and gunwals seemed to be the most solid.

The guy i purchesed it from is the second owner( i belive). He knows the original owner aswell. Both of these two took great care of the boat. A friend of mine has know both owners for years. My friend is actually the one that told me about the boat.
The boat itself has been shrinkwrapped for almost 5 years now, after the last owner has an industrial accedent that almost left him paralized. He is able to walk now, but does not have the mobility to have such a big boat, with so many stairs/ladders. He recently gave up on being able to get enough mobility to use it again. He knows it needed some work, he didnt want to see it donated and not taken care of. He wanted to find someone that would restore and enjoy the boat.

I got the boat for $1000. plus transport( 235.00). I figure that will will sink about 15k into it and have a beautiful boat.

This will be my third boat restoration.

I restored a 1988 cruisers rouge 2120, it had a soft fore deck and bad engine beds, no motor. I rebuilt the fore deck, updated the gauges and installed a big block motor. She was a screamer when i sold it.

Then i picked up a pursuit 2150 express after someone launched it with out the garboard plug. She went down and junked the 4.3 V6 motor and a bunch of the wiring. I pulled every wire out of the boat, rewired it, repowered it with a 300 hp 5.7. Completely redesigned the dashboard. I sold that boat recently she was a real head turner. Tyats when i got the carver. I was looking for a bigger boat, but the carver was a good price, and needed a few small things to increase her value. That work is completed and now she is forsale. Im asking higher money than i should for the carver in this market, but not unreasonalbe. Im looking for a slow sale, so i can enjoy her while i work on the new boat.
297Elegante
Sporadic User

Post by 297Elegante »

Did I read that right, $1000? That's a steal of its in really any serviceable shape. Let's see some photos of the boat. Was she in MA?
Boat: Silverton 34C T/270s, Gen
TBone
Sporadic User

Post by TBone »

I was there yesterday to check a few things, forward bildge stringers are SOLID along withe the inner and outer engine bay stringers.

A battery was charged and almost everything works (blowers pumps lights)

The game plan now is to remove the shrink wrap, then the bridge and console. Once the bridge sole is repaired, i am goint to redesign the console, add some storage, and an area to flush mount 2 10"-12" screens

Once the bridge sole, and console are complete, i will the smooth out and fix any blemishes on the flybridge itself, followd by some awlgrip. Im thibking i am going to work my way down the boat from the top, and change the color scheme as i go. Maybe a cream color from the rubrail up and a flag blue hull. Not sure.
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

Post by aaronbocknek »

i love stories like this. you know her history, which is rare. you can appreciate her for who she is. (yeah i know, but i look at these vessels as having a soul)

i can't wait to see the before, during and after, as i know everyone else on here wants to see it too. once i finish with my radiation and chemo, and i return to flight status, i'd love to see the boat on my next boston layover.

aaron in baltimore.
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
TBone
Sporadic User

Post by TBone »

297E. You read right, 1,000.00. Thats all. Trust, i have my work cut out for me.

She was in Quincy Ma., and will be transported to Rockland in the coming weeks. Ill have pics soon

Tom
297Elegante
Sporadic User

Post by 297Elegante »

Congrats, thats a steal! I look forward to the photos and hopefully to follow the progress of fixing her up.
Boat: Silverton 34C T/270s, Gen
gopher

F32

Post by gopher »

ironically.. Im looking at a couple too, for some reason, they're
all mid $20's here.. and theres one 36' sport fisherman.. at about $1000 a foot.. nice design though..
..oh wait.. rambling....
... got a line on one.. $10k.. bought last year from 2nd owner.. 1973..same as my f26
... guy has no time .still shrink wrapped.. moved out of city. now.. heres the question... two of the 3 front windows will need replacing.. got cracked...no leaks, and the boat stalls at idle.. He thinks coils.. im wondering if bad fuel..
How hard are the windows to replace?

Thanks
Greg
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I think there has been a few threads on the windows , try a search . Yes bad gas can cause a stall and other issues . Boat has been sitting so there could be lots of surprises , get survey but lots of stuff could show up afterwords .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
TBone
Sporadic User

Post by TBone »

I agree with the survey. on this boat, I skipped the survey only because I knew I would be rebuilding the boat. I did however check the stringers (OK) and inspected the bilge, bridge, ect. I had about 4-6 hrs on the boat looking and diggin through it before I offered the cash. I have a fair idea on what I am in for.

As far as a boat that your laying out some $$$, survey, survey, survey!\