Answering a question about a Carver 370/390

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

Post by aaronbocknek »

two things caught my eye. maybe it's the meds, maybe i'm just looking too closely. take a look at pics 34 and 39. pic 34 shows the 'rebuilt' helm panel and pic 39 is a close up of the hour meter. do the cutouts look a bit amateurish or is it just me. the holes are 'less than round'.
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Looks like someone made a pannel with cut outs and put it over the existing dash and gages
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
kevinz

Post by kevinz »

Our 1995 Trojan 350 is a great boat!!! Well built, easy and safe to get around, runs and handles great (following seas can be a pain) and it is not a cookie cutter searay or other mass produced that you see on the docks
-1995 350 express
with big blues (454 Crusaders)
-2011 Caroling Skiff J-14 (Tohatsu 30hp four stroke)
-1996 Sea Ray SeaRayder jet (Merc 90hp)
-1990 BeachCat 20. Fiberglass pontoon (2013 Merc 60hp big foot)
todd brinkerhoff
Moderate User

Post by todd brinkerhoff »

kevinz wrote:Our 1995 Trojan 350 is a great boat!!! Well built, easy and safe to get around, runs and handles great (following seas can be a pain) and it is not a cookie cutter searay or other mass produced that you see on the docks
Great boat you have. One of my favorites is the Carver Trojan 440. It's a beast.
1991 Trojan International 10.8 Meter Express hull# 003 - 454 Crusaders
1961 Century Raven 22 - Gray Marine 327

http://s1086.photobucket.com/home/Todd_ ... hoff/index
Ihave2trojan

Re: Answering a question about a Carver 370/390

Post by Ihave2trojan »

How come an I can't find any info no docs no service manuals on Carver site help. 1994 390 express
1Trojan Boat away from having 3 Trojan Boats. {1. 1977-78 F36 Tri Fly twin Chrysler 360} { 2. 1994 F-390 Express }
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Guess you need to ask carver . I have told the support is better for the Trojans built by the no longer in business Trojan co. then the still in business Carver co. Kind of sad
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

prowlersfish wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:59 pm Guess you need to ask carver . I have told the support is better for the Trojans built by the no longer in business Trojan co. then the still in business Carver co. Kind of sad
Ask any Trojan owner.

between this website, the Facebook page, www.Trojanboat.com and of course the tremendous support and resource asset of BEACON MARINE...……. for an orphan BRAND, the Lancaster Trojans have a tremendous support system.

Better by far than that of many vessels currently in production

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
rickalan35
Moderate User

Post by rickalan35 »

Shane,

Ask away. I own one of these boats.

Rick
Trojan 1994 370 Express, 502 Bluewaters
rickalan35
Moderate User

Post by rickalan35 »

Hey Guys,

Ever notice how when I say something like, "I own one of these boats and will try my best to answer your questions."............. the guy never returns? I must scare the heck out of them

Rick
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

rickalan35 wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:28 pm Hey Guys,

Ever notice how when I say something like, "I own one of these boats and will try my best to answer your questions."............. the guy never returns? I must scare the heck out of them

Rick
Could have been me as he asked a question about the carver site it self not a question about the boat and I have no clue about their site .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Reel Easy
Sporadic User

Post by Reel Easy »

rickalan35 wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:05 am Shane,

Ask away. I own one of these boats.

Rick
Shane. I'm getting ready to rebed all of the deck hardware. Is there access to the bottom of the bow rail fittings? Is there a threaded backing plate or just nuts and washers? I have a 99 built by Carver so they may be different. I've looked around a little but I didn't see anything on the underside. Is it possible the nuts or plates are in the glass and core?
Dustin
78 F-32 Express Hard top twin 360s Abyss
1999 360 Express twin 7.4
Catawba Island, Ohio
rickalan35
Moderate User

Post by rickalan35 »

Hi Reel Easy,

Don't know if you're first name is Dustin or if your former boat was.

I’m assuming your current boat is a 1999 Trojan Express 410.

As far as I know, these boats were all based on the same 39’ 4” hull with mostly the same components. There was however I believe a change in the shape of the radar arch for your year.

So, I’ve searched through my manuals and the only reference I can find referring to the manner of attachment of the railings is as follows:

“Wooden or metal backing plates are used where equipment and hardware are fastened. Many of the plates are laminated into the fibreglass. High stress areas receive additional layers of fibreglass laminates as reinforcement.”

and also:

“Stainless steel and aluminum are used throughout. The bow and grab rails are welded from 16 gauge 1” and 7/8 diameter stainless steel rail.

And also:

“Deck fittings, rail bases, window frames have all been sealed with the highest quality of sealants available.” Fittings that have begun to leak must be re-sealed. Remove the fitting and clean the old sealant from both mating surfaces. Reseal the fitting using the sealant recommended by your dealer.

Of note and hopefully providing some welcome information for you is a nearby paragraph dealing with the solid nature of the hull (not laminated) in these boats and one of the reasons I bought mine:

“The one-piece seamless hull is made of numerous layers of various types of laminated fiberglass. It’s strength is derived from laminating several carefully selected hand laid layers of fiberglass materials that have been impregnated and bonded together with polyester resin. The hull does not contain any balsa wood coring materials.”

Dustin, I don’t know if any of this is of any help to you. Anyway, if there’s anything you want me to look up in the manuals that I have for my ‘94, just let me know.

Thanks and good luck with those railings.

Rick
rickalan35
Moderate User

Post by rickalan35 »

Whoops - In the previous post when copying the manual's information about the hull, I meant to add in brackets (not cored) instead of what I did write which was (not laminated)...... my bad

Rick
Reel Easy
Sporadic User

Post by Reel Easy »

Rick, First thank you for the response. And yes my name is Dustin. I have the 78 F-32 Express and I just got a 99 360 Express. Thanks again there isn't much info online about these models. The Carver support is weak.
Dustin
78 F-32 Express Hard top twin 360s Abyss
1999 360 Express twin 7.4
Catawba Island, Ohio
rickalan35
Moderate User

Post by rickalan35 »

You're dead right about the lack of info, Dustin. I do have a feeling that if we got our hands on the right guy over at Carver they would have stacks of manuals for our boats, sitting around somewhere collecting dust.

I was just simply fortunate enough to receive every scrap of historical paperwork as relating to my boat from the previous owner. He kept a very detailed log book as well.

Last spring I noticed and subsequently purchased a sales brochure on Ebay, but it was for your model, not mine. You can't easily tell the difference. It looked so similar to mine. They must have truncated something, somewhere. I'll look around for it (my wife stole and then re-modeled my office and so things like that got packed away.)

Don't know the situation with your boat but I wish you the best of luck with her. My 370 backs down into a slip much differently than my former 36 Tricabin did. But once I got the hang of it, it's been spot on to dock. Deeper than normal draft = 4 feet 2 inches. Props emerge from the bottom on a steeper angle than usual. Shafts are very heavy duty. Big wheels. I'll be interested to hear if you're 35 foot hull is similarly designed.

Cheers

Rick