getting the motors out of a aft cabin tricabin

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

kevin babineau
Moderate User

getting the motors out of a aft cabin tricabin

Post by kevin babineau »

well ive got a guy with a boom truck but the boom isnt gonna fit in the window. im hoping to just bring the cable down through the window and muscling the motor back and through the window. any experience with this?
Vitaliy
Moderate User

Post by Vitaliy »

your terying to get the motor out through the window of a tricabin....? im assuming the back window??

good luck with that task man, sounds like a huuuge effort
kevin babineau
Moderate User

Post by kevin babineau »

yes the back windows...i was hoping for any suggestions..i guess it is silly question since that is the only option but i figured someone here might have a suggestion on a gantry or something they made/did
jddens
Moderate User

Post by jddens »

Some disassemble the engine, remove heads, manifolds, intake, trans....etc.... and end up with just the block to remove.......maybe more work but might be easier and safer in the long run....................John
1972 Trojan Sea Raider F30 - FI 350's "Time Warp"
1998 Kawasaki ZXi 1100
1972 Chevy Fleetside Shortbed hotrod.......450hp
10.5 Newport Inflatable w/15hp Rude
kevin babineau
Moderate User

Post by kevin babineau »

thanks john i agree but the 454s are complete and they will be going in.. if i get some 'learning' getting the old one out it might make getting the new ones in.
1995 390 express
Sporadic User

Post by 1995 390 express »

hey kevin-i don't know your boats location but if your at a marina with a good size fork lift you can rig a chain fall to the end of the forks. it worked for me but i didn't have the cabin issues. good luck
kevin babineau
Moderate User

Post by kevin babineau »

thanks but i am on the hard at my house.
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

A backhoe can do it you might have to attach a reach boom. Good operator can use it like a hand. That is what I used on the hard but my engines are at the stern.
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
gettaway
Active User

Post by gettaway »

Rig it..

Build a frame from timbers and lift the motors out of the stringers, put the sole, or a temprary plywood floor down and roll the engies to the hatch or window on a good furniture dolly, this way, you get the motors in an easier position to pick from the cabin without worrying about trying to reach all the way into the boat with some sort of boom , fork etc.

I pulled the engines from my F32 with this method and a friend.
I built (2) 2X4 "A" frames that rested on the saloon sole at each end of the engine hatches, spanned the opening with a 4x6, added a couple of gussets and lifted the engines straight up with a chain hoist, I put the hatches back in place, I placed 2' x 8' pieces of 5/8" plywood over the haches, out the sliding rear door sill and over the cockpit floor, I lowered the engines onto a heavy duty furniture dolly, I then rolled the engines out the door into the cockpit and lifted them out of the boat with a hoist at the cub, took anout 45 minutes to get both engines out.

I had the engines ready prior to moving the boat to the hoist, so that expedited the process, but getting the manifolds and risers off, starter alternator, cooling system and raw water pump makes the engines much lighter and a lot smaller in deminsions

I'll post a few photos if your interested, but, I dont want to be accused of
"showing off" the 165's! LOL :D :D :D
1984 Silverton 37C
Silver Lining
Scott
kevin babineau
Moderate User

Post by kevin babineau »

i like pics!
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

uhhhh oh i beleave we went through this when I pulled my out of the 25, back hoe, rigging etc :lol:
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

No offense to those who have already posted, but I suggest you not do anything until you get some responses from the TriCab guys that have done this already. Every boat design is different, and a method that works for one design may not work for another.
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

captainmaniac wrote:No offense to those who have already posted, but I suggest you not do anything until you get some responses from the TriCab guys that have done this already. Every boat design is different, and a method that works for one design may not work for another.
+1 on that!!! mine was scary!! its not a job for the light hearted and its all different for each model boat like Capt M says.... reguardless it stinks and takes some serious thinking!!
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

Yeah jeff I remember. You succeeded, also
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

:lol: yes I did and the ppics are in my file. But!!! I still have to get a complete motor back in. Im not fighting his issue, but its not an easy issue on any boat!! just takes some thinking and planing, he will figure it out....